Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    From a protection standpoint, the majority of skins are all the same. IS has a lifetime guarantee, which draws in a lot of customers, despite their high(er) price.

From a usability standpoint, however, I completely agree with Treolo.
    The IS *is* stickier. Not a bad thing in and of itself, but on touchscreen phones like the Instinct and Pre, this does in fact take away from the overall user experience. Flicking or sliding is just plain harder with the Invisible Shield. I've had both, so I'm not talking out of my @$$ here.

The Phantom Skinz is much smoother to the touch and for this particular application I think is an overall better product. It will probably protect just as well as the IS does, and you get 2 skins for the price of one. And it's a whole lot cheaper (esp with the 50% off coupon code going on right now).

Application is the same for both phones either way. Spray bottle works quite well IMHO.

The IS is ideal for the back of the phone, since it's grippy nature will help prevent you from dropping the phone.
    Global Posts
    181 Global Posts
    I don't want to join an argument. I understand that some folks prefer or dislike the film for various reasons. As I've mentioned, I like the film for reasons I have spoken about previously.

But if overall you like the InvisibleShield but just wish it was slick, I have the solution!

InvisibleShield is a film made by 3M corporation and other thicknesses of this exact film are used to protect car paint (the "clear bra"). I have this on my car and I know from experience that you can use liquid car wax (as long as you avoid carnauba waxes which can yellow the finish). I just applied a light coat of Black Magic Wet Shine Liquid Wax to my InvisibleShield equipped Pre and it's very slick.

Hope that helps someone.
    Global Posts
    787 Global Posts
    I'm on my third IS - first two had bad horizontal lines seen on white backgrounds, the third one has 3-4 small ones. Luckily they've been replacing them for free at the place I had them installed, so hopefully eventually I'll get to one that doesn't have any problems
    Global Posts
    351 Global Posts
    My BSE had vertical lines visible on white backgrounds. BSE replaced it as well.
    some of the rubbery feel of IS goes away over time
    I have Phantom Skins on my Pre and you can NOT EVEN TELL IT'S ON!!! In fact I think it makes my Pre look shinier and cleaner. I installed myself by using warm water to soak the skin in first for one minute (and a few drops of dish soap in the warm water). Took two hours to install but WELL WORTH IT! No bubbles, no orange peel effect... PERFECT!
    I have the IS on my phone and in all reality, I love what it did for it. Yes, it has somewhat of an orange peel effect to it and yes, it seems like it might be lagging just barely (though I didn't even notice it till I read this thread) but as I see it, it's kinda like wearing a condom. Everyone would rather go about it naked but there is sure as hell something to be said about protection. The IS gives it protection that I don't think that the others can compare to and the grippy feel is something that I can't even believe that people complain about. I know, without a doubt, that this $550 piece of equipment isn't going to slip out my hands like a bar of soap.
    I installed Phantomskinz last night and my phone is still responsive and feels great.
    Quote Originally Posted by erasef301 View Post
    I have Phantom Skins on my Pre and you can NOT EVEN TELL IT'S ON!!! In fact I think it makes my Pre look shinier and cleaner. I installed myself by using warm water to soak the skin in first for one minute (and a few drops of dish soap in the warm water). Took two hours to install but WELL WORTH IT! No bubbles, no orange peel effect... PERFECT!
    ^^^this
    Quote Originally Posted by larnapp View Post
    I don't want to join an argument. I understand that some folks prefer or dislike the film for various reasons. As I've mentioned, I like the film for reasons I have spoken about previously.

But if overall you like the InvisibleShield but just wish it was slick, I have the solution!

InvisibleShield is a film made by 3M corporation and other thicknesses of this exact film are used to protect car paint (the "clear bra"). I have this on my car and I know from experience that you can use liquid car wax (as long as you avoid carnauba waxes which can yellow the finish). I just applied a light coat of Black Magic Wet Shine Liquid Wax to my InvisibleShield equipped Pre and it's very slick.

Hope that helps someone.
    really?
    Quote Originally Posted by Evil ways View Post
    really?
    Uh, yes, that's actually true. I did this to the IS on my instinct and it did help quite a lot, but to be honest, this wears off after a while and I don't really feel like I should have to wax my IS just to get it to be the way I want it to feel. Wait a week and see how it compares to freshly waxed...

In either case, I still stand by my statement that the Phantom Skinz is much smoother *au natural* than the IS with a coating of car wax LOL...
    Quote Originally Posted by trim81 View Post
    thanks for this post
    Sorry, off-topic: I want that AVATAR. USC Trojans ftw!

Anyways, yes. I do not like screen protectors and how they feel. being a capacitive touch screen, the technology relies on the tiny amount of electricity generated naturally by your body/fingers. This is why a stylus will not work with capacitive screens.

When you put a buffer between the screen and input device (e.g. your finger), its makes it that much more difficult to render an accurate input signal to the screen and computer that reads the taps, swipes, holds, etc.

Just take care of your Pre and you will be fine.
    Global Posts
    73 Global Posts
    I installed my InvisibleShield myself, and it looked great. I loved it and it protected it perfectly.

I exchanged my Pre b/c of the Battery issues, and took the Invisible Shield off. I kept it in case I wanted to TRY to reinstall it, but I haven't put it on in over a week. It just looks so sexy without the IS.
    Global Posts
    631 Global Posts
    I'm using a BSE on the back of my Pre and on the front I have an Ultraclear screen protector from my favorite company Brando. It covers the whole front face but not the sides. I was able to apply and re-apply a dozen times until I got it right without any dust trapped under it. It was only 8 bux too. By far the best I have used and no I don't own stock in the company, their just that damn good.
    Global Posts
    666 Global Posts
    I took my screen protector off. It's not an IS and it looks good but you can't beat the looks of a naked Pre.
    The IS definitely gives a "gripier" feel to the phone. I can see how some might not care for it, but on mine I don't mind it. Doesn't seem to really affect my gestures and I like the added protection against scratches.
    Global Posts
    73 Global Posts
    I had to press harder for the gestures, it wasn't as easy as the simple flick as I glossed over it.

I miss the protection, a lot, but it just looks so much better without it. I only had one minor dimple in my IS, and I liked it while it was on, but I'm looking for a better case to avoid reapplying an IS.
    I got IS installed and It looks just as good as without. I dont understand how much harder it is for some people to do the gestures or swipes. I mean are you honestly having such a hard time now that its gonna tear the skin or what? I mean yea its not as smooth as the plastic alone, but its not hard at all to do swipes or gestures
    I installed the IS on my Pre weeks ago. It is somewhat hard to line up, but i did an ok job. While it was a bit sticky feeling it protects well.

I tried to put on a razorfish case (gun metal color) that i had on it before my IS arrived and the IS it too thick for the case to go over. I really like the look of the phone with the razorfish case on it so i uninstalled the IS. I attempted to trim it first, but that stuff is tuff. I guess I will try another screen protector, i will just trim it first
    Global Posts
    770 Global Posts
    I installed the bodyguard. (I have it on all my gadgets..) - it takes away slightly from the swipping experience, but not that bad.. I definately recommend this -

BodyGuardz - Scratch-Proof Transparent Protective Skins for Mobile Devices | Skins, Covers, Screen Protectors, Cases, Shields

-mark
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast