Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Global Posts
    12 Global Posts
    So I decided to push the limits on my pre the other day, Went for a drive, decided to try out the turn by turn nav, didn't need it, was a 200 mile trip up the same road, but anyway..

Had sprint nav running, pandora playing through the radio, and the occasional email and sms at the same time.

Al the while, I had the pre plugged into the Palm branded car charger. Yes, it was indicating a charge the whole time.

I started my trip with a full 'green' battery indicator.
    I finished my trip, two hours later, with an angry looking red glowing CHARGE ME icon as soon as I unplugged it from the car, didn't even think to check along the way to see that it was actually using more power than it was able to charge.

I've read that the car chargers are just a trickle charge, but seriously?!?!?!? It can't even keep up with the power usage of the phone???

Anyone else have similar trouble?

Dont get me wrong, I love the phone, I'll just have to hardwire an inverter into my car and run the A/C charger in my car... That should keep up.. I hope.. But still, Should it have to come to this really??

Global Posts
    12 Global Posts
    And yea, I realize this is my first post... I've been lurking for a little while now though.....

Greetings....
    Global Posts
    315 Global Posts
    I did the same thing last weekend but only for an hour and it was perfect. I started with +/- 30% when I plugged it in. When I got out an hour later it was up to 70% so it clearly wasn't discharging as yours did. I had had nav/Pandora/and my wife reading emails all at the same time.

Oh...and welcome.

bj
    Global Posts
    12 Global Posts
    Thanks,

Were you using the Palm branded charger or the sprint branded car charger?
    I have the Sprint charger. With Sprint Nav and Pandora on, I gained about 6% in 10-15 mins. Will try to do a little more controlled test and report again.
    I have the sprint charger, it's charged no matter what I've been doing; Pandora, Sprint Nav, Web, phone, doesn't matter. Not as quickly as the touchstone or direct AC, but it always charged. I think there might be something wrong with your charger if it still drained that much even while plugged in.
    Global Posts
    315 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by floyd770 View Post
    Thanks,

Were you using the Palm branded charger or the sprint branded car charger?
    The bigass yellow one with the obnoxious light on it.

bj
    Global Posts
    12 Global Posts
    The bigass yellow one i'm guessing is the sprint one..

The palm one is tiny actually, and is just a small plug that goes into DC adapter, with a USB port on it. You just plug into that and the micro usb to the phone.. Same with the sprint one??

Maybe I'll try to return it today to Best Buy and swap it out for a new one if they let me, I never had any trouble with the charger for my treo's before...

Thanks for the replies, Looks like I might have a bad charger or DC adapter maybe? I know the phone charges, its full in almost no time at all when plugged into the A/C charger at phone...
    I believe there is either a software bug that mis-indicates charge status or a hardware malfunction where the handset will indicate it's charging but it actually isn't.

It happens to me regularly where I'll plug the phone in and it indicates that it's now charging. I'll check the phone a half hour later and the charge is actually lower. Unplugging it and replugging it in always does the trick and it goes to charge fully like normal.

One thing of note, however, I don't believe this has happened using the supplied charging adapter; it's only happened when charging with a generic USB cable and a third-party charger.
    I have a plain-vanilla USB 12v charger I bought for my Ipod Toouch. It's been hit-or-miss with it recognizing at first plug-in. When it does work, usually SptinNAV doesn't keep up. Otherwise if I turn off WiFi and only run BT and listen to MP3's, it does a decent charge from 80% to 100% in about 30 minutes (i think).

BTW, Anyone know what mA rating adapter the Pre can use?
    Global Posts
    660 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by floyd770 View Post
    The bigass yellow one i'm guessing is the sprint one..

The palm one is tiny actually, and is just a small plug that goes into DC adapter, with a USB port on it. You just plug into that and the micro usb to the phone.. Same with the sprint one??

Maybe I'll try to return it today to Best Buy and swap it out for a new one if they let me, I never had any trouble with the charger for my treo's before...

Thanks for the replies, Looks like I might have a bad charger or DC adapter maybe? I know the phone charges, its full in almost no time at all when plugged into the A/C charger at phone...
    I use the OEM Palm charger with the touchstone in my car and it charges great. Keeps it at 100% with nav, pandora, animated weather map and occasional phone call. I do remember reading about another forum member having an issue with using the palm charger straight without the TS and having similar problems as you are. Have you tried it with the TS?
    Global Posts
    89 Global Posts
    From everything I've heard (been researching this for a little while), the Palm car charger is much less powerful and will not keep up with heavy usage (navigation, pandora, etc). The Sprint charger (yellow-ring) will keep up and then some, actually charging the phone with heavy usage. Because of this I got the Sprint charger and it does an excellent job. It charges my Pre no matter what I'm doing on it while it is plugged in. I have not actually tired Palm's charger though.
    This happened to me repeatedly, using a usb car charger plug that I have charged BB's and gps pucks successfully with for a year and a half. Always when running Telenav.

I now use a Xantrex plug in inverter that works just fine. It's a few years old, has a fan built inside it, and does the trick. I plug the Palm AC plut into it. I had a very large hardwired Xantrex inverter when I was an OTR trucker and would recommend the brand.

There are other small portable AC inverters out there now, some which accept a usb connection. Duracell is selling very small ones that on Amazon reviewer said are made by Xantrex.

Amazon.com: Duracell DC to AC Pocket Power Source Inverter 175 Watt #813-0291-07: Home Improvement

One reviewer for a smaller wattage Duracell than shown above said usb didn't charge his iPhone. He still had to use the AC plug.

Hopefully a car suitable Touchstone is introduced soon. I'm thinking of one that holds the entire phone (think Pre Jello mold), reducing the chance of it falling off or flying around in an accident.
    Global Posts
    192 Global Posts
    I have the same issues, well sort of, mine seems to be intermittent. It ALWAYS shows charging (i.e. recognized the power connection), but sometimes it charges and sometimes it does not (so my battery discharges with time). Unplugging and Plugging it back in SOMETIMES gets it charging again (but it always INDICATES the lightning bolt).

I am going to get the Sprint one today and see if it does any better.
    Global Posts
    76 Global Posts
    The official Palm car charger was not fully certified for the Pre(despite what BB will say) and it ment to be a universal palm charger. It can not supply enough power to charge the Pre while heavier programs(aka nav or pandora) are running. Get the official Sprint one that was modified to work specifically with the Pre. It works great and charges the phone pretty quickly even when heave programs are running
    Global Posts
    12 Global Posts
    Thats a lot of great input, thanks!

It wouldn't completely surprise me that the Palm car charger doesn't provide enough juice to keep it charging while in use at the same time. Though that is terribly disappointing. Palm, you really let me down on this one.

I haven't bought a TS yet, and don't really plan on it, not for a while at least.

I'll try the plug/unplug trick a few times and see if I have any luck.. Maybe they'll fix that one of these days, who knows...

Oh well, thanks for all the input!
    Global Posts
    12 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by galavanter View Post
    Hopefully a car suitable Touchstone is introduced soon. I'm thinking of one that holds the entire phone (think Pre Jello mold), reducing the chance of it falling off or flying around in an accident.
    Now that, I would buy. As long as it leaves room for headphone jack and allows for sliding open then keypad while 'docked'

That would be sweet..
    I have a pretty sweet inverter that only does USB. I haven't tried it with the Pre, but it works awesome with my HTC.

I got it for like 20 bucks at Costco, btw.
    Global Posts
    242 Global Posts
    I'm having the same problems with a USB charger that I had got for my iPhone. It doesn't keep up with my Pre's energy needs, even if only using the phone. The Sprint charger may have higher output, but I don't like the short coiled cable that it has (or the high price). USB specs for voltage should all be the same (I think it's 5 volts) but I guess the amperage can vary. I too, would like to know what the Pre's amperage needs are.
    I just got a belkin ipod car charger with 2usb slots one is for quick charge. Haven't tested it out yet but its 1a continuous and 1.5a peak; so, hopefully it works
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast