Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Screen Protectors

My preference:
    This is all based of the Skins I have received. I believe that they are all somewhat made of the same material, but of different quality, making others thicker, thinner, smoother, and rougher than others, so it seems that material can vary and change throughout time. My review is purely based of my preference and should be used to help make your purchase easier. I wish I have seen a guide like this, would have made my purchase a lot easier.

The only other skins that I would have loved to try out would have been Bodyguards, Ghost Armor, and Amzer (Though it looks like Amzer doesn’t provide the best corner coverage from what I’ve seen). I believe that these also have a smoother than others, orange peel type deal. But hopefully, I have helped make decision buying a little easier.

Map:

5 Best (Easiest of Installation, Best of Quality, Response, Fitment, and Close to None or No Orange Peel)
    4 Above Average
    3 Average
    2 Below Average
    1 Failing (Worst of Installation, Worst of Quality, Response, Fitment, and Large Amounts of Orange Peel)

1st Phantom Skins (Pics Shown after 24 Hours):
    - The orange peeling is not as noticeable as the others, but has this somewhat odd lines that runs across the screen (can be seen in the photos). The feel out of all four is absolute best which makes it the top pick; the smoothest feel and the lines are really not too bad. I’ve installed countless screen protectors and I can see where people have problems with fitment, which makes this skin somewhat the hardest to install. Tip for all installations: When installing and PROPERLY ALIGNED, install with the middle first, work your way out to the edges, IMPORTANT-When you get to the outer edges, INSTALL the edges FIRST, ALIGN the edges PERFECTLY (the breaks on the corner of the Skin) “then SOMEWHAT work to the center side of the phone.” Meaning, you can start a quarter of the way from the top and bottom and then go to the center – as long as you get the curved edges first.
    a. Installation . . . 3
    b. Quality . . . . . . 5
    c. Feel . . . . . . . . 5
    d. Fitment . . . . . . 5
    e. Orange Peel . . . 4

2nd Best Skins Ever (Pics Shown after 24 Hours):
    - This has Thee best fitment of the bunch, covering to the very edge. If you are looking for absolute coverage, then look no further. This has to be PROPERLY aligned, if not, you will get excess film on the side of your phone. The orange peel is very noticeable, but the feel is definitely smoother than the Zagg Invisible Shield. Due to its design, this is one the easiest of the bunch to install.
    a. Installation . . . 5
    b. Quality . . . . . . 5
    c. Feel . . . . . . . . 4
    d. Fitment . . . . . . 5
    e. Orange Peel . . . 2

3rd Clear Coat (Pics Shown after 48 Hours):
    - The feel on this skin is fairly nice, slightly better than Best Skins Ever. The quality on this skin, like the others is superb. The only problem with this skin is the lack of coverage on its edges. Because of its design and lack of edge coverage, this skin is the easiest to install.
    a. Installation . . . 5
    b. Quality . . . . . . 5
    c. Feel . . . . . . . . 4
    d. Fitment . . . . . . 5
    e. Orange Peel . . . 3

4th Zagg Invisible Shield (Pics Shown after 48 Hours):
    - The reason this is last on my list is because the material “feels” to be the thickest of the bunch. I liked its uber tacky GEL-rubberish feel, but the response was definitely goofy. This skin for some odd reason would at many times not be as responsive as the other skins. I would consistently miss hitting apps, icons, keys, etc. Compared to the top 2 on the list, this edge coverage is mediocre, but still provides edge coverage. Another downer is that, on mine was, if this skin is centered there was extra material on one side, if you correct for the side edges, the ear hole, center gesture button and speaker hole were off aligned. Tip: For those that have this same problem, I have thrown a couple coats of Maguire’s Car Wax on the skin – very SMALL applications. This also helps smooth out its Tacky Feel as well as all the finger prints that imbeds on the skin. Response also increases with this method.
    a. Installation . . . 4
    b. Quality . . . . . . 5
    c. Feel . . . . . . . . 3
    d. Fitment . . . . . . 3
    e. Orange Peel . . . 3

Pics:

Left- Clear Coat
    Right- Zagg

Clear Coat

Zagg

Left- Clear Coat
    Right- Zagg

Left- Clear Coat
    Right- Zagg

Left- Clear Coat
    Right- Zagg

Left- Clear Coat
    Right- Zagg

Left- Clear Coat
    Right- Zagg

Left- Phantom Skinz
    Right- Best Skins Ever

Left- Phantom Skinz
    Right- Best Skins Ever

Left- Phantom Skinz
    Right- Best Skins Ever

Phantom Skinz

Best Skins Ever

Left- Phantom Skinz
    Right- Best Skins Ever

Left- Phantom Skinz
    Right- Best Skins Ever

Left- Phantom Skinz
    Right- Best Skins Ever

Left- Phantom Skinz
    Right- Best Skins Ever

After 2 & 1/2 Weeks

Left- Best Skins Ever
    Right- Phantom Skinz

Left- Best Skins Ever
    Right- Phantom Skinz

Left- Best Skins Ever
    Right- Phantom Skinz

Left- Best Skins Ever
    Right- Phantom Skinz
    Last edited by PaSt; 07/15/2009 at 09:09 PM.
  2.    #2  
    Wife’s Fortte Case

Well it’s only been a couple minutes but so far this case has quality build all over. The only thing I can say is “how long can this case last?” only time can tell.

Packaging . . . 5
    Build . . . . . . . 5

Fitment
    Day 1 . . . . 5
    6 Months . . ?
    1 Year . . . . ?
    Color (Dye)
    Day 1 . . . . 5
    6 Months . . ?
    1 Year . . . . ?
    Quality
    Day 1 . . . . 5
    6 Months . . ?
    1 Year . . . . ?
    Durability
    Day 1 . . . . 5
    6 Months . . ?
    1 Year . . . . ?

Pics

My Vaja Case

Packaging looked nice until I saw that the case was not wrapped (The case is going to get bashed anyways-so what the hell) =D
    Case is uber nice, like really really nice, feel and everything is top notch. Same would go for this case “how long can this case last?” But so far, my first impression is that since I have a skin on, it makes it quite difficult to remove when shoved in its little home. When I tried the wife’s Phantom Skin, it was noticeably easier to remove and install.

One thing to definitely note is that the case is so new and tight that the edges of my Best Skins Ever Protector is grabbing on the Micro Fleece type interior of the Vaja Case which may soon allow the skin to start coming off. But if you got a naked Pre, so far, it would definitely be “quite the investment.”

So far, I am very happy with it.

Packaging . . . 4
    Build . . . . . . . 5

Fitment
    Day 1 . . . . 5
    6 Months . . ?
    1 Year . . . . ?
    Color (Dye)
    Day 1 . . . . 5
    6 Months . . ?
    1 Year . . . . ?
    Quality
    Day 1 . . . . 5
    6 Months . . ?
    1 Year . . . . ?
    Durability
    Day 1 . . . . 5
    6 Months . . ?
    1 Year . . . . ?

Pics

Last edited by PaSt; 07/15/2009 at 09:12 PM.
    That is an awesome guide, I bought some phantoms a few days ago, thanks again, exactly what I was looking for.
    I purchased the Zagg and applied them to the front of my phone. They dried fine and looked good for about 3 days, then developed some clusters of shimmery digital artifacts. The digital artifacts I'm talking about can best be seen against a white background. I then placed bodyguardz on the face and again installation went smoothly, but when all was dry, the shimmery digital artifacts could be seen immediately. They were less intrusive than the Zagg however, as the artifacts were limited to tiny little single and double clusters. Still, I figured since I had a phantomskinz lying around as well as another bodyguardz front, I said what the hell and ripped bodyguardz off hoping for better. To be continued with Phantomskinz.
    Last edited by deadpanwalking; 06/29/2009 at 05:16 AM.
    Here's my vaja experience:

I purchased the standard leather case (2 toned actually) without the face cover on my Palm 700p. Case was red and black, and it looked amazing the first day I got it. My friend ordered yellow and black, and that was amazing too! Fast forward to 6 months later:

The yellow on my friend's Vaja case is seriously wearing out. Any type of cleaning will leave the cloth yellow. The dye used on these cases is seriously fading on the yellow case. Also, dirt is easily visible on yellow. My Red case, however, dirt doesn't seem to gather very well, and the case still looks "nice". Fast forward 3 months later:

The leather on both the yellow and the red Vaja case is ripping, color is... well pretty bad at this point. So I decided to call Vaja and let them know about how their cases are fading in color. They sent us a new case each (Or at least I thought it was new) and they gave us "black" this time, because black wont fade as easily.

Another 4-5 months later, the leather started fading again, the black isn't as black as before, the leather starts ripping again. At this point, I've had it with Vaja. They do make nice looking cases, but it wont last for a while. But then again, i'm a heavy phone user as well. I can't help but feel that vaja isn't what I once believed they were meant to be: The end all, be all of all cases! However, that's naive of me to think the coloring wouldn't fade without proper leather maintenance, in which neither my friend and I did.

Well take my experience as you would, it may help your decision about vaja cases.
    Global Posts
    789 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by maduhbee View Post
    Here's my vaja experience:

I purchased the standard leather case (2 toned actually) without the face cover on my Palm 700p. Case was red and black, and it looked amazing the first day I got it. My friend ordered yellow and black, and that was amazing too! Fast forward to 6 months later:

The yellow on my friend's Vaja case is seriously wearing out. Any type of cleaning will leave the cloth yellow. The dye used on these cases is seriously fading on the yellow case. Also, dirt is easily visible on yellow. My Red case, however, dirt doesn't seem to gather very well, and the case still looks "nice". Fast forward 3 months later:

The leather on both the yellow and the red Vaja case is ripping, color is... well pretty bad at this point. So I decided to call Vaja and let them know about how their cases are fading in color. They sent us a new case each (Or at least I thought it was new) and they gave us "black" this time, because black wont fade as easily.

Another 4-5 months later, the leather started fading again, the black isn't as black as before, the leather starts ripping again. At this point, I've had it with Vaja. They do make nice looking cases, but it wont last for a while. But then again, i'm a heavy phone user as well. I can't help but feel that vaja isn't what I once believed they were meant to be: The end all, be all of all cases! However, that's naive of me to think the coloring wouldn't fade without proper leather maintenance, in which neither my friend and I did.

Well take my experience as you would, it may help your decision about vaja cases.
    Similar experience to you, except the coloring rubbed off on the edges, look good for 6 months or so, but after that???? Way over priced for that type of thing to happen.
    Holy Crap, fantastic guide!!!!
    awesome pics.. i've had my phantom skinz for a week.. still awesome.. 2 weeks for my wife's pre, no corner peelups at all. i only installed on the front with great corner coverage as i like the touchstone back and figured if that gets dinged, it's only $20 to replace.
    That was amazing, thank you so much. glad i got phantom. !!
    Global Posts
    10 Global Posts
    Another vote for phantom.

Actually I had bestskinsever, and while they are good, the orange peel effect gets real annoying real fast, to the point where I actually took it off after using my wife's pre which had no cover and just felt so much better.

Got the phantom skin on fathersday deal, just the front cover- the pics above don't lie, its a world of differnce in clarity and smoothness, it still has more friction than glass when rubbing your finger but overall good. Someone said wax and buffing it would help your finger glide better. Phantom skinz also seem to attract less oil when it touches skin.

My best tips for installation-

DO's-
    mix a plate of thin layer water with 4 drops of liquid hand soap, but don't make any bubbles.
    actually drip drops of water on to the surface of the pre until it is basically a very thin layer of liquid.

rub the phantom skin with liquid than place lightly on the pre- start from the middle outward slowly so any small bubbles push to the edges as you lay it down,

make sure it can slide around a bit.

Place liquid on top of the skin as well, makes it much easier to manipulate

Don'ts-
    Dont mess with edges at first. Forget them until the middle is set (usually half hour to one hour)- tap these down in place at that time (don't stretch just smooth out)- again water on your fingers helps

Do not stretch the skin in place, just tap it down at the edges!- this will reduce line effect along phantom skins.

p
    Global Posts
    184 Global Posts
    I keep trying to tell everyone Phantom Skinz is the best.... And cheap too!
    Global Posts
    351 Global Posts
    I don't have those horizontal lines on my phantom. Ask for a replacement.
    Global Posts
    21 Global Posts
    After seeing this, and since my Pre's original screen finally junke dout, I ordered the phantom skinz screen protector. Since it comes with two, at least I'll get two chances. Until then, I'll just keep on using the factory puch and babying it. And, if I cant get it on right, I'll get an IS installed at the mall...
  14.    #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by deadpanwalking View Post
    I purchased the Zagg and applied them to the front of my phone. They dried fine and looked good for about 3 days, then developed some clusters of shimmery digital artifacts. The digital artifacts I'm talking about can best be seen against a white background. I then placed bodyguardz on the face and again installation went smoothly, but when all was dry, the shimmery digital artifacts could be seen immediately. They were less intrusive than the Zagg however, as the artifacts were limited to tiny little single and double clusters. Still, I figured since I had a phantomskinz lying around as well as another bodyguardz front, I said what the hell and ripped bodyguardz off hoping for better. To be continued with Phantomskinz.
    From experience, I ran into the same thing, usually caused by either one of two things.

1. Left over liquid from installation that sometimes takes literally days or sometimes weeks to remove. I find that heat can help resolve this. I accidentally left my phone one day in my car arm rest on a good warm day. Temps seemed to be at the 140's in that box that day and when I got the phone I noticed the liquid seemed to be less.

2. Oil from fingers trapped between the skin and the object. I also noticed that windex or similar type products would do this. I just now use strict eye glass cleaner or something similar that can be found at like lens crafters or what ever is provided by skin company if available.
    Global Posts
    40 Global Posts
    nice review! i have been using BSE and IS for a few years now on other devices and have pretty much gotten used to the orange peeliness of those screens, which makes my experience with phantom skinz pretty amazing. i convinced myself the orange peel was a trade off to the protection the BSE and IS provided. however, now that i've had the phantom skinz on for about a week now, i don't know that i will ever go back.

before i found out about the phantoms, i had already placed an order for a full body BSE. so, i decided to use the BSE on the back cover (which i don't use anymore due to the awesomeness of the matte TS back cover) and put the phantom on the front. which worked out well because, due to the orange peel of the BSE i'm assuming, it was a tad bit grippier so i felt safer about the phone not sliding across a table and plummeting to its death.
  16.    #16  
    Post Updated and Finished (for now)

Enjoy

When applying Phantom Skinz, do you really have to leave the Pre alone for 24 hours to allow the skin to set, as the instructional video says?
    the vaja case looked real good.... thanks for these!
    Quote Originally Posted by semprini View Post
    When applying Phantom Skinz, do you really have to leave the Pre alone for 24 hours to allow the skin to set, as the instructional video says?
    semprini,

The instructions do say 24 hours, but in reality, a couple of hours are enough. We state longer to be on the safe side if someone really gets aggressive with the application solution. Our retail kiosks turn the phone on almost immediately. Waiting longer is better and helps the adhesive set in which will help prevent peeling.

Guru
    Great post and pictures. Thanks!
    Neil
    Handspring Visor Deluxe > Treo 600 > Palm Pre > iPhone 4s & Touchpad 32gb
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast