Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by dead78 View Post
    that's not really true. since the airave doesn't handle evdo, your battery life is going to drain whenever you do data transfers. unless your phone can't find EV at all and remains on 1X all the time, there's really no way to prevent this.
    Pre users would likely be using WiFi instead of 1X.
    Quote Originally Posted by Treolo View Post
    I'm having issues with mine running behind a firewall setup at 192.168.228.1 It seems that the airave scans for an IP address on 192.168.1.* but it can't never find a port so it just scans and scans and slows down my network. I don't know how to fix this issue, but Sprint believes that my router should give it an IP and that the Airave should not be scanning for one.

Well, I could be wrong to... but anyways, it isn't working for at work because of my firewall.
    I used to see this a lot with folks that set up a wireless device, and hooked the power up to the device before looking up the network cables.

Did you, by any chance, power up the unit (the first time) before hooking the cables up to your router?

If so, call Sprint and find out how to do a device reset. Here's what happens with Wireless devices, and I suspect the Airave is similar.

The device is powered on, and looks for a DHCP server. It can't find one, and instead assigned a default IP address. That IP address is remembered until the unit is hard reset.
    Global Posts
    239 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    Pre users would likely be using WiFi instead of 1X.
    the Pre automatically switches over to EVDO whenever the screen shuts off regardless of whether you're using WiFi or not. and 1X only kicks in with the Airave if the phone can't find EVDO first.
    Global Posts
    844 Global Posts
    yeah I've got one

the closer you are to it, the better it works. I'm in a two story house, about 3500 square feet...the airrave is upstairs. If I stay around it, I get 4-5 bars. If I go downstairs, it can drop as low as 1-2 bars.
    If at all possible, the Airave should be placed on the lower level, in a central location. Mine is downstairs, and I get full bars upstairs. Actually, I get full bars until I get about 1/2 way down my driveway.
    Global Posts
    239 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by fwinst View Post
    If at all possible, the Airave should be placed on the lower level, in a central location.
    lower level isn't an option. most of my time is spent upstairs, and the router is located up there as well.
    the Pre automatically switches over to EVDO whenever the screen shuts off regardless of whether you're using WiFi or not. and 1X only kicks in with the Airave if the phone can't find EVDO first.
    I see that now. I had not noticed that before.
    Global Posts
    34 Global Posts
    AiRave works well, but as others have said - the range is a problem. Location of the device is critical! put it as high as possible, near the center of your house (or the center of the areas you will use your phone).
    call quality and performance is outstanding, but the data rate is not 3G, which is very sad, considering I have it wired up to my internet connection, that is capable of shifting 2.5MB per second. Double the range and provide EVDO and it will be the best thing since sliced bread!!
    I used to see this a lot with folks that set up a wireless device, and hooked the power up to the device before looking up the network cables.

Did you, by any chance, power up the unit (the first time) before hooking the cables up to your router?

If so, call Sprint and find out how to do a device reset. Here's what happens with Wireless devices, and I suspect the Airave is similar.

The device is powered on, and looks for a DHCP server. It can't find one, and instead assigned a default IP address. That IP address is remembered until the unit is hard reset.
    No, I had everything plugged in before I powered up the device. I have a D-Link DFL-210 firewall and I think it is blocking the Airave somehow. The problem is that I don't know how to find which IP address it is using or how to open ports for it. Well, if I knew the IP address I could probably create a SAT IP rule and open ports for that IP, but I don't know which one it is...
    I have the free airave, but found out too late that it won't work with my Sprint Wireless Broadband. I know it sounds strange, but I have a honkin' big antenna, and I get 73 db on my sprint card, whereas our phones get one bar at best in the home. Our DL speed is 1mb, and upload is about 400k. The specs for Airave are that it just needs 40k per connection, and can only connect 3 calls at a time. No problem, right?

Well, I found out that for some reason, wireless internet connections don't work with the Airave. It needs a wired line when it creates its VPN that it uses to send calls through the internet. What a drag, I was really looking forward to having decent coverage in my house. Where I live, there is no DSL or cable. At least I will be able to use it at my office, so it's not a total waste.

That said, Sprint Customer Service was amazing in offering this device, sending it to me for free and giving me the service for free. I am no fanboy saying this; I have actually filed regulatory claims against Sprint in the past. (That was years ago over a billing mistake that they never corrected). That Sprint is long gone, and the Sprint I have been dealing with for the past 3 years or so has been a completely different entity. The culture has changed, and it is obvious when you call them. I wonder how long it will take before people figure that out, because all you hear when you mention Sprint is how bad the customer service is.There are undoubtedly still some bad reps and some people get bad service, but overall, the service is great. I have dealt with Dell, ATT, Microsoft, Toshiba, Hughes Satellite, Dish Network, and many other companies with large customer service operations, and Sprint (of the past few years) is by far the best one to deal with that I have experienced. In fact, I worry that they are too nice sometimes, because if they give too much away and go under, I may have to go to Verizon or ATT and deal with those huge, uncaring operations. Sprint is like the less popular girl who tries a little too hard to get people to like her.
    No, I had everything plugged in before I powered up the device. I have a D-Link DFL-210 firewall and I think it is blocking the Airave somehow. The problem is that I don't know how to find which IP address it is using or how to open ports for it. Well, if I knew the IP address I could probably create a SAT IP rule and open ports for that IP, but I don't know which one it is...
    Plug it in, use Angry IP Scanner to scan for all IP addresses on your network, make note of them (shouldn't be many), unplug it, run Angry IP again, and note which one doesn't answer a ping. That's your IP addy.
    See my Airrave Primer and issue post:

http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...-cautions.html
    Last edited by ETUTREO300; 06/26/2009 at 01:20 AM.
    ETUTREO300
    One thing that has really impressed me about the Airave is the sound quality. I often forget that Im not on a landline when Im connected to it.
    Plug it in, use Angry IP Scanner to scan for all IP addresses on your network, make note of them (shouldn't be many), unplug it, run Angry IP again, and note which one doesn't answer a ping. That's your IP addy.
    I have to make an update to this. I was on the developer's WIKI (I'm not a developer, I was just poking around), and ran into this to find the IP address:

Turn on your Pre's WiFi and locate the device's IP address. You can find it in the Wifi Preferences app. Choose wifi preferences, click on the name of the router you're attached to and note the ip address
    I just did this and the Airave doesn't show up on the network. Plugged in or unplugged from the network I still see the same IP addresses. Any ideas?
    I just did this and the Airave doesn't show up on the network. Plugged in or unplugged from the network I still see the same IP addresses. Any ideas?
    That's a pretty clear indicator that it's not connecting to your local network. I would call Sprint, and let them know you are not getting an IP address.

I'm assuming your system uses DHCP, correct? (In other words, you don't have to assign IP addresses to your other devices).
    That's a pretty clear indicator that it's not connecting to your local network. I would call Sprint, and let them know you are not getting an IP address.

I'm assuming your system uses DHCP, correct? (In other words, you don't have to assign IP addresses to your other devices).
    Yes, I have DHCP, but I have assigned an static IP to the Airave mac address using ARP in my Dlink Firewall. When I dial *99 it says I'm under Airave coverage, and sometimes I can make phone calls, but it gets disconnected after 1 minute or so.
    You can change your routers IP to the 192.168.1 more than likely.

you should also be able to forward/open the correct ports that the Airwave requires.

I havent used the config panel in a Dlink router in years, so maybe you cant.

It will work, but you need to get your settings correct.

In the last 5 years Ive been into IT , Dlink makes the worst products. Seriously.

I had an issue like this one, but it was quickly fixed with the right settings.
    Global Posts
    37 Global Posts
    I just received my Airrave today. I have poor reception in my apartment and the condo I'm moving into has no coverage. I called Sprint and they sent me the Airrave at no charge. Here are my before and after screenshots.
    Attached Images Attached Images
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12