Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    My bluetooth reception is terrible compared to my last phone (touch diamond) Using A2DP or headsets the result is the same. I need line of sight. The music skips and or the connection drops if I don't. Even when my headset (jawbone prime) is only connected and I'm not even on a call it will still disconnect if I don't have line of sight with the phone. So I can have the headset on and when I put the phone in my pocket it will disconnect from my headset. Same deal with stereo headsets. If the phone is anywhere where there is not a direct line of sight with the pre, music skips and after 3 seconds the headset disconnects. Is my Pre defective or are all of them like this?
    Global Posts
    22 Global Posts
    My Pre has pretty good bluetooth reception with my stereo headset, it only seems to have a problem outdoors sometimes (I went for a looong walk yesterday in the nice weather and did experience a few skips a few blocks from my house, but no disconnects). The only issue I have with bluetooth is that it really seems to cut my battery life, otherwise at work I pretty much have my phone at my desk and rock out with my headset at my workbench around the corner.

Actually my bluetooth seems to have better than advertised range since I made it almost to the bathroom down the hall before it cut out (more like 30 yards compared to the advertised 30 feet) at which point I realized that my phone was on my desk rather than in my pocket!

Maybe there is some kind of interference at your home/office/whatever? I've seen wireless devices that cut out in the presence of microwaves, flourescent lights, high-power electric lines, cordless phones, etc.

I have a tendency to think that your bluetooth works since you can get a connection. Maybe disconnecting your bluetooth, resetting your jabra (don't know how it's done since I don't have one), and resetting your phone will refresh your connections and make things better. Completely rediscovering from scratch might make it switch channels or something to get around potential interference.
    It could be a factory defect or something, but I cannot even put my pre in my pocket without losing headset connectivity. It reminds me a lot of the first generation iphone. Bluetooth is pretty much useless.

For the record, I have B&O Earset 2 which is the best BT headset I've ever used on my iphone 3G/3GS. I came here to see if it was worth getting a Jawbone prime, but I think I'll keep the money and use my wired "theboom" headset with the pre.
    Global Posts
    181 Global Posts
    yeah, it might just be an issue with your phone. I have the S9-HD and can put my phone down and hear clearly as I walk around my apartment, even in different rooms. I have notice a skip from time to time, but was not sure if that was the BT or Pandora.
    Quote Originally Posted by aut0maticdan View Post
    It could be a factory defect or something, but I cannot even put my pre in my pocket without losing headset connectivity. It reminds me a lot of the first generation iphone. Bluetooth is pretty much useless.
    Mine was like that. At first I thought it was just my older headset so I got a new blueant one. When it was still bad I took it back and exchanged it. Sprint tried to sell me an even more expensive headset. They then paired it with others and tried to say it was a "little" better. I finally told them I would just cancel my account and they decided to exchange my pre. New one worked great with BT (but has a little oreo action, not bad, but there)

So yes, there are some with a BT problem.

Steve
    i've been using a plantronics 925 with my pre. so far it has worked really well.
    Accessories that I'm using with my Pre
    -Palm Leather Slip Case for Pre
    -Plantronics Discovery 925 Bluetooth Headset
    -Touchstone Charging Kit
    -2nd Touchstone Dock (for office)
    -2 International Travel Chargers
    -2nd Palm Battery
    -Palm Spare Battery Charger
    Global Posts
    660 Global Posts
    Well I originally was using the Plantronics 855 and now use the Jabra BT8040 and both work flawlessly.
    Last edited by edlex; 07/22/2009 at 10:36 AM.
  8.    #8  
    Took phone to sprint today. Will pick up the new one TMRW. I'll let you guys now whats up with the new one.
  9.    #9  
    New phone's bluetooth seems solid. I can put it in my pocket and behind my back with no skips. Sprint tried to get me to wait until they ordered one because they didn't want to give me a pre from their small stock. When I asked to speak to the manager they changed their minds.

I would definitely recommend to anyone who has problems with bluetooth reception being incredibly lame to get the Pre exchanged.
    glad that worked out for you and thank you for posting a follow up. I was about to tell you how my pre is on par with my old touch pro (same BT stack as the diamond, I believe). good to know this is a defect and not par for the course.
    Global Posts
    638 Global Posts
    Im going to go into the store next week ask for an exchange and have them order me a fresh one my current warranty date is 7/7/09 but my phone issues are: Touch Screen isnt always responsive I have to turn the display on and off to get it to work, it re set itself a few times, and ugh BLUETOOTH has never been such a bad experience in my life it drops and connect AWFUL slow like they need to rearrange it or something but I think to be safe I will ask for an exchange since I just got it last week I dont want to surpass 30 days and get a refurb
    Yeah I've had this issue from day one. Using the Altec Lansing Backbeat 903 stereo bluetooth heaset. I can get up to about 25 feet away in my apartment with several walls in between and it won't lose the bluetooth signal. However, with the Pre just on in my official Palm leather belt pouch (the one with the magnetic fastener and the little pull tab to make removing the Pre from the pouch easier) it will regularly skip. Seems like the magnets used to fasten the pouch closed are interfering. Bullocks.

For the record, I have B&O Earset 2 which is the best BT headset I've ever used on my iphone 3G/3GS. I came here to see if it was worth getting a Jawbone prime, but I think I'll keep the money and use my wired "theboom" headset with the pre.
    automaticdan... i also have "theboom" headset but with the pre the mic is super sensitive and is picking up too much background. are you getting the same?
    Global Posts
    59 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Auberon Barnable View Post
    Yeah I've had this issue from day one. Using the Altec Lansing Backbeat 903 stereo bluetooth heaset. I can get up to about 25 feet away in my apartment with several walls in between and it won't lose the bluetooth signal. However, with the Pre just on in my official Palm leather belt pouch (the one with the magnetic fastener and the little pull tab to make removing the Pre from the pouch easier) it will regularly skip. Seems like the magnets used to fasten the pouch closed are interfering. Bullocks.
    I have the same headset, and I have the best buy rocketfish case, if im indoors walking around with phone in pocket I get no skips, if im outside though i get random skips even if I have it in my hand, maybe wind? I dunno...
    I too had a horrible experience with bluetooth with my Pre. As long as I wasnt moving, I wouldnt get skips and disconnects. But the audio quality in both the Headset and A2DP profile (especially the A2DP) was HORRIBLE. The music seemed to miss most frequency ranges and just replace it with static. Many of my callers complained of static while on a call. Mind you, I am no more than 4 feet between phone and BT device.

I hope Palm fixes this ASAP in the next firmware update.
    Global Posts
    29 Global Posts

Hello aut0maticdan,

I've got horrible quality with my B&O Earset 2 as well. (Bang & Olufsen) The quality is poor, and it disconnects after about 10 seconds of use. Bummer. I really like this headset.

However, it works fine in the 4runner with the factory stereo and bluetooth headset. No disconnects, good quality sound.

Maybe it is a Pre vs. B&O thing? I'm really bummed, because like you, I feel the B&O is the best headset out there.

I don't really have a solution, just letting you know you aren't alone and future searchers too.

Thanks,
    -Who Dah?
    Just got my pre on 8/6. I had/have a touch pro.

BT seems to be absolutely horrible on the pre. Even line of site, I walked no more than 10ft away from my desk and instant static. That was with a blueant Q1. I have a 925 and a Jawbone prime I'm going to try it with. Already annoys me it doesn't work with my 09 Nissan car, but if it doesnt work with my other headsets, I may let them do a swap and test again.

This is a basic function of the phone and if it's not going to work for me, I'll switch back or something.
    Global Posts
    196 Global Posts
    i have the reg. s9's from when i had my instinct. on both my instinct and my pre, if phone is on my waist while working out, music skips- especially if im laying down on a bench/floor. i found that if you get an armband(only one i found for pre is on ebay, and looks kind of shoddy) this remedies the skipping problem. Also, if you are outside next to a moving highway, this interferes with the bluetooth transmission.
    Global Posts
    770 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by lamboh View Post
    i have the reg. s9's from when i had my instinct. on both my instinct and my pre, if phone is on my waist while working out, music skips- especially if im laying down on a bench/floor. i found that if you get an armband(only one i found for pre is on ebay, and looks kind of shoddy) this remedies the skipping problem. Also, if you are outside next to a moving highway, this interferes with the bluetooth transmission.
    It also works well in the back pocket (with my s9hd's..)
    -mark
    It is an issue with the B&O Earset 2 unfortunately. It suffers from a known issue with the iPhone 3G S, Palm Pre and a few other newer devices where it spontaneously loses its pairing with the phone.

I had to pass up a very good deal on one recently because of it.

Quote Originally Posted by whodah View Post
    Hello aut0maticdan,

I've got horrible quality with my B&O Earset 2 as well. (Bang & Olufsen) The quality is poor, and it disconnects after about 10 seconds of use. Bummer. I really like this headset.

However, it works fine in the 4runner with the factory stereo and bluetooth headset. No disconnects, good quality sound.

Maybe it is a Pre vs. B&O thing? I'm really bummed, because like you, I feel the B&O is the best headset out there.

I don't really have a solution, just letting you know you aren't alone and future searchers too.

Thanks,
    -Who Dah?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast