1.    #1  
    This might help a lot of people with problems at home.

Sprint was the first wireless carrier to embrace femtocell technology, their Airave service debuting back in 2007 and allowing unlimited mobile calls over a user's home broadband connection for an additional $15 per month. Now Sprint tells Unstrung they'll be the first to offer 3G femtocell service, allowing not only improved voice signal strength in the home -- but improved EVDO/data phone connectivity as well. Sprint's of course taking a shot at AT&T's announcement this week they'll be offering femtos before the year's end:
    "Just like Sprint was the first with 2G, we'll definitely be the first in the 3G space as well," Mathew Oommen, VP of device and technology development (effectively the CTO), tells Unstrung. "We're not talking about trials; we're talking about full commercial service". . . Oommen says Sprint will be first, but he doesn't say when the 3G femtocell would arrive. And he isn't giving away details about the device, including suppliers, price, and service plans.
    Carriers of course love femtocell services because they ease congestion on local towers. Whether they're worth it to consumers depends on price and the quality (or lack thereof) of your indoor cell coverage. In some cases, the carriers themselves get in the way of the service being useful for consumers. For instance, in Verizon's case placing calls over your home broadband connection still ridiculously eats away at your mobile minutes.
    Sprint Says They'll Offer 3G Femtocells Before AT&T - Improved EVDO connectivity in the home...soon.... - dslreports.com
    Palm Vx -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Centro -> Pre (Launch Phone 06/06/09) -> AT&T Pre Plus with Sprint EVDO swap -> Samsung Epic 4G w/ Froyo
    Global Posts
    61 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NickDG View Post
    Most people who have a wifi capable phone more then likely have a wireless router and connected to cable or DSL internet. Thus, your getting faster internet then 3G can deliver.

So I guess this is great for anyone who doesn't have broadband and/or a wireless router.
    Quote Originally Posted by jp700p View Post
    Most people who have a wifi capable phone more then likely have a wireless router and connected to cable or DSL internet. Thus, your getting faster internet then 3G can deliver.

So I guess this is great for anyone who doesn't have broadband and/or a wireless router.
    Um, maybe only for the latter. Broadband is required to use it in the first place. Adding a WiFi router is easier than adding an Airave, if data speeds is the only issue. The addition of 3G doesn't do much versus 1x, unless you want to watch SprintTV. Everything else can work over WiFi.
    This is definitely bigger news for people with phones that don't have wifi. With wifi on the pre, the usefulness isn't there for me. But for others that don't have wifi on their phone or in their home, this is great news.

Also, there is somethign to be said for not having to turn wireless on and off. It's not a big deal of course, the mpre is very fast in this regard, but there is some small advantage to the fact that you don't have to flip the switch on the phone, it just works as soon as you walk in. Maybe that is worth it to some people.
    I have the Airave but usually can't get GPS signal at home which means my Airave use has been sketchy. Would this help me at all?
    What I would be really interested in is if the 3G Airave will be able to hand off to an EV-DO signal. I know for the current Airave, if you start a call on the Airave's signal, but walk into an area with a strong EV-DO signal, you're call will just drop.
    My Airave broke, I wonder if I should wait to send it back .
    Palm History: Palm III>IIIc>CLIÉ NR70v>CLIÉ TG50>Tungsten C>Treo 650>Treo 700p>Centro>Pre!! 6/5/09
    Phone History: Way too long

Sorry Timmy, SERO does not work with the Pre.
    If you have an iTouch click me.
    Put the Airave somewhere temporarily where it can get the GPS signal. On your porch, upstairs window, whatever. Once you get the GPS reception, you can move it to the permanent location. I disconnected the external antenna & can still use the Airave.
    Visor->650->Pre