Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Global Posts
    125 Global Posts
    Well... I returned my Pre only for one reason - BT compatibility with my Infiniti G35... There are many posts here and on Palm forums about the issue, Palm is not doing anything about it. While WebOS is awesome and my phone had no significant hardware build issues, it is the phone, first and foremost. If one of the major functions such as hands free calling is affected and it can't be used in many states while driving and puts me at odds with law, I would rather wait till the issue is fixed. With this said, I am staying with Sprint as there is none other wireless provides better value for the money. I will be checking this site regularly to see if there any improvements, and may go back to the Pre in the near future.
    Last edited by Alik R; 07/05/2009 at 08:34 AM. Reason: spelling
    hope they get the isse fixed for you. I have a plantonics voyager pro and noticed the range on it with my pre isn't as good as when it was used with me blackberry but it is usable. Have you reported the isse directly to palm?
    Global Posts
    125 Global Posts
    Actually I have... Called them 4 times and even spoke directly to the technical advisors from their development team. After every call they told me that issue was elevated to the highest level. They even sent me their own headset made by Plantronics. It paired off with Pre right away but it only works about 5 feet away from the phone. Anything further and there is a lot of static. So, there is a definite software/firmware issue with Pre BT as it works great with my Motorola S9. As 30 day trial was coming to an end and I haven't seen any actions on their end even after 2 WebOS updates, I just gave up...
    Global Posts
    85 Global Posts
    They aren't doing anything about it? Holy freaking cow, man! The phone has only been out for a month. You expect them to have it fixed already? Yes, it would be cool if they were that blazing fast, but even the best companies in the world take months to fix issues because they are working on a lot of things and have to prioritize. If they don't have it fixed in 6 months or by the year mark, you can decide they are slacking, but unfortunately software development doesn't really fit in the realm of instant gratification that you seem to be used to.

You also didn't mention, did they send you the headset for free? If so, that is pretty impressive by itself that they would do that..

I hate to say it Alik, but you whining because they haven't fixed it in 30 days really makes me sick, mostly because you honestly seem to think they should have it fixed that fast. If that was the only issue that needed to be fixed or the only thing that needed to be upgraded, then 30 days would likely be enough. Honestly, it blows me away that your expectations are that high. No one could meet those expectations.

For what it's worth, I've done software development, so I understand where Palm is coming from. Heck, the fact that we've even had two updates to the phone in the first month is pretty impressive. No, they didn't manage to fix your particular issue, but they fixed some other issues that were important to others (like no-SSL exchange servers).

If you are so picky that you need perfection from your bluetoooth, and you aren't willing to wait or be patient, and it is SOOOOOO critical that you sync your bluetooth to your car that you're willing to give up all the other neat features that the Pre has to offer, go for it, but it would take a lot more than minor bluetooth issues for me to give up my Pre. You'd probably have to pry it from my cold dead fingers.
    Quote Originally Posted by Alik R View Post
    Well... I returned my Pre only for one reason - BT compatibility with my Infiniti G35... There are many posts here and on Palm forums about the issue, Palm is not doing anything about it. While WebOS is awesome and my phone had no significant hardware build issues, it is the phone, first and foremost. If one of the major functions such as hands free calling is affected and it can't be used in many states while driving and puts me at odds with law, I would rather wait till the issue is fixed. With this said, I am staying with Sprint as there is none other wireless provides better value for the money. I will be checking this site regularly to see if there any improvements, and may go back to the Pre in the near future.

My pre's BT works perfectly fine with my Ford's NAV/SYNC system. I even listen to Pandora and the music app via BT. When it come to BT compatibility with automobiles, the issues don't usually lie on the phone, but rather, on the software of your vehicle's bluetooth system. Every car BT system needs software updates to support new devices, and my best guess is that you G35 is outdated, or your Car Manufacturer does not support BT connectivity from the Pre. Give Infinity a call in case you don't believe what I say.
    Global Posts
    125 Global Posts
    Mike,

my Infiniti BT is not outdated, it is actually BT 2.0. Before making any statements, I suggest checking Palm Pre forums on Palm.com under bluetooth and wi-fi. It is a general problem with Infiniti/Nissan systems including the latest 09 models of the GTR. I talked to Palm and they said in their development they have not checked any OEM systems compatibility simply assuming it would work. Someone there had a glitch in the product development cycle... The worst of all that my Treo 700wx that i have for 4 years works perfectly with my car...
    Global Posts
    125 Global Posts
    I hope it won't come to that LOL. I am not whining, I am just being realistic. There is no bashing or defection to iphone. period. We all have freedom to choose what we pay money for, and my printer is running out of green ink... hahhahah... As I stated previously, if I find out that the issue is fixed, i will go back to Pre in a heart beat...
    Mike,

my Infiniti BT is not outdated, it is actually BT 2.0. Before making any statements, I suggest checking Palm Pre forums on Palm.com under bluetooth and wi-fi. It is a general problem with Infiniti/Nissan systems including the latest 09 models of the GTR. I talked to Palm and they said in their development they have not checked any OEM systems compatibility simply assuming it would work. Someone there had a glitch in the product development cycle... The worst of all that my Treo 700wx that i have for 4 years works perfectly with my car...
    If that is what you wish to believe, then be my guess. I have worked in the automobile industry for over 30 years, and several vehicle models on a few manufacturers are not dully supporting, or supporting at all, some devices via BT. You need to check you infinity BT compatibility guide and make sure you precious infinity's BT system supports the pre. You can find such information by going to your infinity dealer or at infinity's own site.

Here is the site direct from infinity in which it clearly tells that the issue does not lie on Palm, but rather on infinity not supporting the pre.

http://www.infinitiusa.com/bluetooth/faq.html

Trust me, I have my information correct! I know it hurts to own an "expensive" car that is not compatible with the things even a focus can handle.

Here is another link in which infinity clearly has only 5 Palm devices as the ONLY Palm supported devices for the Infinity's BT system. The pre is not supported and there's no word of them even testing this device for future support.

http://www.infinitiusa.com/bluetooth...Palm&x=24&y=15
    Last edited by MikeYuse0406; 07/07/2009 at 10:22 AM.
    Global Posts
    125 Global Posts
    Mike,

this issue has been addressed with Infiniti before. their reply was that they don't go after phone manufacturers trying to test new phones, its the other way around. Palm has not submitted phones for testing to them neither any one of those guys got of their asses, went to the parking lot and actually tried it with any Infiniti products that are sold in huge numbers in CA... It was my very first suggestion to tech support when I called them... And, BTW, I do know where to go for a research when it pertains to my "precious" car hahahahaha
    I'm disappointed that my BT doesn't work in my Infiniti G37. I love the Palm but I need a phone that works hands free with my NAV. It's a show stopper for me. Pre went back. I have an iPhone 3GS now and am happy. I miss the Palm though. If they ever get it working, I hope someone will post so I can give the iPhone to my wife and re-order the Pre
    Global Posts
    19 Global Posts
    I had a Lexus RX and IS before, and my old Treo 680 did not pair with the Lexus BT. I traded in the Lexus and got a G35 and the Treo worked properly. Now I have upgraded to the Pre, and it has problems pairing with my G35. I too am upset about this but I guess this is something that I have to deal with and accept. It does not seem that I will ever get a Palm to properly pair with any car that I own.
    Global Posts
    197 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zyxwv88 View Post
    They aren't doing anything about it? Holy freaking cow, man! The phone has only been out for a month. You expect them to have it fixed already? Yes, it would be cool if they were that blazing fast, but even the best companies in the world take months to fix issues because they are working on a lot of things and have to prioritize. If they don't have it fixed in 6 months or by the year mark, you can decide they are slacking, but unfortunately software development doesn't really fit in the realm of instant gratification that you seem to be used to.

You also didn't mention, did they send you the headset for free? If so, that is pretty impressive by itself that they would do that..

I hate to say it Alik, but you whining because they haven't fixed it in 30 days really makes me sick, mostly because you honestly seem to think they should have it fixed that fast. If that was the only issue that needed to be fixed or the only thing that needed to be upgraded, then 30 days would likely be enough. Honestly, it blows me away that your expectations are that high. No one could meet those expectations.

For what it's worth, I've done software development, so I understand where Palm is coming from. Heck, the fact that we've even had two updates to the phone in the first month is pretty impressive. No, they didn't manage to fix your particular issue, but they fixed some other issues that were important to others (like no-SSL exchange servers).

If you are so picky that you need perfection from your bluetoooth, and you aren't willing to wait or be patient, and it is SOOOOOO critical that you sync your bluetooth to your car that you're willing to give up all the other neat features that the Pre has to offer, go for it, but it would take a lot more than minor bluetooth issues for me to give up my Pre. You'd probably have to pry it from my cold dead fingers.
    I tend to agree with this. In short, patience is the hardest thing to have in situations like this...plain and simple, you can't go out and get a smartphone on its release date and expect to not have some issues with it. Unfortunately, these things are NEVER perfect right out of the box.

I, for one, am waiting patiently for voice dialing and video recording capabilities, among other minor tweaks. I trust it will happen because as it stands now the Pre is very cool but is probably still behind the iPhone in many ways.
    Global Posts
    125 Global Posts
    As I said before, Pre is a great phone. It doesn't do certain things but with the future updates and upgrades to WebOS, it will. Once again, first and foremost, its a PHONE. And the basic phone functions do include BT...
    Westmar, I am not bashing the Pre, what I am saying is that the basics should always be covered in any product development, everything else is just a cherry on top...
    Global Posts
    197 Global Posts
    Westmar, I am not bashing the Pre, what I am saying is that the basics should always be covered in any product development, everything else is just a cherry on top...
    I understand what you're saying, and I'm not trying to start a pissing match, but it seems to me that most of the basics have been covered because BT works fine for me in my Honda Pilot.

If you absolutely can't live without BT in your Infiniti and/or you don't believe the issue will ever get resolved then by all means, you should return your phone. The point I was making (and the point that I believe zyxwv88 was making) is that people in general expect too much from these phones, both out of the box AND update-wise.
    Global Posts
    125 Global Posts
    I already have returned it and went back to... my old Palm Treo 700WX... works great with the car
    I just want to note that I have an 08 Nissan Altima Coupe and the Bluetooth works perfectly with it.

So I don't think this is a Nissan/Infinity across the board thing. I'd imagine it is with 'specific versions' of their technology packages and their specific implementation of Bluetooth in those packages. Just saying something is Bluetooth 2.x doesn't exactly mean it is at the same rev as the phone, etc.

Nissan certifies phones that are 'known' to work and have been tested by Nissan ... you can find that list @ www . nissanusa . com / blue tooth (pardon the spaces).

The Pre of course is not listed yet but I can testify to the fact it 'does' work with my car as it should and that is an excellent thing since my Instinct about 'half worked' with it.

Anyway ... just throwing that out there since there seems to be some Nissan bashing going on. ;-)
    Global Posts
    125 Global Posts
    if you check palm.com forums, you will find out how many Nissan/Infiniti owners are complaining about it. it may have something to do with BT/Nav package... Does your Altima have NAV package or its just equipped with BT?
    As I said, I have no problems pairing, answering calls, hanging up, caller ID, its the audio that is terrible with static and broken conversaiton
    Thanks for posting. I have a friend with a G35 and he's interested in swapping carries to get the Pre. I'll have to get with him and let him know that there may be issues with BT and that we should test with mine before he makes a decision.
    I would point out that yes these kind of updates take time. A BT change is not something they want to slam in with minimal testing. A mistake can have a very large impact to pretty much ALL phone users. I would rather they take the time to get it right. It may be easy for me to say this since I do not have your issue, but I would rather they not fix one issue and break it for a lot of other people.
    Global Posts
    197 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bmhanson View Post
    I would rather they not fix one issue and break it for a lot of other people.
    ^ A very good point.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast