Global Posts
    29 Global Posts
    Ladies and gentleman, I proudly present:

"Minty Boost" Charging the Palm Pre!

It's been done before and noted elsewhere, but whatever.

I'm leaving on a trip shortly and had some concerns about when/where I'd be able to charge up. So I ordered the Minty Boost kit from the fine folks at ladyada.net. I'd originally read about the project in MAKE Magazine (awesome publication). The kit took me just under an hour to assemble.

If you have modest soldering skills, you can do this project pretty easily yourself.

I tested with alkaline AAs, but I'll be bringing rechargeables with me on the trip.
    Global Posts
    411 Global Posts
    How about you make me one and sell it to me? I will allow for a 5 cent profit on your end. LMK!

Looks pretty cool.
    Global Posts
    254 Global Posts
    What if you have no soldering skills? Going to make a few for the rest of us?
    Global Posts
    29 Global Posts
    5 cent profit sounds fair to me. My hourly rate is $1,000. Therefore I will charge you $1,000.05. Deal?
    How much of a charge can you get off the two AA batteries?
    Wow!!! Now this thing is cool!! Way more practical than many other batter boosters and it uses rechargeable batteries at that!!!
    Good luck getting that sucker thru TSA in your pocket or carry on...
    Global Posts
    411 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mdmogren View Post
    Good luck getting that sucker thru TSA in your pocket or carry on...
    LMAO, you have a good point there. He's more likely to be doing 10-20 than he is to be getting on the plane.
    Global Posts
    29 Global Posts
    Should mention I had no trouble whatsoever getting through TSA. But thanks for your concern.
    Quote Originally Posted by lars47 View Post
    Should mention I had no trouble whatsoever getting through TSA. But thanks for your concern.
    I can believe that it wasn't Shampoo or a pack of Matches ,so something resembling a Bomb should get passed right through lol

I also want to add that working in Electronics this is real cool but for $20 ad it only putting out 400ma I'll stick with my P790 for now.
    Last edited by ImNoPrince; 07/16/2009 at 06:10 PM.
    Global Posts
    29 Global Posts
    In practice I had a couple of rechargeable NiMh AAs, and I got about a 20% battery boost off them before they were toast. But, on the flip side, you can carry as many as you want. And you don't have to reboot the phone, like you do when you swap out a battery.

I suspect you could get a substantially higher boost off some of the newer kinds of batteries that are out there.
    Global Posts
    29 Global Posts
    Oh, and the kit comes with two sets of resistors, one is for providing higher amperage for modern devices, so I think that 400ma comment is off the mark.