1.    #1  
    I have had this idea in my head for a month or so and have been super excited to share it with the Pre community. Well, I think my ducks are in a row and I am ready to share my idea with the world.

We all know the Palm Pre has less than stellar battery life. I have been playing the game of swapping batteries but as we have seen, the reboot time is not too impressive.

My idea is to build a Touchstone like charger into a holster/carrying case. I have set up a website to share the progress I make as I prototype and eventually move to production. We will be blogging our progress from beginning to end. As we learn more about the inductive charging capabilities of the Palm Pre, we will share with all of you. Down to the parts and specifications to build your own Touchstone like charging system!

I have been stalking the gadget sites for over a month to see if anyone else has pubilished the specs necessary for inductive charging the Palm Pre and haven't found any yet. Well, if you have been wondering about this yourself, I will be testing and blogging the results over the next couple of weeks.

I am interested to hear everyone's thoughts. If you are interested in learning more, please visit secondwindcell. I would post the url, but I don't think I have enough posts here to do so. Just add 3ws and a .com at the end of secondwindcell to visit the project site.
    Cool!

So are you building a car holster or a hip holster? Guess I will find out at your blog.
    According to the different gadget tear down places, the touchstone is made from $5 worth of parts, so it would be interesting if one had a parts list/kit for people to make their own charging stands.

Personally, I'd like one integrated into a proclip product or something similar for the car.
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by hrminer92 View Post
    According to the different gadget tear down places, the touchstone is made from $5 worth of parts, so it would be interesting if one had a parts list/kit for people to make their own charging stands.

Personally, I'd like one integrated into a proclip product or something similar for the car.
    I'm hoping to do more than give a parts list. As we reverse engineer the induction frequency, we will post our results on our blog. From there, we will shop parts to meet the specific requirements. Once that is completed, we'll share the DIY build with the community.

Stay tuned. We will updating the site frequently over the next couple of weeks.
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by BMIC50 View Post
    Cool!

So are you building a car holster or a hip holster? Guess I will find out at your blog.
    The idea is to build a hip holster and/or case that stores an additional battery which you can then use to charge the primary battery in your Pre. Basically, you would turn on the charger when your battery is running low.

Essentially, you will have 2 batteries for double the life or better without the hassle of having to remove the case and rebooting the Pre.

Also, you would charge both batteries by plugging the holster/case into a wall or 12v adapter and leaving your Pre inside.

A car holster is definitely something we are looking into as well.
    Global Posts
    277 Global Posts
    What about a solar panel for a car version of your gadget.
    My 2, it's all I can spare
    Treo 270 Treo 600 Treo 700P *** Unmentionable *** Pre {rooted}
    Quote Originally Posted by jodoan1 View Post
    The idea is to build a hip holster and/or case that stores an additional battery which you can then use to charge the primary battery in your Pre. Basically, you would turn on the charger when your battery is running low.

Essentially, you will have 2 batteries for double the life or better without the hassle of having to remove the case and rebooting the Pre.

Also, you would charge both batteries by plugging the holster/case into a wall or 12v adapter and leaving your Pre inside.

A car holster is definitely something we are looking into as well.
    Just my personal opinion: I think a car holster would be much more practical and more likely to be a financial success. I think you have a number of challenges in getting an inductive system and substantial battery in a belt case. Don't you need a ferrous core to "transmit" the magnetic field? Also there will be substantial loss in the process. I believe the Pre charges about 25% slower on the Touchstone compared to just the wall charger alone. And those are only the losses due to induction--there are likely others. So probably in order to get anything like a good battery life help, you'd probably need to have something like a 2000mAh battery. That will make for additional bulk and weight, of course.

None of this is impossible, and I think it's a great idea if you can get it all to work. But if I were you, I'd definitely focus on the car holster first.
    Palm III-->Handspring Visor-->Sony Clie PEG-NR70-->no PDA -->Palm Treo 755p-->Palm Pre-->HP Veer
    I wonder what the effects of a high frequency magnetic field that close to your body would be. The charging efficiency is way less than a direct connection as well.