Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    The Airave Tips now include this and much more.

Caution
    The Airave does not work with other carrier's phone and in fact is so powerful that it has been known to jam other cell carriers within it's 40 foot radius. So unless you work alone, this is not something for most offices.

In my office, instantly other cell phones stopped working when the Airave went on. So I keep the one at home and returned the one for work.

- Craig
    Last edited by Milominderbinder; 09/21/2009 at 04:21 PM.
    Global Posts
    560 Global Posts
    Hey Craig,

Might want to update/correct (not sure which, really) those tips. You can use data while connected to the Airave. If you literally have no EVDO service (and no WiFi), it will provide 1X data.

Reference (also confirmed on my own): http://www.nextel.com/assets/pdfs/en...irave_faqs.pdf

"What happens if Sprint Mobile Broadband (EVDO) is not available via the Nationwide Sprint Network?

Your mobile device will use the AIRAVE for data services with a maximum data throughput of 153.8 Kbps."

Edit:
    Additionally, in both my home and office the Airave does not disrupt the service of other networks at all... I guess that's a YMMV type thing, I dunno.
    Quote Originally Posted by DrSuSE View Post
    Hey Craig,

Might want to update/correct (not sure which, really) those tips. You can use data while connected to the Airave. If you literally have no EVDO service (and no WiFi), it will provide 1X data.

Reference (also confirmed on my own): http://www.nextel.com/assets/pdfs/en...irave_faqs.pdf

"What happens if Sprint Mobile Broadband (EVDO) is not available via the Nationwide Sprint Network?

Your mobile device will use the AIRAVE for data services with a maximum data throughput of 153.8 Kbps."

Edit:
    Additionally, in both my home and office the Airave does not disrupt the service of other networks at all... I guess that's a YMMV type thing, I dunno.
    I will update the thread...

Thanks, Craig
    Jamming my wife's work cell phone could certainly be an advantage for me.
    Global Posts
    560 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DrHeathenScum View Post
    Jamming my wife's work cell phone could certainly be an advantage for me.
    LOL.

Also, thanks Craig.
    Most likely, it interferes with MNVO phones, like the OP's wife's Virgin Mobile, which just resells Sprint's wireless network. As the Airave info states, it doesnt work for pre-pay phones. Most MVNO phones are prepay phones, and as they operate on sprint's network, if they try to connect through the Airave, it's going to see that it's not a sprint phone, but on the sprint network, and reject it.

There are alternative to sprint's Airave, though they are more expensive (nearly 300), such as the CDMA unit from Wi-Ex, or the All band unit from Wi-Ex (works with all CDMA and GSM frequencies, so basically all providers except iden based (Nextel or Boost))
    Global Posts
    358 Global Posts
    So is there a fix for this virgin mobile issue? I live in a town house and my next door neighbor has VIRGIN MOBILE and he tells me he gets the "in range of sprint private network" a lot of times .... I know its the airave because I turn it off and his phone works.. If I restrict the airave by typing in phone numbers that are allowed, will this solve his issue? I really dont want to do that because I have friends come over who have SPRINT and they use the airave to get good signal to make a call..

Thanks...
    I have been told the same thing by Sprint tech support since I got my Airave. Ironically even though Sprint owns Virgin and its on the same network, the Airave makes a Virgin phone unusable. Rather amusing if it wasnt so stupid. My girlfriends Virgin phone is useless when the Airave is turned on...
    Global Posts
    358 Global Posts
    SO is there NO fix? I used the online chat tonight and all sprint said was to call tech support who can figure out the signal strength. That wont work. They need to do something with the fact that when a VM phone is in rage of the airave the unit will do something to let the VM call go through .. I would like it to NOT go through on my airave because I dont know how many people in my comples use VM and since the airave can only handle 3 calls at once I might be screwed
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12