Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    24 Global Posts
    Has anyone used this thing? "Palm Pre Retractable Dual Charging Adapter" from ThePocketSolution(.)com

Palm Pre Retractable Dual Charging Adapter : FREE SHIPPING: Google Checkout available.

It's a combination car charger and ac wall charger with 2 usb ports to charge 2 devices at once.

If you have used it, what do you think of it?

It would be nice to know more detail, if available:

• How fast does it charge? i.e. In XX minutes it charged the battery XX%.
    • Does it still charge if you're streaming music from Pandora and using Sprint Nav?

For $20, it looks pretty good on paper.

I discovered it through sjamie's post in the Micro USB cables for low price - Monoprice! thread. sjaime says that he was quoted a power rating of 5V/1A.

I just called the Pocket Solutions again to confirm if the unit produced 5V/1A for each USB port or 500ma for each port for a total of 1A (2 X 500ma). The rep said "I don't know. I just know it is 5V/1A".

Not too comforting but I just ordered one with the retractable micro USB cable package. Will report back...

Palm Pre Retractable Dual Charger & Sync Kit : FREE SHIPPING: Google Checkout available.
    Quote Originally Posted by sjamie View Post
    The rep said "I don't know. I just know it is 5V/1A".
    Reminds me of going to a car dealership. "Hi, I do this for a living but don't know anything about these products." FAIL
    Global Posts
    24 Global Posts
    I just ordered one too.
    Quote Originally Posted by Evan78 View Post
    I just ordered one too.
    Did you get the kit or just the charger?
    Global Posts
    24 Global Posts
    Just the charger. I ordered several cables from Monoprice already and I'll just order more if I don't already have the length I want to use with the charger.
    I got the kit because I am hoping the retractable cable works properly. I have MANY retractable cables and none of them allow me to use the Pre as a USB drive... they only charge it.

The cables I got from Monoprice work perfectly... just not retractable.
    Global Posts
    599 Global Posts
    Does this work? This is the perfect thing for traveling.
    Just ordered it today! We'll see...
    Please DO report back when you get yours...my wife & I frequent Orlando & it would be an awesome consolidation travel device for two Pre's in one vehicle.
    Will definitely do...
    Quote Originally Posted by sjamie View Post
    I got the kit because I am hoping the retractable cable works properly. I have MANY retractable cables and none of them allow me to use the Pre as a USB drive... they only charge it.

The cables I got from Monoprice work perfectly... just not retractable.
    I think the only thing that's retractable on this is the power plugs. Especially since they state that the cable is not included.
    Quote Originally Posted by hrminer92 View Post
    I think the only thing that's retractable on this is the power plugs. Especially since they state that the cable is not included.
    The cable IS included with the KIT.

Palm Pre Retractable Dual Charger & Sync Kit

Hopefully, everything will work properly when I receive it!

I am fed up with trying so many different car chargers and cables only to be disappointed!
    Okay... I have so-so news. The retractable cable works PERFECTLY in every way except it is a little on the large side yet very sturdy.

The car charger.............. did NOT increase the battery charge but allowed it to drain much more slowly. After using Pandora and Sprint NAV for 15 minutes, I only lost 1% of my battery power. Of course, this still would not help too much on a very long road trip. Eventually, you would have to stop using Pandora and/or SprintNav for a while to allow the battery to charge.
    Global Posts
    24 Global Posts
    I received mine today but haven't had a chance to test it out yet.
    Global Posts
    599 Global Posts
    Any update on this?
    Global Posts
    24 Global Posts
    It works fine, but I haven't taken any measurements regarding how fast it charges.
    Quote Originally Posted by Evan78 View Post
    It works fine, but I haven't taken any measurements regarding how fast it charges.
    Have you used it with both Pandora and SprintNav running? If so, did your battery continue to drain or did it charge some?
    Global Posts
    24 Global Posts
    It seemed to just hold the same charge when I had the phone charging with Pandora playing and the SprintNAV running.

It wasn't a perfect test because the nav couldn't pick up a satellite and so I couldn't put in a destination to receive turn by turn direction. I merely had it running with the map displayed.
    Okay, sounds like you're getting the same results I am getting.

Have you also noticed that sometimes it doesn't start charging the Pre at all? Lately, I've had to connect/disconnect it a few times before I get the "charging" notification.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast