Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Looking for a good and small FM transmitter so I can listen to my tunes/Pandora in my car. I don't have an AUX in in either of my cars and only one has a cassette that I would be able to use the tape-deck adapter. I just want one solution I can use in either vehicle.

Suggestions?
    Quote Originally Posted by MilenkoD View Post
    Looking for a good and small FM transmitter so I can listen to my tunes/Pandora in my car. I don't have an AUX in in either of my cars and only one has a cassette that I would be able to use the tape-deck adapter. I just want one solution I can use in either vehicle.

Suggestions?
    I'm sorry to say I don't think a decent FM Transmitter exists on earth... buy a $69 receiver at walmart with aux...
    go with monster aux cables
    Quote Originally Posted by mdmogren View Post
    I'm sorry to say I don't think a decent FM Transmitter exists on earth... buy a $69 receiver at walmart with aux...
    Portable FM transmitters were neutered by the FCC.

The Motorola T505 (you get hands free and music) has built in FM transmitter and it will automatically scan for a free frequency to use.

One of the biggest pains with using a FM transmitter is finding a good frequency.

The old FM transmitters used frequencies in the 88-89 range (because they were almost entirely unused) but now radio stations have started filling the frequencies (not by accident imo).

I wish I could find some Chinese company that still made a higher powered portable FM transmitter.

If you really want an FM transmitter, I would go with something like this (in-line style).

Amazon.com: Scosche FM-MOD02 FM Modulator for iPod, Satellite Radio or Portable Music Player: Electronics

or this

Amazon.com: Scosche Audio FM Modulator - Universal: Electronics
    Last edited by gmanvbva; 06/25/2009 at 10:02 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by mdmogren View Post
    +1 to that. FM transmitters are bloody crap. I have used many over the years and they are all the same. Even if they work for you the sound quality is poor (FM quality but worse). Installing an aftermarket receiver is simple these days and the results (even from the cheapest receiver) will totally eclipse the FM badness.
    I have had really good results with this FM transmitter:
    Amazon.com: Monster RadioPlay 300 Universal Full Spectrum FM Transmitter (MBL-FM XMTR300): Electronics

It really overpowers outside FM stations, and I've found that with the highest frequencies, there is little to no noticeable hiss. FM quality is never going to be as good as an aux input, but if you don't want to spend the money on a new receiver this is about as good as it gets (and I've tried a bunch of transmitters in the past -- they were all garbage).

I've also found the Sprint car charger tends to introduce FM interference when used in conjunction with a transmitter, but I haven't had any such issues using the touchstone.
    Quote Originally Posted by xcomputerman View Post
    I have had really good results with this FM transmitter:
    .amazon.com/gp/product/B000E43GOO/ref=pd_]Amazon.com: Monster RadioPlay 300 Universal Full Spectrum FM Transmitter (MBL-FM XMTR300): Electronics[/url] lpo_k2_dp_sr_2?pf_rd_p=304485901&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B00019068G&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=0TRJVB69YRSPME857398]Amazon.com: Monster RadioPlay 300 Universal Full Spectrum FM Transmitter (MBL-FM XMTR300): Electronics

It really overpowers outside FM stations, and I've found that with the highest frequencies, there is little to no noticeable hiss. FM quality is never going to be as good as an aux input, but if you don't want to spend the money on a new receiver this is about as good as it gets (and I've tried a bunch of transmitters in the past -- they were all garbage).

I've also found the Sprint car charger tends to introduce FM interference when used in conjunction with a transmitter, but I haven't had any such issues using the touchstone.
    The monster FM transmitters are the gold standard of FM transmitters. I had one for my *cough* iPhone *cough* and I couldn't have been more pleased. Sounds quality is rock solid.
    Global Posts
    193 Global Posts
    If you have a WalMart nearby, they sell a $10 FM transmitter by Bosche or Scosche or some off-brand name that looks like a larger brand name. I picked one up and it actually sounds great, and it has a bank of jumpers that allow you to select from a dozen or so different frequencies. If you're looking for an inexpensive solution that doesn't sound inexpensive and you're not too concerned with being able to change frequencies easily while driving, this might be your ticket.
    Global Posts
    46 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gmanvbva View Post
    Portable FM transmitters were neutered by the FCC.
    I have a pre-neutered FM transmitter made by Scosche that I bought for $10 a couple of years ago. It's signal is so strong it can be picked up clearly 5 car lengths away. It's like having a mini pirate radio station! At one point I was going to get a license plate frame telling cars behind me to tune in to my frequency to listen to my ipod!
    Global Posts
    883 Global Posts
    I love my Motorola T505.
    Another vote for the Motorola T505. Also gives you hands free telephone. If the FM station is weak, press a button and it tells you another station to put your radio on. Phone calls come through your radio speakers.
    instead of an FM transmitter how about a bluetooth receiver?
    I know this doesn't answer your question, but I would also recommend getting new head units in your cars. Its a great investment and adds much needed functionality. Even with the stock speakers in the car, the audio will be much better quality. Pretty much every stock headunit is crap compared to even a lower priced aftermarket unit.

I'd recommend staying away from the front aux input that uses a headphone type jack to plug in. The rear mounted RCA aux inputs are better, in my opinion.

I have a good bit of experience installing car audio and electronics, and it is actually very easy to install things yourself. If you do end up buying new receivers, you'll be glad you made the investment. Try and spend at least $100 for each unit. The cheaper ones are generally garbage and won't last long. Also avoid store brand models, like Dual and Lightning Audio.

Hope this info help!
  14.    #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by hypocaffeinemia View Post
    instead of an FM transmitter how about a bluetooth receiver?
    OK..sure, but how do I get it to play through my car stereo?
    Quote Originally Posted by MilenkoD View Post
    OK..sure, but how do I get it to play through my car stereo?
    Dunno. I know they make aftermarket car stereos with bluetooth built in, but conceivably if your stereo has an input port as most new cars seem to do, someone could make a stereo bluetooth receiver that utilizes it.

I haven't really looked into this, but I'm sure it's possible.
    A quick google search finds something like this: Jensen BTM10 Bluetooth® Adapter Enjoy hands-free calling and music streaming with select Jensen receivers at Crutchfield.com

The catch, of course, if finding one compatible with your particular stereo.
    I got two iriver FM transmitters on woot.com a while back and it works good for me. I have a BMW convertible and all I have to do is plug my Pre into it and it into my vehicle lighter plug. I can turn the music up on my car stereo.

I just found out that the Sprint Navigation app will lower the volume of the music and give you directions and then return the volume. I like that because when I am driving with the top down I can not hear the directions unless I hold the phone up to my ear.

I have a bluetooth Plantronics mic but it will not play the directions thru it or music. It just lets me talk on the phone.

Side Note: Yesterday I bought a Lubix Stereo Bluetooth Headset on woot.com and it said you could hear music and take phone calls... wow. I hope it works!
    Global Posts
    294 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Technologic 2 View Post
    Another vote for the Motorola T505. Also gives you hands free telephone. If the FM station is weak, press a button and it tells you another station to put your radio on. Phone calls come through your radio speakers.
    I'm considering the T505, but I have a Jawbone so I don't need the hands-free telephone capability. Does anyone know if I can use the T505 (for Pandora and Nav) and Jawbone for telephone at the same time?
  19.    #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by gc916 View Post
    ... Does anyone know if I can use the T505 (for Pandora and Nav) and Jawbone for telephone at the same time?
    Probably not. The device has to support the A2DP profile in order to play anything other than voice call through it. I suspect the the T505 only support the "Headset" profile.
    If you go with a new head unit for your car, Clarion makes a few with built in bluetooth, for a lot less then you may expect.

Since I can't post links yet, search amazon.com for the following:
    Clarion FB275BT
    Clarion DUZ385SAT
    Clarion FZ709
    Clarion FZ409

Though the Clarion CX609 doesn't have built in bluetooth, it does have a USB connector that you can stream music from and charge your pre with. The DUZ385SAT also has built in USB.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast