Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 33
  1.    #1  
    So I have the I-go car charger from radio shack for my old htc diamond... easy I thought.. just replace the charging tip... that's the whole point of the I-go chargers. The guy at Radio shack of course said their I-go micro/usb end doesn't work with the Pre.. he said it fits.. but it won't charge or even power the Pre... seriously?Sounds retarded... anyone have any experience with this?
  2. #2  
    I haven't tried any aftermarket chargers for the Pre. They instilled me with fear when I purchased it saying "do not use aftermarket chargers." How true that is I don't know, but I'm happy with Pre #3.

    Of course, come to think of it, the car charger Sprint sells is "aftermarket" isn't it?
  3. #3  
    I'm using one every night to charge my pre ... It works every time, and actually charges my phone a lot faster than the included usb charger.

    The only issue I have had is that if I plug the phone in while the screen is on it wont always say that it is charging (it does this with my car charger as well), but if I unplug it and shut the screen off then plug it back in it gives me the charging notification. I think it's a bug that can be fixed, but not a very big deal for now.



    Long story short ... the charger works.
  4. #4  
    There have been some generic chargers that the micro USB connection doesn't go far enough in, but they have been fixed by cutting 1/8" of plastic off from the base. That's about all I can tell ya.
    My Phone & My Wife's Phone Two Unlocked GSM Treo Pro's

  5.    #5  
    sraatc17.... your talking about the I-go charger? You bought a micro usb tip for it? Just want to make sure before I go down and grab one.
    thanks for the info
    Last edited by tri0xinn; 07/03/2009 at 06:55 PM. Reason: ok.. after re-reading.. looks like you were.. thanks
  6. #6  
    Ya it's the igo charger with the A97 tip. works like a charm. I went to a friends house over night 2 days after i bought my pre and forgot the charger .... had to go to radioshack to buy a spare and this has worked ever since
  7.    #7  
    perfect! Thanks again.... Damn.. can't beat the 21st century and instant information.
  8. #8  
    Just an fyi, i mentioned this in another thread, but i tried going the igo route too, and the manager at the radioshack told me that they thought they had a tip that worked (ie. it seemed to charge the phone) but in the end it ended up damaging the phone. I decided to get a 30$ ac inverter instead since it works to charge the phone AND gets rid of the alternator feedback i kept hearing when i tried to listen to music in my car. Thats a ~500$ phone there. Best not to take any unnecessary risks.
  9. #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by Lucidlore View Post
    Just an fyi, i mentioned this in another thread, but i tried going the igo route too, and the manager at the radioshack told me that they thought they had a tip that worked (ie. it seemed to charge the phone) but in the end it ended up damaging the phone. I decided to get a 30$ ac inverter instead since it works to charge the phone AND gets rid of the alternator feedback i kept hearing when i tried to listen to music in my car. Thats a ~500$ phone there. Best not to take any unnecessary risks.
    Picked up an AC Converter as well. LOL the thing is too noisy to use!
  10. #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by sraatc17 View Post
    I'm using one every night to charge my pre ... It works every time, and actually charges my phone a lot faster than the included usb charger.

    The only issue I have had is that if I plug the phone in while the screen is on it wont always say that it is charging (it does this with my car charger as well), but if I unplug it and shut the screen off then plug it back in it gives me the charging notification. I think it's a bug that can be fixed, but not a very big deal for now.



    Long story short ... the charger works.
    Thanks for the insight
  11. carrel's Avatar
    Posts
    425 Posts
    Global Posts
    426 Global Posts
    #11  
    I would NOT use the A97. It puts out too little power. Instead the A138 tip is also micro USB and puts out enough power for the Pre. If you go to iGo's site, they now list the Pre and the A138 is the tip for it.
  12. carrel's Avatar
    Posts
    425 Posts
    Global Posts
    426 Global Posts
    #12  
    Here is the thread from the Accessories section discussing the iGo tips in much greater detail.
  13. #13  
    You can get rid of the alternator noise with a stereo cable that has a filter on it. I forget exactly what it's called, but I already have one in my car for my satellite radio... no feedback from my Pre. (Haven't tried it with a normal cable)
  14. #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by carrel View Post
    I would NOT use the A97. It puts out too little power. Instead the A138 tip is also micro USB and puts out enough power for the Pre. If you go to iGo's site, they now list the Pre and the A138 is the tip for it.
    Not sure this is true, I have been using the A97 tip for a little less than a month now and it works perfectly ... battery is at 100% every morning, and often close if I check my phone minutes after plugging it in I'm amazed at how high the battery level is already.
  15. tpmwr's Avatar
    Posts
    52 Posts
    Global Posts
    53 Global Posts
    #15  
    Ugh, people. Do NOT use the i-go chargers. GOd all the things that come into my store broken or with battery issues do to igo chargers. The igo just takes a random average voltage and feeds it to EVERYTHING. I mean you are taking a charger that outputs up to like 5 different voltages to about 4000 different devices. That doesn't sound dangerous to anyone else here? You give a phone too many milliamps and you are going to ruin it, you feel too much voltage or milliamps too fast and 'quick charge' your battery, you are going to ruin it.

    You got a $600+ phone for $200, might as well spend the extra $30 - $35 on OEM chargers. Just my 2 cents.
  16. carrel's Avatar
    Posts
    425 Posts
    Global Posts
    426 Global Posts
    #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by tpmwr View Post
    Ugh, people. Do NOT use the i-go chargers. GOd all the things that come into my store broken or with battery issues do to igo chargers. The igo just takes a random average voltage and feeds it to EVERYTHING. I mean you are taking a charger that outputs up to like 5 different voltages to about 4000 different devices. That doesn't sound dangerous to anyone else here? You give a phone too many milliamps and you are going to ruin it, you feel too much voltage or milliamps too fast and 'quick charge' your battery, you are going to ruin it.

    You got a $600+ phone for $200, might as well spend the extra $30 - $35 on OEM chargers. Just my 2 cents.
    The iGo chargers are great. I have used them for years with many laptops, phones and cameras. They handle so many devices by having different tips that control the voltage and amperage they provide. Just use the right tip. And I would be much more worried about providing too little current or the wrong voltage than I would about too much current. It isn't rocket science or voodoo. iGo has done a great job of letting me have one charger for everything, plus it works on 220, 110 and 12 volt inputs.
  17. #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by carrel View Post
    The iGo chargers are great. I have used them for years with many laptops, phones and cameras. They handle so many devices by having different tips that control the voltage and amperage they provide. Just use the right tip. And I would be much more worried about providing too little current or the wrong voltage than I would about too much current. It isn't rocket science or voodoo. iGo has done a great job of letting me have one charger for everything, plus it works on 220, 110 and 12 volt inputs.
    I've got to agree with the above. Seriously, providing too little current would be a problem for some devices. Most if not all (I haven't seen one that works differently) phones will only draw as much current as they can use.

    I've been using the iGo stuff for years and I've never had a problem. Use the right tip that regulates the voltage and amperage and you'll be fine.
  18. #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by tpmwr View Post
    Ugh, people. Do NOT use the i-go chargers. GOd all the things that come into my store broken or with battery issues do to igo chargers.
    I can't believe I'm going to be this person, but if you are going to try to give advice in a forum and try to sound like you now what your talking about it might help to use the correct word. I think you meant to say that a lot of people have come into the store with battery issues DUE to iGo chargers. Do is a different word and has a different meaning entirely.

    I'm gonna say it again, I have been using the iGo charger for 3 weeks and 4 days now. With NO ill effects. Please stop with all the horror stories unless one has actually occurred to you and your pre.
  19. #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by sraatc17 View Post
    I can't believe I'm going to be this person, but if you are going to try to give advice in a forum and try to sound like you now what your talking about it might help to use the correct word. I think you meant to say that a lot of people have come into the store with battery issues DUE to iGo chargers. Do is a different word and has a different meaning entirely.

    I'm gonna say it again, I have been using the iGo charger for 3 weeks and 4 days now. With NO ill effects. Please stop with all the horror stories unless one has actually occurred to you and your pre.
    So you spend time correcting a spelling/grammatical error and you use two yourself?? "sound like you now what your"?? Know would be correct and you're is the proper way to go for you are!
  20. #20  
    igo recommends the A138 tip for use with Palm Pre on their
    website.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions