Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    51 Global Posts
    First off, I just want to say that I am very impressed with Sprint CS right now...I know, that seems to be the exception to the rule, but I am really stoked! I called and explained that my Pre works everywhere but inside my house and immediate the gentleman told me that he would look up my account, see what options were out there for me. He offered me the Airave for free with 2 years of service for free. He's even overnighting my Airave free of charge! He was nothing but congenial and very willing to help in any way possible.

My question to other Pre owners is this: does anyone have an Airave out there? Do they work well? I was just wondering if they work like Sprint says they do. I've heard a lot of chatter about them, but haven't heard much about the after-effects of setting one up. Let me know what you think of your Airaves, please! Thanks so much!
    Please search before you post, there have been tons of threads on Airave already.
    Just got one yesterday. Same situation that you have except I don't even have service in my front yard. Anyway, it works great. With the Airave and Wifi turned on my battery lasts forever too. Hope you have the same luck I did.
    Global Posts
    239 Global Posts
    airave works pretty well but the range is nowhere near what they claim it is
    Global Posts
    51 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dead78 View Post
    airave works pretty well but the range is nowhere near what they claim it is
    Do you have one? What is the range like in actuality? Hopefully not to the point I have to sit by the thing...?
    Global Posts
    239 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mcurd0402 View Post
    Do you have one? What is the range like in actuality? Hopefully not to the point I have to sit by the thing...?
    yeah I've got one

the closer you are to it, the better it works. I'm in a two story house, about 3500 square feet...the airrave is upstairs. If I stay around it, I get 4-5 bars. If I go downstairs, it can drop as low as 1-2 bars.
    It works very well but can come with a whole new set of issues.

Airave is a band aid! I love that I have to use my Verizon DSL to get better reception with my Sprint phone...
    Global Posts
    51 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jbrowland View Post
    It works very well but can come with a whole new set of issues.

Airave is a band aid! I love that I have to use my Verizon DSL to get better reception with my Sprint phone...
    What issues have arisen for you? Obviously the Airave is a band aid, but that's really all I need as once I set foot out of the house, I have great reception.
    Global Posts
    88 Global Posts
    I also got the free Airave and 2 years of service (not until I asked to cancel my service, then they offered it), and where I used to have absolutely no service, I have 5 bars. It works throughout most of the house, even if it drops down to 2 bars, its still enough so that you don't drop calls, miss texts, or drain battery life. I'm very happy with it.
    Global Posts
    239 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rmxdave View Post
    It works throughout most of the house, even if it drops down to 2 bars, its still enough so that you don't drop calls, miss texts, or drain battery life. I'm very happy with it.
    that's not really true. since the airave doesn't handle evdo, your battery life is going to drain whenever you do data transfers. unless your phone can't find EV at all and remains on 1X all the time, there's really no way to prevent this.
    Global Posts
    599 Global Posts
    It has definitely improved my service at my house. Used to be crappy before the Pre and a bit worse when i got the Pre.

I keep it downstairs and get service all in and around my house.
    Funny thing I noticed is that when i used Google Maps/Where it showed my location as 30 minutes North. I guess this is where the server is located.
    What issues have arisen for you? Obviously the Airave is a band aid, but that's really all I need as once I set foot out of the house, I have great reception.
    My last 6 palm cell phones had no issue with reception in or outside my home. My 2 Pre's and my Wife's Pre have consistent signal/reception/dropped calls/straight to VM issues in and outside our home. In 10 years the only thing that has changed with my cell phone coverage is lack of reception with the Pre. I am still with Sprint and still in the same home. No problems until the Pre. No airave needed until the Pre. No dropped calls until the Pre. The Pre is the constant here when it comes to reception issues.

I wish it weren't so cuz I love the UI and OS!!!!!!
    OP...this is a good thread about the plus/minus of the airave solution

http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...al-policy.html
    I'm having issues with mine running behind a firewall setup at 192.168.228.1 It seems that the airave scans for an IP address on 192.168.1.* but it can't never find a port so it just scans and scans and slows down my network. I don't know how to fix this issue, but Sprint believes that my router should give it an IP and that the Airave should not be scanning for one.

Well, I could be wrong to... but anyways, it isn't working for at work because of my firewall.
    Last edited by TreoRock; 06/25/2009 at 12:43 PM.
    Global Posts
    599 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Treolo View Post
    I'm having issues with mine running behind a firewall setup at 192.168.228.1 It seems that the airave scans for an IP address on 192.168.1.* but it can't never find a port so it just scans and scans and slows down my network. I don't know how to fix this issue, but Sprint believes that my router should give it an IP and that the Airave should not be scanning for one.
    If DHCP is enabled on your router then it will assing it an IP. I assigned my Airave a static IP via the router.
    Global Posts
    51 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jbrowland View Post
    My last 6 palm cell phones had no issue with reception in or outside my home. My 2 Pre's and my Wife's Pre have consistent signal/reception/dropped calls/straight to VM issues in and outside our home. In 10 years the only thing that has changed with my cell phone coverage is lack of reception with the Pre. I am still with Sprint and still in the same home. No problems until the Pre. No airave needed until the Pre. No dropped calls until the Pre. The Pre is the constant here when it comes to reception issues.

I wish it weren't so cuz I love the UI and OS!!!!!!
    Well, I switched to Sprint for the Pre, so I really have nothing to compare my experience to besides this. My buddy has a Rumor and he seems to have about the same amount of reception in my house as I do, though. Do you think an update to the Pre in the coming weeks would help, or do you think you'll try to go with the Airave instead? I've been impressed with Sprint's CS so far.

Obviously with the Pre being a whole new animal there's going to be issues to be ironed out. We early adopters get to be guinea pigs for Sprint/Palm in a sense, but I can't say I regret it at all...I'm with you and agree that the UI and OS are simply incredible. I couldn't go back to my iPhone or Storm if you paid me...haha.

I'll take my chances with the Airave to make this little guy more functional in my home. Heck, I still get better reception with Sprint and my Pre than I did on AT&T with my iPhone...
    Airave interfered with my home WiFi network. Also, the range is nowhere near what they claim. In my 3500sq ft house, I'd need at least 2 Airaves for coverage.. also, your calls will drop when you from the Sprint network into Airave coverage (if you're on a call when you come home, etc).
    Well, I switched to Sprint for the Pre, so I really have nothing to compare my experience to besides this. My buddy has a Rumor and he seems to have about the same amount of reception in my house as I do, though. Do you think an update to the Pre in the coming weeks would help, or do you think you'll try to go with the Airave instead? I've been impressed with Sprint's CS so far.

Obviously with the Pre being a whole new animal there's going to be issues to be ironed out. We early adopters get to be guinea pigs for Sprint/Palm in a sense, but I can't say I regret it at all...I'm with you and agree that the UI and OS are simply incredible. I couldn't go back to my iPhone or Storm if you paid me...haha.

I'll take my chances with the Airave to make this little guy more functional in my home. Heck, I still get better reception with Sprint and my Pre than I did on AT&T with my iPhone...
    I was with ATT a long time ago and it was worse I agree, but that was long ago.

I hope it can be fixed since we both agree that the UI and OS rocks!!!

I'm glad you and many others ARE having a positive experience as it gives e hope.

I don't mind minor bugs but I can't call reception a minor bug that I can be patient for. I want a smart PHONE not a PDA!
    Quote Originally Posted by brettcp View Post
    Airave interfered with my home WiFi network. Also, the range is nowhere near what they claim. In my 3500sq ft house, I'd need at least 2 Airaves for coverage.. also, your calls will drop when you from the Sprint network into Airave coverage (if you're on a call when you come home, etc).
    hhhmmmm...this may be why my two pre's aren't finding and staying logged into my personal network... i have to manually log into my network EVERY TIME MY SCREEN SHUTS OFF and the phone doesn't do it automatically like it states it will in the wifi preference screen....hmmmm!!!
    Global Posts
    227 Global Posts
    I have a relatively small, single story house (2000 sq ft), and my airave works very well. I can even pick it up outside in the yard.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast