Global Posts
    27 Global Posts
    At this stage of the game... given the bluetooth profiles that the pre can currently support... what is the point of pairing my phone with my laptop? We can't tether or exchange any other kind of data, right?
    It will find your computer, but it will not connect. No BT data exchange at this time. A big bummer as it would be nice to set it on the TS and then sync via BT when needed (humm, my Touch Pro can do this - well, it can't sit on the TS!).
    It's not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent, but the one most responsive to change” - Darwin
    Global Posts
    277 Global Posts
    That's a bummer. Might be able to do other stuff with the Pre while it's syncing via bluetooth.
    My 2¢, it's all I can spare
    Treo 270 » Treo 600 » Treo 700P » *** Unmentionable *** » Pre {rooted}
    Global Posts
    20 Global Posts
    Does that new tether app make this possible?
    i too was a little disappointed, as even mu dinky old Rumor1 was able to do BT data transfer with my laptops BT. hopefully something that will be addressed soon.
    I agree. File transfers would be nice.
    Global Posts
    660 Global Posts
    I have a feeling this will be enabled soon. No real reason why not. Has nothing to do with tethering which is what sprint doesn't want. Only makes sense since they have the charging without cables we should be able to do everything without cables. Seems like a simple app at that.
    It is possible to install an SFTP server on your pre following the instructions on the predev wiki. After that, when you connect your computer to your Pre with a BT Personal Area Network, you can log into it with an SFTP client on your computer and transfer files. I have done this on my Pre, and it's pretty cool. Obviously, it's nowhere near as fast as USB, and it would be a million times easier for Palm to just provide the OBEX protocol, but at least it's possible.
    Palm III-->Handspring Visor-->Sony Clie PEG-NR70-->no PDA -->Palm Treo 755p-->Palm Pre-->HP Veer
    Quote Originally Posted by justinholtweb View Post
    i too was a little disappointed, as even mu dinky old Rumor1 was able to do BT data transfer with my laptops BT. hopefully something that will be addressed soon.
    just use the wifi app at the pre app store sync ur old palm data with the pre that way and the pre has its own back up software and it will only take so long before someone does the bluetooth stuff with your computer so just be patient and it will come lol
    So can you pair the Pre with another bluetooth compatiable phone to transfer data or is this what you guys are talking about file transfers. How could the Centro do this but the Pre can not that is stupid. Also Shadavis08 how do you use the wifi app to sync old palm data. I'm trying to transfer contacts from my Centro to my Pre.
    sounds cool