Global Posts
    85 Global Posts
    Ok, I know it's not an application, but I wasn't seeing hardware reviews, and this just needs to be reviewed.

The Touchstone charger is one of the best things to happen to mobile phone charging ever. It is a little on the pricey side compared to most chargers you've owned, but it is so worth it.

I own two myself. One sits on my headboard of my bed for nighttime charging, and another sits on my desk next to my laptop at work. This combination allows me to keep my battery fully charged through the day regardless of use.

There are a few places where the touchstone is handy. First, at work, or anywhere that you spend a large amount of time sitting. Many people take their phones out of their pockets and set them on their desks anyways, and placing it on the Touchstone isn't any harder than setting it on the desk. You can use all your applications while it's charging, or talk or listen to music and feel confident that you won't be discharging your battery. Even under heavy use, the touchstone charges faster than you can use the battery.

Another place is near your bed. Te angle of the Touchstone charger is great and it holds the Pre at a good angle to view the screen or even use it. The magnets are strong enough to hold it to the Pre even when sliding the cover open to get to the keyboard, and it stays solidly mounted while using the phone. With Pandora to listen to music, you can be charging your phone while listening to your favorite music going to sleep, and you don't have to worry about the cords jerking around. The sticky pad on the Touchstone keeps it stuck wherever you put it

The sticky disk on the bottom is unbelievable. Rather than go the easy route and make the Touchstone heavy and put a standard sticky pad on the bottom, they chose to go with a unique sticky pad with micro tubes that stick in the same way that a gecko's feet do. It gives it a very solid feel sticking to your desk or whatever surface you put it on, but it is easily removable, sticks to most anything, but is very easy to clean. My Touchstone stopped sticking after a few days because my desk was so dusty, so I unplugged it, took it in the bathroom, got my fingers wet, and ran them across the sticky surface and it cleaned it great. I dabbed it dry on a paper towel, and it was as good as new again.

The one thing to be aware of however is that the touchstone must be plugged into the wall. You can't plug it into the computer using the USB port, because the USB port apparently can't provide the needed power.

Some people report success with car chargers plugged into it, but most don't.

Keeping these limitations in mind, I still agree that the Touchstone is a must-have accessory for the Pre. Moving the plastic cover to allow the pre to be plugged in is a pain, and I love just dropping my phone on the charger and letting it charge wirelessly.
    Global Posts
    400 Global Posts
    going to get one
    Global Posts
    176 Global Posts
    Thanks for the review - nice to know the sticky pad is cleanable and reusable. I left the plastic on mine because I didn't want to commit to sticking it somewhere.

On a side note, Sprint offers 20% off when you buy two accessories. I went to Best Buy and told them (they do price matching) and the guy took 20% off my touchstone - no second accessory required. It ended up being ~$56 for the touchstone/new back. Still pretty damn expensive, but it is really nice to have it. I want one in my car and at work, but I might have to wait until they come down to a reasonable price.

Induction tech. is not new, nor is it expensive to manufacture. I'd be very surprised if the touchstone/battery cover cost Palm over $10 to make.
    Additionally, I hear that the touchstone will force the screen to be on. This can be a VERY ANNOYING feature. Anyone figure out how to turn the screen off while it's charging on the touchstone?
    Global Posts
    355 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by maduhbee View Post
    Additionally, I hear that the touchstone will force the screen to be on. This can be a VERY ANNOYING feature. Anyone figure out how to turn the screen off while it's charging on the touchstone?
    Yes it's on, but at a very reduced brightness level. I find it no brighter than a standard clock-radio in the bedroom. It doesn't bother me, and I'm sometimes bothered by light in my room when I sleep.
    Quote Originally Posted by Edge767 View Post
    Yes it's on, but at a very reduced brightness level. I find it no brighter than a standard clock-radio in the bedroom. It doesn't bother me, and I'm sometimes bothered by light in my room when I sleep.
    Nice to know. This was one of my concerns with purchasing the touchstone.
    Global Posts
    51 Global Posts
    I am so glad I bought the touchstone, especially considering the fact that the usb cover is so janky. Once I replaced the back cover with the touchstone cover, my Sprint charger seemed to stop working (I have it at work), when it worked before. I haven't played around with it, so maybe it was just a one time thing...
    Global Posts
    49 Global Posts
    The touchstone is amazing. One of the best ideas to come to ANY MOBILE PRODUCT. Seriously. Who like having to fumble around with cords? Come on now, we've hit the wireless revolution, havent we??

I will say though, as amazing of a product as it is, I have had constant charging issues as well. It seems to me that as the phone is in use on the charger it heats up. When the heat gets a bit to high the magnets seems to lose a bit of the strength releasing it from the charger. this can be very annoying and cause a 'bouncing' charging effect.

Has any one else run into this issue? (and no, the touchstone is not installed in my car. The phone would hardly stay put to charge when I tried that.)
    I have a touchstone kit video review up. I show what the underside looks like, what all comes in the box, etc. I used to look everywhere for a good, decent review that showed the product but could never find one. I ended up just getting one. So I did a review of my own...

enjoy and spread the word if you see anyone else asking about the touchstone...

I have a couple other reviews up also. A screen protector, a hip holster alternative for 19 bucks and the rocketfish gunmetal case.

enjoy!
    Global Posts
    789 Global Posts
    "Some people report success with car chargers plugged into it, but most don't."

Think you are wrong about using the Touchstone in a car many people like myself are having no issues charging the device.
    Global Posts
    62 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sjjones View Post
    "Some people report success with car chargers plugged into it, but most don't."

Think you are wrong about using the Touchstone in a car many people like myself are having no issues charging the device.
    As long as your car charger puts out the extra milliamps necessary. Best to stick with the Palm Pre branded chargers as they are 'certified' to output properly. Some people have had luck with the so called Hi-Output USB chargers from Motorola.
    Global Posts
    543 Global Posts
    So it appears from discussions on these forums that the 2600 mAh extended battery that will boost power by 100% will probably require a different back to be compatible with the thickness the battery will have. Assuming there won't be 'touchstone' compatible backs produced for the extended battery size, which would you rather have?

Touchstone to charge your phone?

Extended Battery which has been reported to last several days without charging?
    Touchstone all the way. 1 in house, 1 in car, never out of juice. Ok, only have
    1 now, buying 2nd soon. Why? One reason already stated, next, no bulk added,
    and ooohhh speaker phone on touchstone in car (scion tc) oh so sweet! What am
    I, a Borg, no stink'in bluetooth for me.
    We've got four Touchstones.. One at home, one at my work, one at wife's work, one in the car.
    Quote Originally Posted by bigfire View Post
    So it appears from discussions on these forums that the 2600 mAh extended battery that will boost power by 100% will probably require a different back to be compatible with the thickness the battery will have. Assuming there won't be 'touchstone' compatible backs produced for the extended battery size, which would you rather have?

I debated this myself. The answer, I think, depends on how and where you use the Pre. For someone that spends a lot of time away from a power source the extended battery would be the way to go. The touchstone would make more sense for someone who is close to a power source more often. I decided to go with a touchstone for my nightstand and another for my desk at work. I usually keep my Pre on my desk while I'm at work anyway. For me I think it will be more convenient to just slap it on the Touchstone. I did pick up a second palm battery for those times when I know I'll be away for a while. I hope I don't have to swap batteries too often though because that isn't exactly easy with the Pre.
    Accessories that I'm using with my Pre
    -Palm Leather Slip Case for Pre
    -Plantronics Discovery 925 Bluetooth Headset
    -Touchstone Charging Kit
    -2nd Touchstone Dock (for office)
    -2 International Travel Chargers
    -2nd Palm Battery
    -Palm Spare Battery Charger
    Quote Originally Posted by zyxwv88 View Post
    Ok, I know it's not an application, but I wasn't seeing hardware reviews, and this just needs to be reviewed.

The Touchstone charger is one of the best things to happen to mobile phone charging ever. It is a little on the pricey side compared to most chargers you've owned, but it is so worth it.

I own two myself. One sits on my headboard of my bed for nighttime charging, and another sits on my desk next to my laptop at work. This combination allows me to keep my battery fully charged through the day regardless of use.

There are a few places where the touchstone is handy. First, at work, or anywhere that you spend a large amount of time sitting. Many people take their phones out of their pockets and set them on their desks anyways, and placing it on the Touchstone isn't any harder than setting it on the desk. You can use all your applications while it's charging, or talk or listen to music and feel confident that you won't be discharging your battery. Even under heavy use, the touchstone charges faster than you can use the battery.

Another place is near your bed. Te angle of the Touchstone charger is great and it holds the Pre at a good angle to view the screen or even use it. The magnets are strong enough to hold it to the Pre even when sliding the cover open to get to the keyboard, and it stays solidly mounted while using the phone. With Pandora to listen to music, you can be charging your phone while listening to your favorite music going to sleep, and you don't have to worry about the cords jerking around. The sticky pad on the Touchstone keeps it stuck wherever you put it

The sticky disk on the bottom is unbelievable. Rather than go the easy route and make the Touchstone heavy and put a standard sticky pad on the bottom, they chose to go with a unique sticky pad with micro tubes that stick in the same way that a gecko's feet do. It gives it a very solid feel sticking to your desk or whatever surface you put it on, but it is easily removable, sticks to most anything, but is very easy to clean. My Touchstone stopped sticking after a few days because my desk was so dusty, so I unplugged it, took it in the bathroom, got my fingers wet, and ran them across the sticky surface and it cleaned it great. I dabbed it dry on a paper towel, and it was as good as new again.

The one thing to be aware of however is that the touchstone must be plugged into the wall. You can't plug it into the computer using the USB port, because the USB port apparently can't provide the needed power.

Some people report success with car chargers plugged into it, but most don't.

Keeping these limitations in mind, I still agree that the Touchstone is a must-have accessory for the Pre. Moving the plastic cover to allow the pre to be plugged in is a pain, and I love just dropping my phone on the charger and letting it charge wirelessly.
    Correction to what you've stated about car chargers. Use the proper combination of charger/adapter and USB cable, and it works like a champ.

You should buy a third TS for your car. Its awesome! No I do not work for Palm
    Quote Originally Posted by garos09 View Post
    Touchstone all the way. 1 in house, 1 in car, never out of juice. Ok, only have
    1 now, buying 2nd soon. Why? One reason already stated, next, no bulk added,
    and ooohhh speaker phone on touchstone in car (scion tc) oh so sweet! What am
    I, a Borg, no stink'in bluetooth for me.
    If you do have bluetooth in your car, then answering the Pre while its sitting on the TS automatically routes the call to the Bluetooth adapter. Nice for Bluetooth car stereo installs!
    Quote Originally Posted by bigfire View Post

TOUCHSTONE ALL THE WAY! Put them everywhere!
    Quote Originally Posted by Rawandvital View Post
    I have a touchstone kit video review up. I show what the underside looks like, what all comes in the box, etc. I used to look everywhere for a good, decent review that showed the product but could never find one. I ended up just getting one. So I did a review of my own...

enjoy and spread the word if you see anyone else asking about the touchstone...

I have a couple other reviews up also. A screen protector, a hip holster alternative for 19 bucks and the rocketfish gunmetal case.

enjoy!
    Can you please mount it on the dash in your car and then do another review touting this awesome device. Maybe if Palm sells enough of them, they will lower the price ......
    Global Posts
    15 Global Posts
    Love, love, love the Touchstone. A buddy of mine is SO jealous that his iPhone doesn't have such a thing.