Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 41 to 60 of 67
  1. #41  
    I'm actually wondering if the fact that the Pre uses a capacitive screen makes a difference... Maybe the fact that you don't have to press down so hard to get the touch to "register" makes a big difference? I remember on my Instinct it was a pain to have to press down the side of the screen and scroll down the contacts list with the IS installed.... hmm....
  2. sheltem's Avatar
    Posts
    82 Posts
    Global Posts
    84 Global Posts
    #42  
    I agree with the OP. I tried using the BSE skin for the Touch Diamond and it was awful.

    I recommend using the cheapo screen protectors offered by a variety of ebay. They are thinner and use a static cling to stick to the screen. As a result it is much easier to install. Also I haven't noticed a difference in touch screen performance. Plus I only paid $4 for 3 screen protectors.

    Cons: It won't self heal like the IS, but you DO have three of them! And because of how it works, there is no battery cover protector. However if you get the matte touchstone cover, then the full skin protection isn't as necessary.
    R.I.P. Windows Mobile (2002 - 2009)

    HP Jornada 568 -> HP Ipaq 2215 -> Audiovox SMT5600 -> Tmobile SDA -> Qtek 8500 (HTC STRTrk) -> Motorola Q -> Sprint Mogul -> Sprint Touch -> Sprint Touch Diamond -> Sprint Touch Pro
  3. #43  
    Quote Originally Posted by cannibal869 View Post
    I'm actually wondering if the fact that the Pre uses a capacitive screen makes a difference... Maybe the fact that you don't have to press down so hard to get the touch to "register" makes a big difference? I remember on my Instinct it was a pain to have to press down the side of the screen and scroll down the contacts list with the IS installed.... hmm....
    I posted this earlier. Resistive and capacitive touchscreens are different, and the Pre's capacitive screen suffers more from the 'buffer' more than a resistive screen would...

    Touchscreen - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

    Anyways, yes. I do not like screen protectors and how they feel. being a capacitive touch screen, the technology relies on the tiny amount of electricity generated naturally by your body/fingers. This is why a stylus will not work with capacitive screens.

    When you put a buffer between the screen and input device (e.g. your finger), its makes it that much more difficult to render an accurate input signal to the screen and computer that reads the taps, swipes, holds, etc.

    Just take care of your Pre and you will be fine.
  4. #44  
    Quote Originally Posted by majikTib View Post
    I installed my InvisibleShield myself, and it looked great. I loved it and it protected it perfectly.

    I exchanged my Pre b/c of the Battery issues, and took the Invisible Shield off. I kept it in case I wanted to TRY to reinstall it, but I haven't put it on in over a week. It just looks so sexy without the IS.
    You can't re-install a used shield. You can ask for a replacement, though.

    For those who complain about difficulty swiping: The biggest factor affecting the ease of swipes is the cleanliness of your fingers, shield or no shield. Here's a tip: lightly wipe your nose, cheeks, or forehead with your swiping finger(s). You'll get just the right amount of oil on them to glide on your screen, and your device won't look much worse in terms of smudges than if you hadn't done this.

    As for the preference for the orange peel texture, I figure I had three choices. One, leave the Pre unprotected; in which case it's only a matter of time before you get a scratch, but it looks sexy. Two, protect it with one of these shields; not very good impact protection, but you won't get any scratches, and you REALLY have to look to tell that they're on. Or three, put the Pre into some kind of case; excellent impact protection, though scratches may still be an issue if dirt gets between them and your device, and they definitely take away from the sexiness of the device (looks bulky, and some cases are just plain ugly).

    Me, I'm not too keen about the texture of a shield, but I SURE don't want the added bulk/look of a case!
  5. sam1am's Avatar
    Posts
    172 Posts
    Global Posts
    176 Global Posts
    #45  
    I got an IS installed and pretty much hate it. I knew I would hate it before I installed it because I had one on my previous phone. But I had small scratches showing up and I figured I better put something on while I look for something better. $20 installed.

    I dislike the texture, swiping is a pain, and the responsiveness of the screen is lacking. I have to do gestures sometimes several times before they work.

    I'm looking at the phantom skinz now as an alternative, but I pretty much don't trust anyone with under 50 posts and some reputation. Could be phantom skin agents all over the place!
  6. viperx100's Avatar
    Posts
    76 Posts
    Global Posts
    78 Global Posts
    #46  
    Quote Originally Posted by sam1am View Post
    I got an IS installed and pretty much hate it. I knew I would hate it before I installed it because I had one on my previous phone. But I had small scratches showing up and I figured I better put something on while I look for something better. $20 installed.

    I dislike the texture, swiping is a pain, and the responsiveness of the screen is lacking. I have to do gestures sometimes several times before they work.

    I'm looking at the phantom skinz now as an alternative, but I pretty much don't trust anyone with under 50 posts and some reputation. Could be phantom skin agents all over the place!
    Well, suffer with your IS, then. lol. The majority of us on this forum that have installed both the IS and the PS on our Pres will tell you that the PS is far superior in terms of feel, responsiveness, swiping and looks. But we have them on our phones while you are the one that's complaining. So we don't really care whether you get it or not. All we can do is offer advice based on our findings and it is up to you whether to believe it.
  7. cooknn's Avatar
    Posts
    388 Posts
    Global Posts
    447 Global Posts
    #47  
    Quote Originally Posted by Treolo View Post
    Anything that makes the finger swipes harder destroys the Pre experience IMO...
    I'm in the same camp Treolo. Bought the IS and installed it myself. I felt like I lost that lovin' feeling Took it off and back to Best Buy. I do have two other items on order, though. A custom black w/ orange Vaja iVolution Deco case, and a bottle of Displex LCD Scratch Remover
  8. #48  
    I got the IS installed at a mall kiosk about a week ago. Looks wise, it makes my Pre less shiny than naked, but not nearly as dull as the touchstone back. It still shows smudges and prints, though I think it is actually harder to wipe them off than the naked face. I haven't noticed any realy problems with taps on the screen not responding. However, it is a bit tacky and I miss that silky glide across the screen of the naked pre. I have noticed also that my Pre does not slip in or out of the Palm leather case nearly as easily as it did naked. On the other hand, I like that bit of tackiness on the sides, it makes me feel like I have a more secure hold on the phone. I am considering peeling it off and replacing it with the Phantom, but not entirely certain about that yet. In general I like the IS, but I don't love it and am considering trying to find out if there is a protector I love.
    Dedicated Palm User
    Palm Pre
    Palm Treo 700P - retired
    Palm Treo 600 - retired
    Palm M515 - retired
    Palm V - retired
    Palm Pilot Professional - retired
  9. #49  
    Mine made my pre work great still and didnt have to worry about what touched the screen, however it wasnt on perfectly so it did attract alot of dust and made the phone look dirty. I took it off after a few weeks and decided that I only plan on keeping this phone a year until they release a beter pre.
  10. #50  
    Quote Originally Posted by PookiePrancer View Post
    As for the preference for the orange peel texture, I figure I had three choices. One, leave the Pre unprotected; in which case it's only a matter of time before you get a scratch, but it looks sexy. Two, protect it with one of these shields; not very good impact protection, but you won't get any scratches, and you REALLY have to look to tell that they're on. Or three, put the Pre into some kind of case; excellent impact protection, though scratches may still be an issue if dirt gets between them and your device, and they definitely take away from the sexiness of the device (looks bulky, and some cases are just plain ugly).

    Me, I'm not too keen about the texture of a shield, but I SURE don't want the added bulk/look of a case!
    Why not do Two and Three. I have IS body cover on my Pre as well as a hard rubberized case off fommy.com. It looks and works great. On top of that I bought a $10 leather holster case from walmart and it was big enough to fit the phone in.
  11. viperx100's Avatar
    Posts
    76 Posts
    Global Posts
    78 Global Posts
    #51  
    Quote Originally Posted by imthatguy704 View Post
    Why not do Two and Three. I have IS body cover on my Pre as well as a hard rubberized case off fommy.com. It looks and works great. On top of that I bought a $10 leather holster case from walmart and it was big enough to fit the phone in.
    Damn, now your slick stylish Palm Pre might as well be a brick with those 3 coats on it. Congrats.
  12. #52  
    Quote Originally Posted by viperx100 View Post
    Damn, now your slick stylish Palm Pre might as well be a brick with those 3 coats on it. Congrats.
    Not really. More like two coats. IS body cover and a rubberized case. And, when I decide to go mobile then I will put it in the leather holster on my belt for added pretection. It's my stylish Palm Pre with a bullet proof vest on. Thanks
  13. Pupator's Avatar
    Posts
    82 Posts
    Global Posts
    85 Global Posts
    #53  
    IS works fine for me. Doesn't interfere with anything and doesn't reduce screen quality. I think the texture is a matter of personal preference. Some will like it (me) and some will not.
  14. eddard1's Avatar
    Posts
    44 Posts
    Global Posts
    45 Global Posts
    #54  
    I used clear protector. I have not tried IS or BS. I echo some other comments here giving this the thumbs up:

    1) I can't tell difference on effectiveness of capacitive screen w/ and w/o protector. Works exactly the same as far as I can tell.

    2) I can tell the difference between naked smoothness and protector. HOWEVER, the grippy resistance dramatically smooths out after a few days and the difference becomes much less noticeable.

    3) Clear Protector does show a few scratches after about a month of sticking in pockets. Of course, I wouldn't be sticking in my pocket w/o the protector.

    Definitely worth it for me.
  15. #55  
    I installed Invisishield myself and while it does make you press a little harder at times, it works fine and the grippier Pre is actually a plus in my book having had the slick little sucker shoot out of my hands like a bar of soap a few times. So if you've got a club hand like me or find the Pre a little slick, you might actually like the product. It does make it impossible to put back into the Pre sleeping bag and I tried it out with the Palm holster case and pulling it out within 4 rings to answer the phone ain't gonna happen. It lightens up the ear grease on the phone too. Its completely lost on my why they made the Pre so slick - I blame it on the crew from Apple.
    Many Shuvs and Zuuls knew what it was to be roasted in the depths of the Slor that day, I can tell you!
  16. cooknn's Avatar
    Posts
    388 Posts
    Global Posts
    447 Global Posts
    #56  
    Quote Originally Posted by The Pope View Post
    Its completely lost on my why they made the Pre so slick - I blame it on the crew from Apple.
    It's not so slick with the Touchstone back. And it's so easy to charge We are very fortunate to have Apple engineers working on our phone. It's so liberating to get the quality I expect from somebody else other than Apple
  17. sam1am's Avatar
    Posts
    172 Posts
    Global Posts
    176 Global Posts
    #57  
    Quote Originally Posted by viperx100 View Post
    Well, suffer with your IS, then. lol. The majority of us on this forum that have installed both the IS and the PS on our Pres will tell you that the PS is far superior in terms of feel, responsiveness, swiping and looks. But we have them on our phones while you are the one that's complaining. So we don't really care whether you get it or not. All we can do is offer advice based on our findings and it is up to you whether to believe it.
    Calm down - what are you president of phantom skinz? Being careful about whose opinions you trust is not the same as denying them altogether. I've already ordered some new screen protectors to try out. Sheesh.
  18. ooneyus's Avatar
    Posts
    32 Posts
    Global Posts
    34 Global Posts
    #58  
    I use BSE and it is great! All bubbles eventually go away. Swiping is ok no lag! Great product paid $6-$8 bucks includung shipping and handling.
  19. #59  
    Anyone try Clear-coat?
  20. sjjones's Avatar
    Posts
    757 Posts
    Global Posts
    789 Global Posts
    #60  
    Quote Originally Posted by fareal View Post
    I first installed a BSE on my Pre. I then read that the Phantom Skinz were not as grippy, so I ordered a set (comes with 2) I now have the Phantom Skinz installed and I'm much happier. The gestures are smoother and the view is clearer. Big difference in my opinion.
    I was a big fan boy of BSE , installed phantoms today? so much better then BSE, can you say smooth?
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Posting Permissions