View Poll Results: Touchstone Survey: Got induction?

Voters
69. You may not vote on this poll
  • I already have a Touchstone; couldn't wait to show off!

35 50.72%
  • I took advantage of the Best Buy deal; massaging middle-management egos FTW!

16 23.19%
  • Still on the fence; [too expensive/not sure if I need it/mommy hid the credit card/etc.]

18 26.09%
  • What's a "Touchstone?" Psh... I don't need one, foo!

0 0%
  1.    #1  
    I just bought one! Yes, I paid $140 for this kit, but that's not the end of the story...

First of all, I still believe, even after buying this kit, that the Touchstone™ system is overpriced. I strongly believe there will be a price cut within the first six months of launch. Why didn't I wait, you ask? Well, I'm impatient.

Second, even at the current prices, I got this kit at an extremely good price. The pieces, sold separately, can be had for $160. So, this kit will save you Jackson. Also, I'm only going to absorb half of the $140 cost since I was given a $70 Best Buy gift card for my troubles related to their website error on this same item (for an excellent write-up on the full story, visit this thread: http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...ml#post1735175)

So in reality, I saved $90. The total was $153.64 with tax (free shipping, woot!), but I'm not counting that in my math (neither would Best Buy when giving me the gift card, but that is to be expected).

So, I guess the moral of the story is if you have the money, the Touchstone™ is not only a sweet piece of tech that will make your life hassle free (regarding the tethered USB cover that will break at any minute), but will also make a lot of those iPhoners out there jealous, but the price is steep. Unless you were able to take advantage of the Best Buy deal, wait another 2-4 months, and I'm sure Palm will drop the price of this item to allow more people to succumb to their desires.

Anyone have the touchstone now and couldn't wait like me, got the BB deal, are on the fence, or simply don't care?

Peace.
    i got the touchstone kit for $50? through amazon. I ordered one of those and two touchstone bases for $31 apiece i think? Something along those lines.... and i went to the sprint store and hit on the girl working the front desk thing when you walk in and came out with a free wall adapter. She also offered 20% off any accessory (although she stated this deal is normal if you are purchasing more than 2 accessories) =)

i was also impatient about the touchstone waiting for the price to drop but luckily found good prices through amazon. they have raised their prices since. i would not recommend paying full $$$ for the touchstone. Good luck.
    I got two touchstone kits(69.99x2=139.98) and a OEM Palm car charger(29.99) out of the best buy deal for only 69.99 plus tax. Had them look at the Palm website to see what they were describing on there website and they came as close as they could. I was very nice about the whole thing and I think the nicer i was the more I got.
    Last edited by alvin319; 07/08/2009 at 04:39 PM.
    i got the best buy deal as well, playing dumb and being nice paid off ! ! !
    Global Posts
    102 Global Posts
    bb deal ftw!
    I broke down and bought them from Palm directly.
    Palm History: Palm III>IIIc>CLIÉ NR70v>CLIÉ TG50>Tungsten C>Treo 650>Treo 700p>Centro>Pre!! 6/5/09
    Phone History: Way too long

Sorry Timmy, SERO does not work with the Pre.
    If you have an iTouch click me.
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by alvin319 View Post
    I got two touchstone kits(69.99x2=139.98) and a OEM Palm car charger(29.99) out of the best buy deal for only 69.99 plus tax. Had them look at the Palm website to see what they were describing on there website and they came as close as they could. I was very nice about the whole thing and I think the nicer i was the more I got.
    I was hopeful that the Best Buy I went to would do something similar. I have to admit, it was slightly disappointing walking out with no accessories at all (the store was 10 miles east of my house, in the complete opposite direction of where I work). But, knowing I had a $70 BB gift card in my back pocket was a comforting thought.
    Global Posts
    28 Global Posts
    I had a few 50% off accessories @ the sprint store so I got the touchstone kit for $35 plus tax... now I am looking for just the touchstone (so I can use another one of my coupons) and I can't find one anywhere without the back plate... Don't really need another back plate... The best buy deal sounds like a good deal too and if I didn't have the hookup, I would have gone that route.
  9.    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by onebelow0 View Post
    I had a few 50% off accessories @ the sprint store so I got the touchstone kit for $35 plus tax... now I am looking for just the touchstone (so I can use another one of my coupons) and I can't find one anywhere without the back plate... Don't really need another back plate... The best buy deal sounds like a good deal too and if I didn't have the hookup, I would have gone that route.
    The Palm website sells the puck by itself for $50. However, I have not seen the puck sold solo at a Brick and mortar store yet (Best Buy, Radio Shack, Sprint stores, etc). The price may come down in a few months, so it may be wise to wait to save a bit of cash.

I'm a hypocrite, I know, since I already bought two, lol.

Link:
    Palm Pre™ Touchstone™ Charging Dock - Palm Accessories