Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Global Posts
    12 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by oddlou View Post
    I have a pretty sweet inverter that only does USB. I haven't tried it with the Pre, but it works awesome with my HTC.

I got it for like 20 bucks at Costco, btw.
    -ONLY- USB? That seems like a perfect solution for the Pre, but what else could you use it for? charging phones/headsets? Maybe this?

**Ugh, it won't let me post a link yet.. YouTube > "USB Pole Dancer" **

Heheheheh... I'll have to go check Costco.. thanks...
    Quote Originally Posted by floyd770 View Post
    -ONLY- USB? That seems like a perfect solution for the Pre, but what else could you use it for? charging phones/headsets? Maybe this?

**Ugh, it won't let me post a link yet.. YouTube > "USB Pole Dancer" **

Heheheheh... I'll have to go check Costco.. thanks...
    Mostly small electronics. Phones, mp3 players, some cameras, etc. I also had a bigger inverter from Costcto that had a regular plug for my computer, but that thing got bloody hot . . . and I accidentally broke it by slamming the door on the adapter.
    I have the Sprint-branded charger (yellow glowing ring) and use it w/ the Touchstone. For the most part, it works fine. Sometimes (when the TS and the charger) have been in the sun a long time and are very hot, it will do that charging/not charging/charging/not charging thing. This morning it did that and I unplugged it, gave it a rest for 1 min, and plugged it back it and then the Pre charged just fine on my TS for the next 30min while I was driving.

Why can't *some* manufacturer make a heavy duty usb car charger that actually puts out 1amp? Shouldn't take much more work than changing some resistor values...

I just bought this:
    DealExtreme: $4.81 Dual USB Power Ports Car Cigarette Power Adapter (1000mA)

We'll see if it has enough juice to charge the Pre through the Touchstone...
    sprint charger works for me.
    Sprint charger works great. Just came back from 11 min trip with Pandora and Sprint Nav on and battery life went up 5%.
    Global Posts
    315 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rmackay View Post
    I have the same issues, well sort of, mine seems to be intermittent. It ALWAYS shows charging (i.e. recognized the power connection), but sometimes it charges and sometimes it does not (so my battery discharges with time). Unplugging and Plugging it back in SOMETIMES gets it charging again (but it always INDICATES the lightning bolt).

I am going to get the Sprint one today and see if it does any better.
    This is EXACTLY how my charger works. I thought maybe something was wrong with it. Its the Palm charger purchaswed via Amazon. Which one is the Sprint charger? is it made for the Pre or a generic?
    I bought my Sprint charger at Sprint. I asked them for one for the Pre, but I believe it is generic.
    Global Posts
    946 Global Posts
    Is it a flaw in the Sprint Charger because I'm having connection problems AND battery drain?

Generic Car Adapter:
    Connects Perfect + Battery Drain
    Returned in favor of OEM

Monoprice USB adapter + Orig Cable:
    Connects Perfect + Charge Perfect
    Seemed too cheap. USB adapter already fell apart.

Sprint OEM Car Adapter:
    Connects 25% of the time + Battery Drain sometimes
    Bought 2 but this is by far the worst because the connection isn't always solid.
    Global Posts
    43 Global Posts
    It wouldn't completely surprise me that the Palm car charger doesn't provide enough juice to keep it charging while in use at the same time. Though that is terribly disappointing. Palm, you really let me down on this one.
    I know there are two different palm vahicle car chargers that you can buy. You have to make sure you have the 1a version. The 3437WW is the lower power, and the 3453WW is the 1a (same charger as the wall charger that came with the phone).

I own the 3453WW charger and it works wonderfully for me. I get the same charge as I do from the wall, and pushes positive charge under max load. Here are my results WITH using the TS.
    Global Posts
    12 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bkemp88 View Post
    I know there are two different palm vahicle car chargers that you can buy. You have to make sure you have the 1a version. The 3437WW is the lower power, and the 3453WW is the 1a (same charger as the wall charger that came with the phone).
    Interesting... I just did a quick search on the googles for those two product numbers, and found what appears to be the same device, both marked as a charger for the Palm Treo Pro, which I'm guessing has the same Micro USB charging port?

The Charger I have, Looks exactly like those.. Wonder if its just borked.. Looking at the back with a microscope, I can see this:

P/N:157-10122-00 Made In China
    Input: 10-26vDC Output 5.0vDC 1.0A

Should work just fine then, must be borked, and I of course don't have the Best Buy receipt any longer...

Another thing that strikes me about it, typically, a DC adapter has a replaceable fuse correct? This charger doesn't seem to have a way to replace a fuse.. The little white light glows, indicating its not popped however..

Anyone know if Best buy will do an exchange without packaging or receipt?
    I have the Sprint charger. I *REALLY* wanted the Palm charger, because than I would always have a sync cable with me for work, and could just toss an extra cylinder wall plug in the glove box, in case I needed the wall charger somewhere. After reading all the non-sense about it so far, I have just kept using my Treo Pro sprint car charger.

I have noticed the same thing as others here though. My Pre always charges when it says it is, and always charges immediately (100% of the time) when plugged in to the wall, but the Sprint charger is hit or miss. Most the time it takes me 6-8 plug in/out sessions to get the darn thing to connect, but once it does, it charges FAST, even when doing stuff with the phone. I even had sprint take a look at it, and they swapped it out for free, but the new one does the same thing
    Global Posts
    181 Global Posts
    Here's the problem... Everyone's making judgements based on just their one car and their one charger. I checked mine in 2 cars and tried it with/without the Touchstone. I got VERY DIFFERENT results based on the car it was in and whether or not I was using a Touchstone.

I know folks don't want to hear it, but before you start thinking your charger's defective, try your setup in a different car. And if you have access to a Touchstone, try that too.

The details of my experiment are in this post:
    http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...ervations.html

Hope my testing helps somebody.
    Quote Originally Posted by larnapp View Post
    Here's the problem... Everyone's making judgements based on just their one car and their one charger. I checked mine in 2 cars and tried it with/without the Touchstone. I got VERY DIFFERENT results based on the car it was in and whether or not I was using a Touchstone.

I know folks don't want to hear it, but before you start thinking your charger's defective, try your setup in a different car. And if you have access to a Touchstone, try that too.

The details of my experiment are in this post:
    http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...ervations.html

Hope my testing helps somebody.
    Fair enough, let me clarify my post above you:
    1990 F150 with upgraded battery/alternator: Connected fine first try (only did it once), charged phone from 40% to 96% in less than 40 mins.

1998 Buick Park Ave: 3 tries to connect, charged fast once connected

2005 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon: Personal vehicle, charges fast once it connects, but it usually takes a few tries to connect. No other electronic (sat radio, inverters etc.) have a problem in the same plug

Ford E350 15 pass: Same as above

I also do repo/lease return appraisals. I have the same experience all day long in many different cars.

Treo Pro works fine.
    Global Posts
    181 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Centro85 View Post
    Fair enough, let me clarify my post above you:
    1990 F150 with upgraded battery/alternator: Connected fine first try (only did it once), charged phone from 40% to 96% in less than 40 mins.

1998 Buick Park Ave: 3 tries to connect, charged fast once connected

2005 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon: Personal vehicle, charges fast once it connects, but it usually takes a few tries to connect. No other electronic (sat radio, inverters etc.) have a problem in the same plug

Ford E350 15 pass: Same as above

I also do repo/lease return appraisals. I have the same experience all day long in many different cars.

Treo Pro works fine.
    Great info! Looks like the picture is getting clearer and maybe we have enough info to hazard a few guesses. Based on this info, my own (limited) research, and the fact that most chargers (home and car) have 2 modes (one fast high-power mode for charging a low battery, and a trickle charge mode for topping off a battery), maybe we can start guessing.
    • Maybe Palm's chargers or the Pre's battery management software is not properly interpreting when the battery is low or in a rapid discharge, so the charger doesn't kick into high voltage charge mode
    • Maybe Palm designed a charger that goes into high voltage/fast-charge mode only when the lighter socket offers relatively high power (by the way, this has nothing to do with the newness of your car's battery, rather, it's a function of what your car's fuse panel or computer controller routes to plug outlets)
    • Maybe the Touchstone only works by drawing higher power so that's why it charged my phone when the exact same car/socket just trickle charged my phone when plugged into the Pre power port
    • Maybe a firmware update to the Pre will send more accurate information to the charger components and it could be fixed in a future update
    • Or maybe I'm just guessing to sound like I know what I'm talking about but I actually have no freakin' clue (that never happens in forums, does it?)

Let's just hope that Palm engineers are a bit more meticulous in their trouble-shooting and lab testing and that they can resolve/fix whatever the real issue is... and there is an issue.
    Global Posts
    12 Global Posts
    Ahhha!!

The Perfect Solution!! Get a different car!!! BWahahahaha!!

Ok, That was just a joke... I'll try it in a different vehicle and see.. Thats a good point..

Though, in all seriousness, the wife's centro, my old treo, and anything else I use that DC adapter for work just fine.. Even the USB Pole Dancer...
    Thanks
    Global Posts
    660 Global Posts
    Ahhha!!

The Perfect Solution!! Get a different car!!! BWahahahaha!!

Ok, That was just a joke... I'll try it in a different vehicle and see.. Thats a good point..

Though, in all seriousness, the wife's centro, my old treo, and anything else I use that DC adapter for work just fine.. Even the USB Pole Dancer...
    Thanks
    I would probably also try it in a different dc socket in the car if you have more than one just in case the one you are using is defective. Like I said in a previous post, I use the OEM Palm charger 3453WW bought directly from Palm.com and have used it exclusively with the TS with perfect results. I have never plugged it in direct so I can't speak for that.
    Global Posts
    2,486 Global Posts
    I'll just throw something out there with no basis for folks to consider and further investigate.

On the Touch Pro, the battery charging system pays attention to the temperature of the phone. If it reaches a certain point, I think 48 C, it will stop charging as a safety precaution. The first time I noticed this happening I thought my charger or phone was broken. It turns out the phone was getting quite warm because I was running standalone GPS app, Google Maps, and Sling simultaneously and this (in addition to the charging itself) pushed the phone over the limit.

Is there anyway to verify whether there is something similar going on with the Pre? Is there a temperature indication folks could check when they find the unit isn't charging (or isn't charging fast enough)?
    I have the car charger bought directly from Palm. Running the latest OS 1.0.4 and drive a 2004 Subaru Forester. Drove 220 miles each way this weekend (440 total) and at the start of each leg of the trip my Pre was around 50% battery capacity. Using the Sprint Navigation the whole time the charge % kept going up and would reach 100% charge level before the leg would end. The fit is kind of tight in the cig lighter but takes just a few twists to remove. I am happy with the results (pretty much the same with my last cell phone).
    Global Posts
    227 Global Posts
    I’d like to add my observation. After owning two Sprint Pre Chargers (see this post as to why I returned them : http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...ml#post1728068) , I picked up the Palm Pre Charger Model #: 3453WW at BB and here’s what I’ve found (in a`07 VW Jetta):

Under a heavy load, Pandora, Sprint NAV and some calls all while in EVDO coverage; the phone charged, not seemingly as fast as with the Sprint Charger, but it charged.

Under the same heavy load as above, but in 1x coverage…it lost charge. Could it be that streaming Pandora and Sprint NAV in a non EVDO coverage area would have a higher power needs, thus leading to a loss of charge?
    Palm IIIx, Palm Vx, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Centro, Pre
    Global Posts
    104 Global Posts
    I have noticed this too.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast