Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst 12345678910 ... LastLast
Results 81 to 100 of 232
  1. cashen's Avatar
    Posts
    759 Posts
    Global Posts
    773 Global Posts
    #81  
    Michigan's PRICING AND ADVERTISING OF CONSUMER ITEMS


    Ok, so i just read a crap more than i ever wanted to, but everything i've read has said BB is wrong and should make every effort to make it right by correcting their mistake, which THEY STILL HAVEN'T DONE, or sell the product at the price advertised.
    Last edited by cashen; 07/03/2009 at 09:29 PM. Reason: grammar
  2. matt3925's Avatar
    Posts
    93 Posts
    Global Posts
    102 Global Posts
       #82  
    Wow, I never thought it'd end up like this...
  3. #83  
    Quote Originally Posted by bgc42169 View Post
    Just a warning guys, just got back from Bestbuy and they dont have the 2 Touchstone kits in stock. The SKU listed in the add is the Sku for the 1 touch and back, not the 2 Touch and Back.


    Bruce
    lol.... someone hasn't read the thread
    this has been posted numerous times, but it's all good
  4. jaime7073's Avatar
    Posts
    27 Posts
    Global Posts
    31 Global Posts
    #84  
    No dice. Their argument was that the SKU listed on the website is for the Charging Kit which includes 2 pcs (Docking station & Back cover). They left it upto me whether I wanted to go forward and purchase the Charging kit or a refund, of course I chose the refund. Oh well.
  5. #85  
    No dice for me either. Tried to get them to just give two but the CS guy said he couldn't do that. Glad I only had to drive about 5 minutes, guess I'll just have to go with the $50 each online price. Bummed that I can't get it today though, my wife and I just got our pres in the mail today..
  6. tpmwr's Avatar
    Posts
    52 Posts
    Global Posts
    53 Global Posts
    #86  
    Quote Originally Posted by jayhay312 View Post
    No I wasn't talking about Palm's website. On the BestBuy website the single touchstone is listed at 49.99 and the 2 pack at 69.99. I know it is listed at Palm for more, but tell me how many times have you seen a price listed on the manufacturer's website for one price and found it at a big box retailer for less than the manufacturers stated price. I would suggest often.

    So my question: is it unreasonable as a conusmer to think I wouldn't pay 20 more for the 2 pack if Bestbuy lists the single unit for 49.99. Half the cost for a second unit. I know I have seen that deal before with other products.

    does that make more sense?

    And to repeat on someone else suggested BestBuy was the company that offered the Pre for $199 without a rebate. So why wouldn't they offer the charger at a more than reasonable price?

    But on the website the single dock is $49.99. Thats one dock, no charger no back. So you are saying it's reasonable to want 2 docks AND a charger (we sell for $35 on the side I believe) and a battery back (we don't sell but they are about $20 retail)

    Not arguing, just saying
  7. #87  
    Quote Originally Posted by Sleepwalk View Post
    No dice for me either. Tried to get them to just give two but the CS guy said he couldn't do that. Glad I only had to drive about 5 minutes, guess I'll just have to go with the $50 each online price. Bummed that I can't get it today though, my wife and I just got our pres in the mail today..
    They wouldn't even do the $50 price match for me..
  8. tpmwr's Avatar
    Posts
    52 Posts
    Global Posts
    53 Global Posts
    #88  
    The $50 touchstone on the site does NOT come with a back battery cover, nor does it mention coming with one. The single touchstone no back cover is not available in stores, online only.
  9. #89  
    Quote Originally Posted by tpmwr View Post
    But on the website the single dock is $49.99. Thats one dock, no charger no back. So you are saying it's reasonable to want 2 docks AND a charger (we sell for $35 on the side I believe) and a battery back (we don't sell but they are about $20 retail)

    Not arguing, just saying
    Good points, but one correction. The dock for 49.99 did come with a back. Just no travel cable. So again I would argue the deal as it stands is a buy one get the second half off. Meaning for 49.99 you get touchstone and charger and for 20 more you get the cable and a second touchstone. If I wasn't familiar with Palm before the purchase and I'm sure many Pre owners are not, then I don't see how this is an unreasonable assumption for a BB customer to make.
    "In the field of observation, chance favors only the prepared mind." - Louis Pasteur

    insert crapy old phone here (x3)->Sanyo 4920 -> Sanyo 8200 -> Moto Q -> Palm Pre
  10. tpmwr's Avatar
    Posts
    52 Posts
    Global Posts
    53 Global Posts
    #90  
    No, the $50 dock does NOT come with a back, I work at Best Buy, I can assure you it's jsut the dock. The $69.99 dock we sell is dock and back no cables. The $49.99 dock we sell online is dock only no back or cables. Thats what people seem to be missing.
  11. packfanlv's Avatar
    Posts
    40 Posts
    Global Posts
    48 Global Posts
    #91  
    I have ordered plenty of things online where it was a price mistake and my order got canceled. My main complaint in this is the way I was treated in store. I honestly don't expect anything from this, but I am complaining to corporate about the manager who treated me like garbage.

    For those that say false advertising, I believe that the companies are allowed to cancel orders on online price mistakes. I have had Staples and Dell do it to me before. The difference is they didn't treat me like crap in the process.
  12. #92  
    Quote Originally Posted by packfanlv View Post
    I have ordered plenty of things online where it was a price mistake and my order got canceled. My main complaint in this is the way I was treated in store. I honestly don't expect anything from this, but I am complaining to corporate about the manager who treated me like garbage.

    For those that say false advertising, I believe that the companies are allowed to cancel orders on online price mistakes. I have had Staples and Dell do it to me before. The difference is they didn't treat me like crap in the process.
    Online ordering is a bit different than brick-n-mortar. The in-store pickup is the key here. BB is not only taking your money but they are telling you to come pick it up. They are obligated to honor the price IMO.
    Palm Vx -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Centro -> Pre (Launch Phone 06/06/09) -> AT&T Pre Plus with Sprint EVDO swap -> Samsung Epic 4G w/ Froyo
  13. cashen's Avatar
    Posts
    759 Posts
    Global Posts
    773 Global Posts
    #93  
    Still not fixed... Iguess they really don't care about misleading customers. The logic i'm using now is that the description is correct since THEY STILL HAVEN'T CHANGED IT.. soeveryone at the stores not honoring the price is wrong.
  14. #94  
    Quote Originally Posted by tpmwr View Post
    No, the $50 dock does NOT come with a back, I work at Best Buy, I can assure you it's jsut the dock. The $69.99 dock we sell is dock and back no cables. The $49.99 dock we sell online is dock only no back or cables. Thats what people seem to be missing.
    I understand that is what BestBuy would like to sell at those two prices points, but that is not what they are STILL advertising on their website. For 49.99 you still get the touchstone WITH conductive back and for 69.99 ADD a second touchstone and the int'l cable.

    I think that's the thing that kills me more than anything. Here it's been 24 hours, they are aware of the error and it still has not been fixed.
    "In the field of observation, chance favors only the prepared mind." - Louis Pasteur

    insert crapy old phone here (x3)->Sanyo 4920 -> Sanyo 8200 -> Moto Q -> Palm Pre
  15. #95  
    Here is what my experience was with this... I purchased online and chose in-store pick up. Got to the store and of course they brought up the box with 1 charger and back. Having the print out of the online ad with me I pointed out that this is NOT what i purchased that my order confirmation specifically stated 2 charges, power cord, back etc... I was told it was a misprint on the website as the SKU was for the 1 charger and back.

    To make a long story short.. I expressed i was very unhappy with this and was told I could either keep the purchase or get a refund and / or call Bestbuy.com and express to them my dissatisfaction. Kept the charger, left the store and called BB.com. After several transfers and not accepting that i could just get a refund for an error on their part i was transferred to CUSTOMER RELATIONS at that point they agreed to send me a $50 best buy gift card for the error and apologized for the inconvenience. Didnt get the dual chargers but i did get $50 card to purchase a second touchstone......

    Afterwards I went back to BB store and talked to the "manager" again to express my dissatisfaction with how the whole thing was handled with them and BB.com service call. At that point he price adjusted the online purchase to a flat $35.00.

    Final outcome....received the $69 online purchase for $35.00 and in addition a $50.00 Bestbuy gift card being mailed out to me from the online Customer Relations dept...

    Just wanted to give my experience to this fiasco
    Last edited by richiejacobs; 07/04/2009 at 08:36 AM. Reason: .
  16. cashen's Avatar
    Posts
    759 Posts
    Global Posts
    773 Global Posts
    #96  
    Quote Originally Posted by richiejacobs View Post
    Here is what my experience was with this... I purchased online and chose in-store pick up. Got to the store and of course they brought up the box with 1 charger and back. Having the print out of the online ad with me I pointed out that this is NOT what i purchased that my order confirmation specifically stated 2 charges, power cord, back etc... I was told it was a misprint on the website as the SKU was for the 1 charger and back.

    To make a long story short.. I expressed i was very unhappy with this and was told I could either keep the purchase or get a refund and / or call Bestbuy.com and express to them my dissatisfaction. Kept the charger, left the store and called BB.com. After several transfers and not accepting that i could just get a refund for an error on their part i was transferred to CUSTOMER RELATIONS at that point they agreed to send me a $50 best buy gift card for the error and apologized for the inconvenience. Didnt get the dual chargers but i did get $50 card to purchase a second touchstone......

    Afterwards I went back to BB store and talked to the "manager" again to express my dissatisfaction with how the whole thing was handled with them and BB.com service call. At that point he price adjusted the online purchase to a flat $35.00.

    Final outcome....received the $69 online purchase for $35.00 and in addition a $50.00 Bestbuy gift card being mailed out to me from the online Customer Relations dept...

    Just wanted to give my experience to this fiasco



    I guess i'll take back what i said about Best Buy deserves everything thing they get. Thats just to far.
    Last edited by cashen; 07/04/2009 at 08:37 AM. Reason: added quote
  17. #97  
    Quote Originally Posted by cashen View Post
    I guess i'll take back what i said about Best Buy deserves everything thing they get. Thats just to far.
    True but they are STILL advertising this on their Web site.... i mean come on, how long does it take to remove it?? They are WELL aware of the situation and still refuse to honor it and take it off the site????
  18. #98  
    Quote Originally Posted by richiejacobs View Post
    Here is what my experience was with this... I purchased online and chose in-store pick up. Got to the store and of course they brought up the box with 1 charger and back. Having the print out of the online ad with me I pointed out that this is NOT what i purchased that my order confirmation specifically stated 2 charges, power cord, back etc... I was told it was a misprint on the website as the SKU was for the 1 charger and back.

    To make a long story short.. I expressed i was very unhappy with this and was told I could either keep the purchase or get a refund and / or call Bestbuy.com and express to them my dissatisfaction. Kept the charger, left the store and called BB.com. After several transfers and not accepting that i could just get a refund for an error on their part i was transferred to CUSTOMER RELATIONS at that point they agreed to send me a $50 best buy gift card for the error and apologized for the inconvenience. Didnt get the dual chargers but i did get $50 card to purchase a second touchstone......

    Afterwards I went back to BB store and talked to the "manager" again to express my dissatisfaction with how the whole thing was handled with them and BB.com service call. At that point he price adjusted the online purchase to a flat $35.00.

    Final outcome....received the $69 online purchase for $35.00 and in addition a $50.00 Bestbuy gift card being mailed out to me from the online Customer Relations dept...

    Just wanted to give my experience to this fiasco
    Thats a lot of sht to go through though. Prob not worth it to most people.

    I dont go into BB unless I have to. I find their service & prices totally lacking. Do best to just find a deal online (like the $30 Amazon deal a couple weeks ago).
  19. #99  
    Quote Originally Posted by peestandingup View Post
    Thats a lot of sht to go through though. Prob not worth it to most people.

    I dont go into BB unless I have to. I find their service & prices totally lacking. Do best to just find a deal online (like the $30 Amazon deal a couple weeks ago).
    Agreed.
  20. NeoteriX's Avatar
    Posts
    62 Posts
    Global Posts
    82 Global Posts
    #100  
    Quote Originally Posted by jayhay312 View Post
    I'm not a lawyer so I'll throw this up here and see what you all think. The Massachusetts Attorney General's "Guide to Retail Rights" states the following under the section intitled advertisements:

    ...
    Yeah, I'm actually pretty familiar with Massachusetts 93A (having received my legal education in Mass), it's one of the broadest most powerful consumer protection laws available. If you want to use it as your opening move, then I believe the law requires you to submit written notice alerting them of their violation of 93A and giving them an opportunity to rectify the problem prior to your bringing legal action. (standard disclaimers, I'm not your attorney, this does not constitute my giving you specific legal advice, etc.)

    Quote Originally Posted by ImNoPrince View Post
    Yea I'm not that bad off or mad at all . But it's like the Dell deal $15 monitors that were suppose to be $150 . They had to honor that price for that item described.
    Is this the Taiwanese case that just happened earlier this month? If so, whatever remedy the government imposed would likely not have any precedential effect on any remedy available to us folks in the US. I'm not familiar with any major examples where the retailer was forced to take such a significant hit, but would be interested in hearing if people did know.

    Quote Originally Posted by ImNoPrince View Post
    Be it a mistake or not it's still Bait and Switch and yes I might file with the BBB haven't decided yet.
    The problem is they copied word for word out of the Palms site for what was to be included. This is the Bait you part.
    Then you get there and wow it's not that at all .This is the Switch part.
    It may or may not be. The classic example of B&S is where the retailer advertises a product for below cost (super slick deal) but only has such a low inventory of it (or none at all) such that when a consumer gets there, they are all out of stock, but to avoid disappointment, the retailer offers an alternative product at a more expensive price. I could see this particular set of facts going both ways.

    Quote Originally Posted by packfanlv View Post
    I have ordered plenty of things online where it was a price mistake and my order got canceled. My main complaint in this is the way I was treated in store. I honestly don't expect anything from this, but I am complaining to corporate about the manager who treated me like garbage.

    For those that say false advertising, I believe that the companies are allowed to cancel orders on online price mistakes. I have had Staples and Dell do it to me before. The difference is they didn't treat me like crap in the process.
    This was my impression too.

    Quote Originally Posted by NickDG View Post
    Online ordering is a bit different than brick-n-mortar. The in-store pickup is the key here. BB is not only taking your money but they are telling you to come pick it up. They are obligated to honor the price IMO.
    Just to play the devil's advocate, if this was a flyer in the newspaper or online ad for the brick/mortar store, you would still have to drive down and expend gas right?

    Lastly, I'm wondering where the argument for outrage (and argument against notice) is where the original post already indicated that the guy met resistance with his order. In the Slickdeals world (Slickdeals.net - The best coupons, lowest prices, and hottest deals.), people post these experiences often, along with the qualifier YMMV, or "your mileage may vary." It's a signal to others that this person possibly received unique, individual treatment and doesn't represent a national or broad policy of the retailer that guarantees similar treatment. In other words, you try this deal out "at your own risk" and travel costs, fights with management, disappointment are all risks one takes in order to land such a sweet deal.

    PS -- I'm also really enjoying the conversation, and I'm glad its been civil and no one has taken things personally
Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst 12345678910 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions