Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Global Posts
    15 Global Posts
    I also had the same issue with the palm case. Luckily, I also had a screen protector taking the "dings". I've since returned it and picked up a body glove case at walmart for $17. No worries on dings, scratches with this case. I am still keeping my options open for other cases but this body glove case will definitely do for now.
    Quote Originally Posted by ryder4321 View Post
    I also had the same issue with the palm case. Luckily, I also had a screen protector taking the "dings". I've since returned it and picked up a body glove case at walmart for $17. No worries on dings, scratches with this case. I am still keeping my options open for other cases but this body glove case will definitely do for now.
    Which case from Walmart? Is it a universal case or is it made for the Pre. Is it leather, magnetic. I am too looking to replace this case.
    Global Posts
    15 Global Posts
    It's a universal case. Unfortunately it's not leather. However, the pre fits perfectly in the case (to me at least).
    Quote Originally Posted by dfine1966 View Post
    Which case from Walmart? Is it a universal case or is it made for the Pre. Is it leather, magnetic. I am too looking to replace this case.
    It is by "Case Logic". It is called the "executive series" and it has a blue border around the edges. UPC part number: CL503SLH. It fits the pre perfect with a little room incase you have a protecive skin on it. It is Leather, felt lined and has hidden magnet closure.
    Global Posts
    227 Global Posts
    Dang! I have the similar issue; but I see no indentation on the screen (covered by a perfectly installed Invisible Shield). Instead, I see a light smudge on the display when on a white screen (i.e. blank text message). No “smudge” when the screen is off and I see no “smudge” on the IS.

I purchased the Palm leather side case at the same time I purchased the phone and prior to putting any covering on the screen, I noticed a similar smudge on the actual screen. After some cleaning with a microfiber cloth, it looked great again, but now no matter what I do the smudge won’t come out & the screen had no smudge when I installed the IS.

Occasionally, I’ll see an indentation on the IS, in the same location, probably due to the case (btw: since day one, I’ve always put Pre in the case screen towards body as recommended).

Anyone notice a similar “smudge”?

In the end, my Pre is as fantastic as the day I purchased it (no wobble, no dead pixels, etc); so I’ll chock this up to lesson learned.
    Palm IIIx, Palm Vx, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Centro, Pre
    Global Posts
    660 Global Posts
    Just in case anyone is wondering, the new Seidio Surface case does not fit in the oem palm leather side case.
    I have the same thing on mine..I didnt even realize what it was until the picture was posted... I thought it was from where I swipe away the cards...Thank you for pointing this out. I will be getting a bodyglove case.
    Global Posts
    227 Global Posts
    After looking closer at WoodWulf's photo and inspecting my Palm Pre case and phone, I think the pressure "smudge" is a result of the fabric ribbon combined with the pressure of the metal plate within the case which holds the belt clip.

Anyone know how to expand the case a bit to lessen the pressure on that part of the screen?
  9.    #29  
    Quote Originally Posted by mikehoff99 View Post
    ...I will be getting a bodyglove case.
    Just an FYI on the BodyGlove Side Case. I tried that one first and it had the same issue from the stitching of the belt clip on the inside of the case.
    Same exact problem here. Does anyone fear putting the phone in the case face out? It does seem well protected and I so have a screen saver. I use a Phantom Skin which does not seem to be affected as much as the one shown in the photo (might be less rubbery / thick so showing less detents from the threads).
    I used that Palm Leather Case with my 1st Pre (since June 6th), then after 3 weeks (tha's when I got my 2nd phone), I used it with my 2nd Pre, all this time with no skin protectors; and nothing wrong happened to either phone. Now that I have BestSkinsEver on my 2nd (and almost perfect) Pre, I still don't have any problems with it, I always check before and after getting it into the Leather Case and nothing, so either my skins are better than the ones you had, or I'm a very lucky son of a gun!
    http://forums.webosnation.com/members/stargate-albums-my-pre-picture960-moving-pre.gif
    Global Posts
    660 Global Posts
    Yea I got mine at launch but only really used it when I went out to dinner being that it was more presentable than the recalled sprint holster. Naked pre never had a problem with it though. Now I have the innocase and holster combo so can't use it anymore unless I take off the innocase.
    Global Posts
    87 Global Posts
    I've noticed the line left in the middle of the screen from the case ribbon. I've always had either the protector which came on the screen, or now a Boxwave protector, and it shows up on both. It seems to buff out with a cloth, however.

The ribbon is a neat idea for getting the phone out of the pouch, but I can see where it is a slightly flawed concept.
    I understand people being bothered by the indentation, but I don't understand how it is a flaw of the case. It wasn't designed to hold the pre with a skin on it....it was designed to hold the pre, and it does that well. Its a simple side effect of a tight fitting case and a screen protector made from a soft material....not a design flaw in my eyes, and the ribbon works exactly as it is supposed to. Just my 2cents.
    Quote Originally Posted by hammersfd View Post
    I understand people being bothered by the indentation, but I don't understand how it is a flaw of the case. It wasn't designed to hold the pre with a skin on it....it was designed to hold the pre, and it does that well. Its a simple side effect of a tight fitting case and a screen protector made from a soft material....not a design flaw in my eyes, and the ribbon works exactly as it is supposed to. Just my 2cents.
    It does work by helping get the Pre out. But the flaw is that it rubs slightly against the screen when the ribbon moves. I tried it only with my boxwave screen protector on, and trust me it doesn't add any thickness. It did it when I used the ribbon or when I pulled it out of the case without the help of the ribbon. For me it was a pain have to wipe the screen down every time I had to take the Pre out. The real test would be to see if it didn't rub the screen without the screen protector on. I am not willing to take that chance on my Pre. On an unprotected Pre, the case could cause a scratch in the long run.

So has anyone without a screen protector on had this problem? If it does this without the screen protector, than it is a flaw in the design.
    Global Posts
    227 Global Posts
    So has anyone without a screen protector on had this problem? If it does this without the screen protector, than it is a flaw in the design.
    For the few weeks I had a "naked" Pre, I noticed the smudge, but it would come out with some targeted cleaning with the microfiber cloth.

I've since stopped using the Palm Pre case and am now using my old Palm Treo side leather case. Despite not having a smudge on the IS or on the screen itself (from what I could tell), I still see the smudge. I guess the only way to tell what's going on is by removing the IS, which is on there perfectly.
  17.    #37  
    Quote Originally Posted by hammersfd View Post
    It wasn't designed to hold the pre with a skin on it....it was designed to hold the pre, and it does that well.
    How do you know this? There is nothing in the product description or documentation that says that the case couldn't/shouldn't be used with a protective skin.

I would contend that it is more reasonable for a designer or manufacturer to expect that a customer would have a protective skin on their device these days. Especially if you can't use the phone while it's in the actual case.

Just my $35.90
    Global Posts
    564 Global Posts
    No screen protector, no problems whatsoever with this case.
    I've had mine for 28 days now, no screen protector. I've been watching my screen intently since this thread first popped up, but I've yet to see any type of marking/scratching from the ribbon. (There are smudges when the screen is, well, not greasy, but has a lot of finger oil on it)

So far, so good. I like the case, so I want to keep it, but I'll still be examining my screen every day, just in case.
    Global Posts
    35 Global Posts
    Well, I have used it since the Monday after launch day without a protector of any sort and I too have this problem. It is admittedly very hard to see; but in just the right light it's there and a clear wear point on the screen.

I've heard that the body glove has a rough patch inside so I will try the Smartphone Experts case and report...

Ugh... what a goofy design to use the Ribbon! I mean I really like the case, but the ribbon is contrived.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast