Global Posts
    160 Global Posts
    Hey,
    I want to know if anyone have the same problem with car touchstone setup.

It is happening in both of my cars. Touchstone will work fine for a little bit, but once Pre gets barely hot, it starts ON/OFF cycle. What I noticed that on one of the cars Touchstone "malfunctioning" when I press brake pedal. I can stay in the driveway and just press the pedal and Pre will beep with every press.
    On the other car I have the same issue and Touchstone also react to the headlights being turning on.

Ok, here is the thing. I using official PALM car charger (1000mA, 5V). I bought new Touchstone with backplate today and it is NOT solved the problem. Also I tried run touchstone in the car with Wall adapter thru the 110V inverter and still have the same problem.

Any ideas what can be done?

Thank you.
    Global Posts
    145 Global Posts
    How old is the battery in your car?
    Global Posts
    160 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rmbwebs View Post
    How old is the battery in your car?
    PT Cruiser have new battery (less then 6 month old). Smart is about a year old, so battery is not an issue.
    Certainly sounds as if the source of power from the car is restricted. I would confirm by temporarily getting my 12V from across the battery.
    Global Posts
    160 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by johncc View Post
    Certainly sounds as if the source of power from the car is restricted. I would confirm by temporarily getting my 12V from across the battery.
    I have multiple outlets thruout the car, some directly connected to the battery.
    I might be wrong, but I do not believe that the problem related to the voltage in the car. I tested outlets with the voltmeter and there is NO ANY drops in the voltage during normal driving conditions. White light on the PALM car charger never blinks, and as I mentioned before, I tried to run it thru Inverter with the Pre wall charger with the same results.

It seems that Pre picking up some type of magnetic interference when car is operational.
    Last edited by cubefx; 07/10/2009 at 12:53 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by cubefx View Post
    I have multiple outlets thruout the car, some directly connected to the battery.
    I might be wrong, but I do not believe that the problem related to the voltage in the car. I tested outlets with the voltmeter and there is NO ANY drops in the voltage during normal driving conditions. White light on the PALM car charger never blinks, and as I mentioned before, I tried to run it thru Inverter with the Pre wall charger with the same results.

It seems that Pre picking up some type of magnetic interference when car is operational.
    Did you check for a voltage drop when the brake light was on?

Quote Originally Posted by cubefx View Post
    I tried to run it thru Inverter with the Pre wall charger with the same results.
    Wasn't the inverter on the same DC source point though?
    I am successfully using the Motorola SPN5400A micro usb car charger with the Touchstone. If the Touchstone gets too hot it will start to charge on/off repeatedly, but once the car cools down it works fine. This has only happened to me once and that was when I got in my car after it was sitting in a Bart parking lot for 10 hours on a 100 degree day.
    Palm Vx -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Centro -> Pre (Launch Phone 06/06/09) -> AT&T Pre Plus with Sprint EVDO swap -> Samsung Epic 4G w/ Froyo
    I'm beginning to think we might something a little more exotic to get this working reliably...like power line conditioners, a UPS, or secondary battery system.

a quick search turns up this marine power line conditioner...pricey.

Advance Trident - Intervolt Isolated Switchmode 12V Power Conditioner 10A
    I have the same problem. No matter what I do, I can't stop the constant on/off switching when using the touchstone in my car. Occasionally it will work fine, but usually, within 30 seconds of putting it on the touchstone (if not immediately) it will start the on/off chirping.

I have the official sprint charger (as well as tried the Motorola others are using) and tried multiple power outlets in 2 different cars and got teh same results.

Can't for the life of me figure out how others are getting this to work.
    Sorry for your troubles — mine works just fine with the official Sprint Palm car adapter.

However, I had to stop using it because the radio interference was so bad that it's nearly impossible to listen to the radio. And, I'm not talking about fringe reception, but 50,000 watt clear channel KFI AM 640 in Los Angeles area from less than 50 miles away.