Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by squeff View Post
    Tried this today. I'm not sure that I'm able to get enough power this way to be all that useful.

Specifically, when I got into the car, I had 40% power. Connected to this charger rig and, yes, the thunderbolt appeared to show it was charging. 20 minutes later, it was still at 40%.

I then started Pandora and let that play for about 10 minutes. When I got home, my battery was at 36%.

I suspect that if I'd not been plugged in, I would have lost more than just 4%.

But this tells me that either this charger solution supplied less power than the official Palm/Sprint one, my phone has some serious problems (I usually use the Touchstone and it charges fast), or a car charger solution just doesn't work with the Pre.

On the plus side, it was less than $4, so not much lost. I might use this only where I need to charge the phone if I'm on a long trip. But I don't see it enabling me to use navigation or Pandora while on the road.
    Has anyone else had this problem with this setup? I'd like to use the monoprice car adapter setup for navigation but I'm not sure that it's worth it if my Pre isn't actually gaining charge, just losing it slower than normal...
    Global Posts
    623 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bringithome View Post
    Has anyone else had this problem with this setup? I'd like to use the monoprice car adapter setup for navigation but I'm not sure that it's worth it if my Pre isn't actually gaining charge, just losing it slower than normal...
    An update: I went with the official Sprint charger that's being offered by someone here (look for his post) for $10. While it's not the sub-$4 price of this particular setup, $10 (shipped) seemed a good price for a charger than would work.
  3.    #23  
    Mine charges fine with the Monoprice solution except when using Pandora, where it simply stays at whatever level it's on (doesn't charge but doesn't lose any charge). I'll modify my original post to reflect this.
    Global Posts
    89 Global Posts
    Dealextreme dual car charger recommended by rogerkang who tested out various chargers/adapters and said this one was the most reliable (and even works well with Touchstone). I placed an order for one last night and will report back once I get it.

DealExtreme: $4.81 Dual USB Power Ports Car Cigarette Power Adapter (1000mA)
    Quote Originally Posted by iceburn68 View Post
    I can also vouch that the following two cables will work fine between the 3523 car charger and the amazingly awesome pre as well:

4868 6 ft USB A/male to Micro USB 5 pin male Cable
    4867 3 ft USB A/male to Micro USB 5 pin male Cable

Plus these don't have the annoying Ferrite Cores...
    I honestly don't know anything about USB cables. What do I need to know about the Ferrite Cores?
    Quote Originally Posted by gardener View Post
    I honestly don't know anything about USB cables. What do I need to know about the Ferrite Cores?
    From Ferrite bead - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

A ferrite bead is a passive electric component used to suppress high frequency noise in electronic circuits....

Basically, they stop "radio wave" from coming in/going out of the device, because the long wire can act like an antennae.
    Ah - so that is why there are difficulties with using Pandora. I get it! I'm really enjoying Pandora, so I'll get the other cords.

Thanks so much!
    I don't think this affects Pandora...

If you don't have a ferrite bead on your power cable, you may pickup alternator whine as the engine speeds change.

I think most people find the ferrite beads to be a pain, because they get in the way in the car.
    I bought the ferrite core cables from monoprice because of that reason alone.
    Palm Vx -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Centro -> Pre (Launch Phone 06/06/09) -> AT&T Pre Plus with Sprint EVDO swap -> Samsung Epic 4G w/ Froyo
    I thought my Monoprice car charger setup* was aces until yesterday when it suddenly ceased working, leaving me phoneless out in the sticks until I go home onto my Pre's Palm charger.

The Rocketfish charger I'd originally bought sucked because it would sometimes take multiple insertions to get it going (that's what she said!) but the Monoprice one would immediately vibrate and make the alert sound as the lightning bolt and "Charging battery" appeared, but y'day it never worked.

Today, I went to my car after work and the same thing happened. Fiddling with it, I found that if I pulled the charger our of the power point (formerly known as the cigarette lighter) and reinserted it, it would make the alert sound and vibrate, but no bolt or text confirmation. After the first leg of my drive home, I could tell it wasn't charging.

I bought two of the car chargers plugs when I ordered my Pre cables, but I haven't tested the other one yet. Anyone seen this happen to them or have any idea WTF is going on? Thanks.

* Charger setup:
    3523 Car Charger (Cigarette Lighter) to USB Female Converter - Black
    5456 USB 2.0 A Male to Micro 5pin Male Cable w/ Ferrite Core - (Gold Plated) - 1.5ft

UPDATE: Took the other charger out and it worked. Put the first one in and that worked, too. Huh? I'm going to see if unplugging it when it's not in use helps.
    Last edited by DirkBelig; 08/14/2009 at 09:09 PM. Reason: added update
    There are many places to get cheap computer accessories
    Dealextreme.com is a pretty good one for knick-knacks

I just got a direct 12V Car --> USB Micro from Monoprice for 1.50$ each

Item #4960 which is for Motor Razr.... also same as for BB Pearl Flip

for 5$ shipped i have TWO chargers for my 2 cars... always stay charged
    i just went to walmart and bought a 10 dollar double usb car charger and then went to a computer store and bought a 6 dollar micro usb cable and it works great for my phone and hands free headset,at the same time of course,lol
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
    I have to say that the car charger that member 'trim' is offering in this forum keeps my pre charged while using Sprint Navigation:

OEM Charger

($10, shipped, no tax)
    I'm both super! ... and a doer!
    I have the exact monoprice setup as the original post. Tried it out on a road trip in a rental car. Somehow it worked the first day (or maybe I was just not paying attention to the charge speed); but I started noticing the 2nd day that it was only charging +1% for every 2hrs plugged in.

Yet, the wall charger I got from Monoprice worked flawlessly
    Anyone know the item number for the appropriate wall charger? (I won't be using a touchstone, but I'd like to have a few different wall chargers with monoprice cables in AC power different locations.)

Edit: It looks like 3' (5457) and 6' (5458) cables and the white 1000mA wall charger (4874) seem to be products that others (on Monoprice) say have worked with the Pre.

3' (5457) http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...seq=1&format=2

6' (5458) http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...seq=1&format=4

wall charger (4874) http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...seq=1&format=2

Can someone let me know if these are right/wrong before I put in an order?

thx
    Last edited by sudoer; 10/02/2009 at 11:23 PM.
    All these car charger recomendations are great and all. But do any of these USB car charger + usb cable solutions work with the touchstone? And does it involve shaving the connector?

I bought the OEM Palm Pre car charger model 3453 at Best Buy at the recomendations I read on here that it works with touchstone. However I returned it because it worked in one car but did not work in my car.

I don't know what the output is of that Palm 3453 charger. But if that didn't work I am willing to bet these won't either. Even though they say they are 5v 1a.

I would really like the dual usb charger someone posted for both cars. That way we can charge both phones or a phone and the wifes ipod touch at the same time. I am just concerned that these usb chargers don't have the juice. I will probably just buy another sprint oem charger because I have one and it does work in my car.

Does anyone know what the output of the Palm 3453 charger is? 5a or 1a? Knowing this would give me an idea if any of these 1a would work in my car.

Also...please, please post if these work with touchstone in your car!
    Quote Originally Posted by WildSioux View Post
    Also...please, please post if these work with touchstone in your car!
    I don't have a touchstone, but several have reported in other threads that the monoprice chargers (car and wall) will not have enough juice to power the touchstone. I think one person was able to take apart a monoprice charger and glob some solder across the middle two pins of the USB output and this allowed the charger to work with a touchstone. (I'll try and search for the post later and add a link here.)
    Quote Originally Posted by NickDG View Post
    I bought the ferrite core cables from monoprice because of that reason alone.
    I learned what you mean today when my wife mentioned to me that my Palm (non-Pre) charger "messes up the (AM) radio". It clearly acts like an antenna and picks up noise. Since each of my 3 kids now have phones with mini-USB chargers, I'll probably get at least one car-charger adapter/end when I place my order at monoprice. Thanks NickDG for the explanation. I was glad to "hear" the problem first-hand and to know that the ferrite core should reduce (or hopefully eliminate) this problem!

-- Bob
    Quote Originally Posted by bclancy View Post
    I don't have a touchstone, but several have reported in other threads that the monoprice chargers (car and wall) will not have enough juice to power the touchstone. I think one person was able to take apart a monoprice charger and glob some solder across the middle two pins of the USB output and this allowed the charger to work with a touchstone. (I'll try and search for the post later and add a link here.)
    Yes i have read that too. Which leads me to believe that the USB charger isn't putting out the required 1a, or .85a of the OEM charger.

I am going to buy a few of the dual USB chargers that are at dealextreme (above post). Those have the 1a and have been reported to work. Either that or the griffin powerjolt dual usb on amazon (reviews say it charges two pre's).

And then will have to order some of these non ferrite usb cords. Does anyone know if these you can also sync? Some are unable to sync, only charge.
    Quote Originally Posted by SpeedBrkr View Post
    Dealextreme dual car charger recommended by rogerkang who tested out various chargers/adapters and said this one was the most reliable (and even works well with Touchstone). I placed an order for one last night and will report back once I get it.

DealExtreme: $4.81 Dual USB Power Ports Car Cigarette Power Adapter (1000mA)
    I have this and it works fine for me using the touchstone in the car.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12