1.    #1  
    I went to check something on my Pre and noticed that the screen wasn't on, which is odd as it was on the touchstone. I turned it on and saw the battery was at 97%, so it was charging and stopped (I put it on at ~73% life).

No matter what I do or try I can't get it to work again. Plugging into the microUSB does charge, however, so I don't think it's the Pre itself or the cable.

Any suggestions for troubleshooting?
    Global Posts
    52 Global Posts
    Try taking it off the charger and letting it cool down.
    Let me know if it helps.
  3.    #3  
    It wasn't hot at all, but I did just that. We'll see.
  4.    #4  
    ...And now it's magically working again.

Maybe it's user error, heh.
    Global Posts
    25 Global Posts
    Note that the Pre doesn't get noticably hot when charging off of a computer/laptop (also charges slower, and it gets pretty warm while on a dedicated wall charger

don't be surprised if we see heat related concerns later on this year.

and when i'm not in a rush and i have to charge the phone fully, i put it face down on a soft cloth, with the cover off, heat rises, but i only do this when the phone slike completely dead

...but for small charges or when i'm on the go i use the touchstone, simply because its not 70 bucks worth of equipment its pretty cheap in design, (price is mostly due to copyrights and patents i bet)
    Last edited by McCarthy; 06/29/2009 at 03:53 PM. Reason: COmpletely forgot to finish typing my reply :P
    Global Posts
    11 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by hypocaffeinemia View Post
    ...And now it's magically working again.

Maybe it's user error, heh.
    Hopefully its that and not really broken
    How bout taking off the back of the pre, and checking the contacts - then reattaching and trying to charge again. When I first put my cover on, the contacts must have been a little smushed down and not connecting solid to the back - which in turn meant that I wouldn't get the charging message nor would the battery charge.

Took it off and gently pulled up the contacts just a tiny bit - put it back on and works like a charm.
    John Y - Aka Levelbest

Check out JOHNfm streaming on your Pre @ http://johnfm.com/pre
    Levelbest's Pre Wallpapers
  8.    #8  
    This evening it's dead again-- I haven't touched the touchstone it worked fine on this morning. I'll try to redo the back again with the contacts. Let's hope this works.
  9.    #9  
    So for the last two days, it's worked only sporadically.

I dunno if the problem is the back cover or the touchstone itself.

The back cover-- it makes a lovely crinkling/crunchy sound when I type on the keyboard. I can only assume it's the contacts scratching the plating on the back as I squeeze it. No such sounds are produced with the normal cover.

The touchstone-- it's heating up even when nothing is on it. I dunno what the internal temp is, but considering the outside is getting decently warm it probably isn't good.

I called Palm support this morning and I'm supposed to be contacted by a higher up rep some time today. We'll see.

The Sprint store I bought it from is directly across the street from my hospital so I may just try to exchange or return it after work tomorrow.

Question though-- is the sound I hear while typing normal to other touchstone users? And if not, how high are your contacts sticking up on the inside of the phone for comparison?
    I just got my touchstone today and, while playing around with it, I noticed that it would not work through the surge protector on my desk.
    I had to plug it directly in to the outlet in order to get it to start charging.

Don't know if that's your issue, but may be something to check out.
    Went from iPhone to Pre and love it!
    Quote Originally Posted by showson1 View Post
    I just got my touchstone today and, while playing around with it, I noticed that it would not work through the surge protector on my desk.
    I had to plug it directly in to the outlet in order to get it to start charging.

Don't know if that's your issue, but may be something to check out.
    I have mine plugged into a surge protector and no problems. I had it since June 6.
    My touchstone died as well and it doesn't work regardless of changing cable or outlet or letting it cool down. I brought it back to Best Buy and got a new one...works great now. Didn't really know what happened as I have been using the Palm charger since day one.
    Kyocera 6035 -> Kyocera 7135 -> Palm Treo 600 -> Palm Treo 650 -> Palm Treo 700p -> Palm Treo 755p -> Palm Treo 800w -> Palm Centro ->Palm Pre!
    Global Posts
    720 Global Posts
    My touchstone at home, which I have connected with the stock Palm Pre USB cord and AC plug, has gotten weaker. The magnetism is not as strong and the Pre can drift off alignment.

On the other hand, my touchstone at my girlfriend's house, which I have connected with my Treo 800w AC-to-MicroUSB cable, works great. The touchstone grabs the Pre and aligns it perfectly every time.