Results 1 to 14 of 14
  1.    #1  
    So there are many threads about car chargers but most seem to be centered around price and brands that work/don't work at all. Today I bought the official Palm car charger for Pre etc. from best buy. I planned on using it for a trip i took this afternoon that lasted about 3 hours. I ran Pandora, GPS, and text messaging. Occasionally switching from Pandora to the Music player. About an 1-1/2 hour in I noticed that the charge had actually gone down even though it was 'charging'. I disabled some apps which helped slow it down, but the only way I could get it to go up in charge was to not run anything at all.

    Has anyone else experienced this problem? Or is it more like my car/power with the cigarette lighter. I've had similar problems in other cars with laptop power but not a phone. It really stinks since I can't run the GPS without the battery dying withing a few hours of a trip :-\.
  2. #2  
    Quote Originally Posted by jmichaelb722 View Post
    So there are many threads about car chargers but most seem to be centered around price and brands that work/don't work at all. Today I bought the official Palm car charger for Pre etc. from best buy. I planned on using it for a trip i took this afternoon that lasted about 3 hours. I ran Pandora, GPS, and text messaging. Occasionally switching from Pandora to the Music player. About an 1-1/2 hour in I noticed that the charge had actually gone down even though it was 'charging'. I disabled some apps which helped slow it down, but the only way I could get it to go up in charge was to not run anything at all.

    Has anyone else experienced this problem? Or is it more like my car/power with the cigarette lighter. I've had similar problems in other cars with laptop power but not a phone. It really stinks since I can't run the GPS without the battery dying withing a few hours of a trip :-\.
    I am testing the same adapter and it was working with gps and pandora. Slower for sure but it was going up (1% in 5 minutes instead of the usual 1 minute). I would exchange the one you have and make sure it isn't a "lemon", then try a different car to be positive.
  3.    #3  
    Sounds good - thanks for the help. There's a Best Buy near where I'm staying I'll try to get there tomorrow. It's worth noting the charger did work while no apps were running, although not extremely well.
  4. jgrmsmith's Avatar
    Posts
    6 Posts
    Global Posts
    12 Global Posts
    #4  
    I move my Sprint charger for Pre between my little bitty car and my wife's mini Van. In the car it hardly keeps up with just running music. In the van I can Sprint Nav, Music, and email and still charges up with no problem. I guess my little car doesn't put out but enough amps to keep it running. LOL But hey, I get 26 mpg in town and 35 on the road.
  5. #5  
    The charger is most like rated at 500mA. "Rent" yourself a 1000mA micro-usb charger from Wal-Mart and see if it is improved.
  6.    #6  
    It slows things down but I'm concerned that it might hurt my battery in the strain.
  7. #7  
    I bought the palm vehicle charger from best buy. The one with the white "pre like" box with the detachable 5v dc to usb and the usb to micro cable. Using it in a 07 honda civic si w/a aftermarket amp running as well, and it powers like a champ. Have had pandora , navi, and phone running, and always keeps 100% charge. Don't know how much the car comes into play, but my civic is no monster battery machine.

    The charger is rated 1000ma-5v dc. Model # 3453ww. Hope this helps. At least all you '07 civic si owners can safely get this charger.

    P.S.- all of the above is referring to use WITH THE TOUCHSTONE.
  8. #8  
    SEARCH

    There are many posts dealing with this one has a blue led, one white. One guy fixed it by pressing the charger into the socket harder.

    Mine works fine, but really slow if Nav is running along with Pandora and phone.
  9. #9  
    Which is the newer palm charger the one with the white or blue led?
  10. #10  
    The light on mine is kinda whiteish blue. I know that sounds kinda funny/also confusing, but its really white w/a a very light bluish hue when lit. Not trying to confuse anyone, but that's what mine looks like. Bought it about a week ago.
  11. #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by realistdreamer View Post
    SEARCH

    There are many posts dealing with this one has a blue led, one white. One guy fixed it by pressing the charger into the socket harder.

    Mine works fine, but really slow if Nav is running along with Pandora and phone.
    I was a part of that original thread where some people said the LED was blue and some said white. In actuality, according to Palm, the LED is supposed to be blue. But in reality, it looks white. So there are not 2 different models. It is one model with some people saying the LED is blue and others saying it looks more white.
  12. #12  
    Does anyone know for sure if the older palm chargers (3437ww) are the same output voltage required for the pre (5v/1a)? I have one but it does not say on the adapter what the output is, but I heard they are the same.
  13.    #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by sbpooch View Post
    I was a part of that original thread where some people said the LED was blue and some said white. In actuality, according to Palm, the LED is supposed to be blue. But in reality, it looks white. So there are not 2 different models. It is one model with some people saying the LED is blue and others saying it looks more white.
    Right, I don't believe there are two models and the LED %s very whiteish blue :-s.

    I exchanged it a moment ago and ran nav/music on a short drive to lunch - everything seemed to be running much better and in about 8 minutes it went from 80% to 84% so looks like all is well. Ill be driving home saturday so the official testing will be then.
  14. #14  
    I purchased the 3453ww today from BB and it will not keep up with my pre running gps and pandora. It wont' keep up with just gps running. At first it seemed ok, charge percentage was rising but after a while it started going down. I called palm corporate tech (level 3) and they said it is because most car adapters do not supply enough juice. The thing is I have a monoprice adapter and it charges fine (it gets really hot but it keeps up). I am worried about using the monoprice adapters because they have no internal protection and the palm one has a fuse inside. Is it my car that is the problem? I have a 2000 Ford Explorer.

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions