Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I got a Pre for my girlfriend and the reception was a little dicey compared to my Centro so I called sprint and got her an Airave. It works great but when I go out to walk my dog (Doberman) my service starts to go Willie Nilly... This will last until I get a ways from the house to get back on the regular sprint tower.

This brings up my question... Are my neighbors across the street getting worse Sprint reception now because of my Airave. I have noticed that places where I usually have good service are spotty sometimes now and I wonder if it has anything to do with multiple Airaves being around now.
    Last edited by Stevewms; 07/09/2009 at 10:08 PM. Reason: spelling
    Global Posts
    267 Global Posts
    First of all, it's an "Airave", not an "Airade".

As for the issue, the Airave is capable of handing off a call that initiates from the Airave service area to the Sprint Network. However, it is not capable of handing off a call that initiates from the Sprint Network when you enter an Airave area. You'll probably notice the reception get a little choppy during the handoff.
    What's an airade? Any relation to gatorade? Or possibly airave?
    Global Posts
    110 Global Posts
    That's a Nike or what the Germans did to London in the 40's...aka the Blitz.
    If at first you don't succeed, keep on sucking till you do succeed.
  5.    #5  
    Ok ok yall know what Im talking about.... I know it can hand off but if you live in the outer range of it did your service go crappy once I set mine up therefore causing sprint more reception complaints. The service gets bad as I walk away from the house. I get pretty far before it hands off and normally reception gets too bad to wait for the hand off. So what Im saying is if you live in the outer band of my airave signal does youe service just suck?

If Im not the only one in my neighborhood with one then you basically have competing cell towers
    The airwave will certainly retain far more customers than it will lose. In a perfect world all carriers signal would equally penetrate buildings but since that isn't the case the airwave or switching carriers are the only options.
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by Aridon View Post
    The airwave will certainly retain far more customers than it will lose. In a perfect world all carriers signal would equally penetrate buildings but since that isn't the case the airwave or switching carriers are the only options.
    I hope so. Ive been with Sprint since they were Sprint Spectrum so I'm a fan. Just noticed now that they are giving these things away like candy my service outside of my house has been a lil dicey. Maybe its due to some sort of tuning trying to get better reception for the Pre. If that's even possible.
    Quote Originally Posted by smithwicks View Post
    What's an airade? Any relation to gatorade? Or possibly airave?
    Air Rades always backfire...killing civilians is no way to bring democracy.
    "When there is no more room in hell, the dead will walk the earth"

PM me your questions, If I cant find an answer, I'll show you who can.
    I'm not sure what is going on with me then, I get better service with my Pre every single place I go, then I ever did with my Centro.
    Quote Originally Posted by Doug30 View Post
    I'm not sure what is going on with me then, I get better service with my Pre every single place I go, then I ever did with my Centro.
    That's because your a Palm apologist, a Sprint apologist, a Palm fanboi, probably don't even really exist, and if you do, you're exaggerating.

I have the same situation with my Pre over my Treo, but I figured I'd bet the trolls to you.
    Global Posts
    540 Global Posts
    I believe the airave is set up to only work with the phones on your service plan, so your neighbors phones will see the signal, but wont try to connect to it and switch off the tower they are currently connected too.
    neathings - neat·things and apps for webOS
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    That's because your a Palm apologist, a Sprint apologist, a Palm fanboi, probably don't even really exist, and if you do, you're exaggerating.

I have the same situation with my Pre over my Treo, but I figured I'd bet the trolls to you.
    Wait, what? Did I **** you off in a past life or something haha
    Quote Originally Posted by blaidan View Post
    First of all, it's an "Airave", not an "Airade".

As for the issue, the Airave is capable of handing off a call that initiates from the Airave service area to the Sprint Network. However, it is not capable of handing off a call that initiates from the Sprint Network when you enter an Airave area. You'll probably notice the reception get a little choppy during the handoff.
    Actually, it's the other way around.

Your phone will hand off to a stronger signal from the Airave but will not hand off to an EV-DO signal.
    haha lol

before opening up the thread, I thought Sprint came out with a new phone, "Airade"
    Global Posts
    319 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Sunsparc View Post
    Actually, it's the other way around.

Your phone will hand off to a stronger signal from the Airave but will not hand off to an EV-DO signal.
    Actually... that is incorrect.. The original poster had it right.

http://www.nextel.com/assets/pdfs/en...irave_faqs.pdf
    20. Do wireless calls I initiate on the AIRAVE continue once I leave the AIRAVE coverage area?

Yes, calls that originate on the AIRAVE automatically transfer to the Nationwide Sprint Network once you leave the AIRAVE coverage area.
    If you have an Unlimited Voice Plan, you will not be charged for the portion of the call that has been transferred to the Nationwide Sprint Network. Once the transferred call has been terminated, any new calls placed outside of the AIRAVE coverage area will be billed at your current wireless plan rate.
    Note: You must have good coverage outside of the AIRAVE coverage area for the call to transfer. Weak, spotty, or no coverage will not be sufficient enough for a call to transfer from the AIRAVE to Sprint’s Nationwide Network.

21. Does a wireless call that starts outside of the Sprint AIRAVE coverage area transfer to the Sprint AIRAVE when I enter the coverage area?

No, calls that are initiated on the Nationwide Sprint Network will continue on the Nationwide Sprint Network, even though you may be within the AIRAVE coverage area.
    Global Posts
    23 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by RickNY View Post
    Actually... that is incorrect.. The original poster had it right.

21. Does a wireless call that starts outside of the Sprint AIRAVE coverage area transfer to the Sprint AIRAVE when I enter the coverage area?

No, calls that are initiated on the Nationwide Sprint Network will continue on the Nationwide Sprint Network, even though you may be within the AIRAVE coverage area.
    This is exactly the problem with the airave, when your leaving its coverage area it picks a sprint tower with no issues, but its the biggest pain in the *** when i come home and the airwave signal is stronger than the towers.

Which means i have to disconnect my call and call whomever i'm speaking with back, not only because i'm not getting optimal reception but also because when your in the airaves coverage area your reception will cut out every couple seconds if the call did not originate on it.

You can also set it up two ways. The default method allows everyone within distance of your airave it use it. Which is fine if you leave a decent distance from your neighbors. The second way is more ideal for apartment or condo dwellers. Only phones that you add on your sprint.com account can use the airave. There is no charge to them, only to the account that has the airave on it.
  17.    #17  
    You can also set it up two ways. The default method allows everyone within distance of your airave it use it. Which is fine if you leave a decent distance from your neighbors. The second way is more ideal for apartment or condo dwellers. Only phones that you add on your sprint.com account can use the airave. There is no charge to them, only to the account that has the airave on it.[/QUOTE]

I think I will call Sprint and do this because its probably only fair to my neighbors. They did tell me I could give them certain phone numbers but didnt have to.

Quote Originally Posted by pomokey View Post
    I believe the airave is set up to only work with the phones on your service plan, so your neighbors phones will see the signal, but wont try to connect to it and switch off the tower they are currently connected too.
    Its open to whoever gets on. I got the Airave for and on my girlfriends plan but my phone picks it up as well.
  18.    #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by pomokey View Post
    Thats not accurate because the airave is on my girlfriends account but my phone connects to it. We have separate accounts.

Quote Originally Posted by MrDeeds View Post

You can also set it up two ways. The default method allows everyone within distance of your airave it use it. Which is fine if you leave a decent distance from your neighbors. The second way is more ideal for apartment or condo dwellers. Only phones that you add on your sprint.com account can use the airave. There is no charge to them, only to the account that has the airave on it.
    I will probably do that because I dont want to kill my neighbors service.
    Well, the Airave has really helped my signal most times although it can get a bit quirky and I get the Airave tone several times in a row on occasions.

In any case, it was free for me and I get MUCH better reception now with my Pre than I did in the house with my 755p. Since I have wi-fi for data at home the set up is really working great.

Rather than backfiring on Sprint, it has kept me a happy customer.

I will be asking my neighbors if they are having any issues though....
  20.    #20  
    Wondering if anyone has checked their signal outside their homes. I still have issues when I walk my dog but didnt end up locking the signal because then my company wont have service. Well I hope my neighbors can get their own
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast