Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by tpmwr View Post
    You got a $600+ phone for $200, might as well spend the extra $30 - $35 on OEM chargers. Just my 2 cents.
    That is great in theory but I bought the palm oem charger (3453ww) and it will not charger properly or consistently and definitely will not keep up with pandora or gps running.
    Quote Originally Posted by sraatc17 View Post
    I'm using one every night to charge my pre ... It works every time, and actually charges my phone a lot faster than the included usb charger.

The only issue I have had is that if I plug the phone in while the screen is on it wont always say that it is charging (it does this with my car charger as well), but if I unplug it and shut the screen off then plug it back in it gives me the charging notification. I think it's a bug that can be fixed, but not a very big deal for now.

Long story short ... the charger works.
    Yeah I picked up the Rockfish charger from Best Buy and I am seeing the same thing. It won't indicate it's charging unless I turn off the screen before connecting the charger. But it does work.
    Global Posts
    248 Global Posts
    jew geyes r funee.
    Ugh, people. Do NOT use the i-go chargers. GOd all the things that come into my store broken or with battery issues do to igo chargers. The igo just takes a random average voltage and feeds it to EVERYTHING. I mean you are taking a charger that outputs up to like 5 different voltages to about 4000 different devices. That doesn't sound dangerous to anyone else here? You give a phone too many milliamps and you are going to ruin it, you feel too much voltage or milliamps too fast and 'quick charge' your battery, you are going to ruin it.

You got a $600+ phone for $200, might as well spend the extra $30 - $35 on OEM chargers. Just my 2 cents.
    I have been using the same iGo power cord in my car for the past 4 years. Been through a Treo 600, Treo 700P and now my Pre. The Treo's are still in perfect working order after many, many hours attached to the iGo cord. I also have one of their iGo Everywhere's that I use to charge up my PSP and DS Lite. It hasn't damaged either in over a year.

If, I am remembering correctly, the iGo cord itself puts out a standard 12V. The tips are where the magic happens. The tips actually have the voltage regulator in them. And, if I also remember my basic electronics correctly, the proper resistor is all that is needed to drop 12V to say 5V, or 7.5 or 3, or whatever else you need. The hardest part for iGo is probably duplicating some of the more proprietary charging pports.
    Dedicated Palm User
    Palm Pre
    Palm Treo 700P - retired
    Palm Treo 600 - retired
    Palm M515 - retired
    Palm V - retired
    Palm Pilot Professional - retired
    Greetings all. Shortly after getting the Pre, I was on a trip and decided that I really needed a car charger. The only thing readily available was Radio Shack. They sell an all-in-one 12v/lighter-to-microUSB cord, but nobody had it in stock. So (as much as I hated the price) I got the iGO and the a97 tip, and it works great. No problems, charges nicely (and it feels pretty quickly, though I haven't compared to anything else).

Rob
    i work at radioshack and you want the 138 tip for the pre.
    One more quick note. After reading the other thread (mentioned earlier in this one), some people mention that the Pre only occasionally charges with the A97 tip, though there is also confusion about the charger unit itself.

I have the car charger with a blue LED, bought in early June from a Radio Shack in LA. I've had the Pre plugged in just to charge, while running Pandora, and while running Telenav (oops, "Sprint Navigation"). Have never had a problem with the phone charging.

Rob
    Global Posts
    124 Global Posts
    I got suckered into the Sprint car charger... bastids
    Global Posts
    16 Global Posts
    I have the igo car chager with the a97 tip. It sometimes charges sometimes doesn't. I went ahead and bought the oem palm charger and it works great now. I also did buy the a138 tip just waiting for it to come in the mail. I love iGo but the inconsistency with the a97 was killing me.
    folks... I manage a radioshack (number 49 in the nation out 5000 stores) so I think I have a "passing familiarity" with whether or not they work... I have both a PRE AND the iGo charger (house and car) AND the recommended tip is the 138 which works 100% of the time (had to get it from their website as my store doesn't carry it) and the 97 tip which did not seems to work most of the time in the house and even less frequently in the car. A $31 investment that also charges the better halfs blackberry (#32 tip) and my Moto Q9C (#32 tip) and brother n laws Instinct (#129 tip). Best investment in chargers I've ever made!
    I have an iGo charger in my car, picked it up cheap when CompUSA was going out of business a while back. Had no problems when charging my Treo 700wx(except when the metal clip on the connector finally broke off and made it almost impossible keeping it in.(I blame Palm for the poorly designed connection)

Do RadioShack B&Ms carry the a138 tip? I keep meaning to pick it up.
    It's been about 2 months now so I was wondering if anyone could update me on how their iGo chargers are working when running some apps? I like the iGo chargers and wouldn't mind picking one up with the A138 tip if it can reliably charge my phone will running pandora+gps.
    Global Posts
    21 Global Posts
    Ugh, people. Do NOT use the i-go chargers. GOd all the things that come into my store broken or with battery issues do to igo chargers. The igo just takes a random average voltage and feeds it to EVERYTHING. I mean you are taking a charger that outputs up to like 5 different voltages to about 4000 different devices. That doesn't sound dangerous to anyone else here? You give a phone too many milliamps and you are going to ruin it, you feel too much voltage or milliamps too fast and 'quick charge' your battery, you are going to ruin it.

ummmm you do know that devices only draw as much power as they need right?? if the mA is over what the phone needs then its ok. if the mA is LOWER, then you have a problem. IGO is the best charging system i have ever encountered. i use it for ALL my devices, ipod, blackberry, iphone, pre, nintendo ds... its FANTASTIC
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12