Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I know there have been multiple threads about compatible car chargers and Monoprice cables and adapters but many of those threads are so long that the options that actually work can be hard to discover. So I thought it might be helpful to create a new stand-alone thread that would simply point people to a very inexpensive solution that works well for me. (Moderators feel free to move or merge this thread as necessary). All you need to do is order the following two items from Monoprice: item #5457 and item #3523. With shipping, this cable and adapter combination came to a total of $3.69. It works flawlessly for me with none of the flakiness that I have when using the Motorola car charger that had been recommended in several threads. I hope some of you find this information helpful.

EDIT: As suggested in a few of the posts that follow, this solution may not work well where Pandora is being used at the time of charging.
    Last edited by smartphoney; 08/10/2009 at 01:27 PM.
    Global Posts
    85 Global Posts
    Thanks for those item numbers - very helpful. I had ordered the cables from there previously but was not able to find the car adapter. 5v and 1A - it's perfect!
    I just order those items. Thanks for the heads up!!
    Thanks, was looking through that thread, too many guys said different things.

Ordered both, will report back on how it is!
    Click to Go to Shopping Cart Order Number: 1996554 - Your Order Detail

PID

Qty.
    Product Name
    Price

Line Total

Car Charger (Cigarette Lighter) to USB Female Converter - Black
    $0.93

$1.86

USB 2.0 A Male to Micro 5pin Male Cable w/ Ferrite Core - (Gold Plated) - 3ft
    $0.94

$1.88

SubTotal

$3.74
    Shipping Method Selected
    USPS First Class: 3-4 business days

S&H Cost

$2.41

Grand Total

$6.15
    I can also vouch that the following two cables will work fine between the 3523 car charger and the amazingly awesome pre as well:

4868 6 ft USB A/male to Micro USB 5 pin male Cable
    4867 3 ft USB A/male to Micro USB 5 pin male Cable

Plus these don't have the annoying Ferrite Cores...
    Global Posts
    411 Global Posts
    The best solution can be found right here in the forums. Oredered my vehicle charger around midnight on Friday and had it on Tuesday! It is a genuine Sprint vehcile charger and it's only $10. If you can't afford $10 for a vehicle charger then how in the hell did you buy a Pre in the first place?

http://forums.precentral.net/marketp...rger-10-a.html
    Global Posts
    128 Global Posts
    The best deal is by far from amazon.com. I just ordered TWO retractable car chargers with the so called IC chip to prevent overcharging and a charging light for under $10. The car chargers were about 1.98 each and shipping was $2.98 ea. and there was no tax. Yes they are 1A because they were device specific.
    Leonard Araiza

Do today what others won't so you can have tomorrow what others don't!
    Global Posts
    37 Global Posts
    Thanks for the info on these chargers.

Are they confirmed to work in the car with the Touchstone? Just asking as it is not explicitly stated.
    thanks
  11. tuz
    Global Posts
    149 Global Posts
    link, perhaps? sounds good!
    Quote Originally Posted by JC Strat View Post
    Thanks for the info on these chargers.

Are they confirmed to work in the car with the Touchstone? Just asking as it is not explicitly stated.

The monoprice chargers (both wall and car) don't work with the Touchstone.
    Palm Vx -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Centro -> Pre (Launch Phone 06/06/09) -> AT&T Pre Plus with Sprint EVDO swap -> Samsung Epic 4G w/ Froyo
    Laraiza,

I just came across your forum post. Could you please help me out by providing me with the part numbers you ordered from Amazon? Thanks!
    Yeah I ordered these parts yesterday. I can't wait to get them!
    Global Posts
    38 Global Posts
    What about the wall chargers? Any clue as to if items 4874 or 3540 will work?
    Global Posts
    38 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dabadman View Post
    What about the wall chargers? Any clue as to if items 4874 or 3540 will work?
    Those were item numbers btw...
    Global Posts
    28 Global Posts
    Just to add to the thread, I'm using car charger 3523 with micro usb cable 4867 and it works like a champ. While using SprintNav yesterday it charged at about 1% every 2 minutes.
    Quote Originally Posted by laraiza View Post
    The best deal is by far from amazon.com. I just ordered TWO retractable car chargers with the so called IC chip to prevent overcharging and a charging light for under $10. The car chargers were about 1.98 each and shipping was $2.98 ea. and there was no tax. Yes they are 1A because they were device specific.
    I prefer a retractable cable for the car. Can you provide a link or part number for the charge that you bought on Amazon?
    Pilot 5K->Palm IIIc->Tungsten T/T2->Treo 650/680 -> Pre+ (1.4.5 & Uberkernel)
    Global Posts
    623 Global Posts
    Tried this today. I'm not sure that I'm able to get enough power this way to be all that useful.

Specifically, when I got into the car, I had 40% power. Connected to this charger rig and, yes, the thunderbolt appeared to show it was charging. 20 minutes later, it was still at 40%.

I then started Pandora and let that play for about 10 minutes. When I got home, my battery was at 36%.

I suspect that if I'd not been plugged in, I would have lost more than just 4%.

But this tells me that either this charger solution supplied less power than the official Palm/Sprint one, my phone has some serious problems (I usually use the Touchstone and it charges fast), or a car charger solution just doesn't work with the Pre.

On the plus side, it was less than $4, so not much lost. I might use this only where I need to charge the phone if I'm on a long trip. But I don't see it enabling me to use navigation or Pandora while on the road.
    if you decide to get an "official one" a member of of the forums has a great deal going...

OEM Charger

$10, mine arrived in 2 days...
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast