View Poll Results: are you happy you have touchstone

Voters
58. You may not vote on this poll
  • happy

57 98.28%
  • not worth it

1 1.72%
  1.    #1  
    i know there are a lot of threads about touchstone and some heat issues, but i am thinking of getting one to keep near bed( wife does not like wires) it looks like they are about $50.

So the question is all in all are those of you with touchstones happy you have one?

thanks
    I like my touchstone a lot. It doesn't make my particular pre overly hot.

Some people complain about the fact that the screen is always on (yet dim) but I find this a nice feature as it allows you to see your notifications at a glance

Also the touchstone back piece is nicer than the orignal.

The kit you need is actually $70.
    Global Posts
    955 Global Posts
    The Touchstone is rad. It's especially useful considering the only other way to charge the phone is to open that flimsy mini-USB enclosure.
    I don't know how many wires the touchstone would eliminate. It still needs to be plugged in. So before the phone would have been plugged in. Now the TS will be plugged in.

OTOH. I love my Touchstone & Pre. My TS is also next to my bed. Tossed the alarm clock. The TS on my Japanese Zen bedroom set actually looks great. It blends into the look of the room making it almost invisible.
    Global Posts
    955 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ronlongo View Post
    I don't know how many wires the touchstone would eliminate. It still needs to be plugged in. So before the phone would have been plugged in. Now the TS will be plugged in.

OTOH. I love my Touchstone & Pre. My TS is also next to my bed. Tossed the alarm clock. The TS on my Japanese Zen bedroom set actually looks great. It blends into the look of the room making it almost invisible.
    I agree with you and all but, man, I just think I know way too much about your bedroom now.
    Global Posts
    147 Global Posts
    To me it's not about eliminating cables but eliminating contact points. Contact points, where you plug cables in, are places where wear and tear can take a toll on your device. Having a TS reduces wear on the cover for the microUSB slot & the slot itself. It also means less chance for random scratches and other things from "near miss" plug in attempts.

And yeah, it's just cool.
    - Fushigi
    Global Posts
    257 Global Posts
    I love the idea of a touchstone but I can't get over the price! $70 for something that costs $5 to make?! I can see $40 for a charger but not $70... I took my $70 (Sprint referral for 3 lines ) and bought a nice bluetooth headset instead
    --WhoAmI--
    Sprint Palm Treo 700p with MR --> Palm Pre

T-Money is now available for the webOS! Financial planning has never been easier.
    Global Posts
    355 Global Posts
    I absolutely LERVE the Touchstone.

When I come home (after my 12+ hour days), I am always happy to hear the confirmation tone of my phone as I put it onto the Touchstone. Then, within 2 hours or so, it's fully charged and ready to go again. It doesn't get abnormally hot, and it's completely usable while on the Touchstone (as I have done many times, using it as a speaker phone or as a Rolodex to pull up numbers when using my ancient land-line).

It's definitely not a gimmick; it's most definitely the way I want to charge all my small electronic devices in the future. I fully expect Apple to have something like this in a year; it's too big of a deal to not steal and copy.
    Global Posts
    565 Global Posts
    Definitely am happy with it, though don't know if I'd say it was "worth it" for the price I paid. Ultimately if I want to sync my Pre I still have to hook it up to the computer, so I end up having two cables going all over instead of one.

That said I've resolved to just leave my touch stone at work and use the charging cable when I'm at home. Its wonderful at work where I can place it on, have it charging all day, while listening to music or getting texts and email as they arrive. Being able to just grab and go without worrying about pulling it out of the cradle wrong or unhooking a cable is also very nice.

If it was about $30 instead of $50 for the touchstone I'd probably say I'd be happy AND feel it was worth the cash.
    Can you use other touchstone type products to charge your pre. There are mats and other things ive seen that work similar to a touchstone with a magnet and all?

Anyone ever tried it
    Didn't read all the posts, but I'm sure someone mentioned that Amazon had TS's for $30. Still high, but much more palatable. Charging cable can be found online for $20. I've ordered two more TS's and one more charger/cable. Then I'll have one for home, one for office and one for car.

It's so worth it to me, but mileage may vary. Great at the office because I would otherwise neglect to charge the Pre until it was low on battery and that is a MISTAKE with this phone. At home, it's probably not worth it, but a nice convenience.