Results 1 to 14 of 14
  1. sglewis100's Avatar
    Posts
    5 Posts
    Global Posts
    10 Global Posts
       #1  
    GREAT headset, I just started using this. I had a Discovery 925 back when I had my iPhone 3G, and started looking into stereo headsets when they announced they were going to support Bluetooth Stereo. Now I use a Pre instead, but I still have Bluetooth stereo support.

    The 855 sits completely in your ear, and comes with 3 size tips, plus a different form of tip that's a bit softer and compresses to go in your ear, then opens back up. For me, I have no need for the optional ear loop. The headset slides down to extend the mic a bit (optional), and the neat part is sliding out the extension also triggers an answer if the phone is ringing.

    The stereo plug connects easily, although you can leave it off and therefore listen in "mono" which I use sometimes in the car to listen a podcast - this way I still have an ear to the road so to speak. The only potential con is the second ear piece requires use of the earloop, although to be honest, this is the first earloop I've ever had that's small enough to not interfere with glasses.

    Shop around, I got them through Adorama for $29.99 although they now show $50. Buy.com had them listed also through Adorama for $29.99 after Adorama stopped showing them at that price, and a friend of mine got his no problem. I suspect if you search hard enough, you can find them for a great price.

    They are Micro USB so the included AC charger is a nice fit for Pre users since you can charge the Pre. And no, it's not going to fit into the Touchstone, I'm really getting ticked off at that device.

    It has
  2. #2  
    Quote Originally Posted by sglewis100 View Post
    They are Micro USB so the included AC charger is a nice fit for Pre users since you can charge the Pre.
    Can anyone confirm that this is truly micro USB so that I can charge this headset in my car with the same charger I use to charge my Pre? I ask because I've read at least one review which says that while it looks like micro USB the connector on the 855 is actually proprietary.
  3. #3  
    I bought one of these headsets for use with the pre also but am experiencing audio crackle/choppiness when I am using the 855 and the pre is either in my pocket or in my hand. It seems the bluetooth signal is so weak that unless I have the pre very close (a couple of feet away) and not touching it I don't get clear audio.

    Have you experienced this issue? I'm wondering if it's is just my pre that the bluetooth reception is so weak on or if they all are that way.
  4. #4  
    It's defintely micro usb. Used the car charger for my Pre to charge both while driving to Florida from Rhode Island.
  5. #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by smedina20 View Post
    It's defintely micro usb. Used the car charger for my Pre to charge both while driving to Florida from Rhode Island.
    Thanks for this info. Now I just need to decide between this headset and the Jabra BT8040 or BT530, all of which are now confirmed as micro USB and A2DP.
  6. edlex's Avatar
    Posts
    657 Posts
    Global Posts
    660 Global Posts
    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by smartphoney View Post
    Thanks for this info. Now I just need to decide between this headset and the Jabra BT8040 or BT530, all of which are now confirmed as micro USB and A2DP.
    I have both the Plantronics 855 and the Jabra BT8040 and for the money the Jabra wins hands down. The 855 somes with the optional earbud if you want true stereo but for $14.99 on Amazon the BT8040 works flawlessly in mono. It also doesn't go in the ear like the 855 which is a plus if you wear it for a long period of time. In terms of connection they both were solid with no static or drops with phone in holster on my belt.
  7. #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by edlex View Post
    I have both the Plantronics 855 and the Jabra BT8040 and for the money the Jabra wins hands down. The 855 somes with the optional earbud if you want true stereo but for $14.99 on Amazon the BT8040 works flawlessly in mono. It also doesn't go in the ear like the 855 which is a plus if you wear it for a long period of time. In terms of connection they both were solid with no static or drops with phone in holster on my belt.
    Thanks for the info. Based on this info and other research I'm leaning towards the BT8040 but unfortunately the Amazon $15 deal seems to no longer be available.
  8. #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by sglewis100 View Post
    GREAT headset, I just started using this. I had a Discovery 925 back when I had my iPhone 3G, and started looking into stereo headsets when they announced they were going to support Bluetooth Stereo. Now I use a Pre instead, but I still have Bluetooth stereo support.

    The 855 sits completely in your ear, and comes with 3 size tips, plus a different form of tip that's a bit softer and compresses to go in your ear, then opens back up. For me, I have no need for the optional ear loop. The headset slides down to extend the mic a bit (optional), and the neat part is sliding out the extension also triggers an answer if the phone is ringing.

    The stereo plug connects easily, although you can leave it off and therefore listen in "mono" which I use sometimes in the car to listen a podcast - this way I still have an ear to the road so to speak. The only potential con is the second ear piece requires use of the earloop, although to be honest, this is the first earloop I've ever had that's small enough to not interfere with glasses.

    Shop around, I got them through Adorama for $29.99 although they now show $50. Buy.com had them listed also through Adorama for $29.99 after Adorama stopped showing them at that price, and a friend of mine got his no problem. I suspect if you search hard enough, you can find them for a great price.

    They are Micro USB so the included AC charger is a nice fit for Pre users since you can charge the Pre. And no, it's not going to fit into the Touchstone, I'm really getting ticked off at that device.

    It has
    How is the voice quality in the outside environment? especially in the windy conditions. how is the music quality in mono mode? loud and clear?

    Can i connect 855 to two separate phones (pre and sanyo) and also use a2dp profile with pre? thanks.
  9. #9  
    855 is multipoint with one device. hsp/hfp and a2dp. 510 is multipoint with two bluetooth devices.
  10. #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by smedina20 View Post
    It's defintely micro usb. Used the car charger for my Pre to charge both while driving to Florida from Rhode Island.
    I would be VERY careful here.

    The Pre wall charger, and Sprint car charger are both 1 amp. The Plantronics charger for the 855 is .180 amp (180 milliamp).

    Now, you may have a different car charger (some of them go as low as .500 amp) so that's maybe why it worked for you, but when I plugged my 855 into my Pre charger nothing happened, it refused to charge at all (which is problaby a good thing! heh).

    Anyway, be careful swapping chargers, I'd hate for you to melt your headset
  11. Schufly's Avatar
    Posts
    16 Posts
    Global Posts
    247 Global Posts
    #11  
    Good point. I wish the various chargers were labeled.
  12. #12  
    I've had the 855 for a while now and i love it. This is actually my second one (second one went through the wash in my shirt). i don't recommend swimming with them. :-) I'm actually about to buy a new one...my power button stopped clicking, so now it kinda makes calls by itself sometimes. but i use it almost every day, so its well worth it! I love the in ear design, its great for noise canceling!
  13. #13  
    anyone looking for a good deal ..Amazon has the Plantronics 855 for $32 ...seems like a great deal to me

    Amazon.com: Plantronics Voyager 855 Bluetooth Headset (Black): Cell Phones & Service
  14. #14  
    Just moved from the Jabra BT8010 to the Plantronics 855.....love it! I really like having the ability to go from mono to stereo, and the in-the-ear buds took awhile to get used to, but work great! I can mow the lawn while listening to audiobooks, or run on the treadmill with no trouble hearing.
    Everything's Amazing and Nobody's Happy

    Treo600 --> Treo650-->PPC6700-->Treo700P-->Treo755P-->Treo800W --> Touch Pro-->Palm Pre --> EVO 4G

Posting Permissions