Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 33
  1.    #1  
    So, you all remember my thread about my Touchstone car install using the Sprint branded charger. Well, the other day, the charger just up & quit working. I had seen others from the forum having the same problem, so I just chalked it up to a bad charger.

    Anyways, I finally got around to getting another car charger to use with my already installed Touchstone, so I went ahead & picked up one that I knew would for sure work that was tested by others here, the original Palm branded car charger.

    Set it up, plugged it into the Touchstone & guess what? Phone wouldnt charge using the Touchstone/Palm car charger combo. "WTF?? I thought this worked???" Hmm, so I take it of the Touchstone, plug it directly into my Pre's USB slot & it worked. "Oh no. Please dont let me have a dead Touchstone" I thought to myself.

    Next, I went in the house & got my 2nd Touchstone that I use for home charging, took it to my car & used it along with the Palm car charger. My fears were coming true. It worked with the spare Touchstone. "God damn it!" I said out loud. I also checked a second no-name cheapo micro usb car charger that I picked up from Wal-Mart that I originally tried after my Sprint car charger went bye bye that I had already tested & thought just didnt work with the Touchstone & guess what else? That one also worked too with my spare Touchstone from the house but NOT with the original one that was installed in the car.

    Well, there you go. Not only did the Sprint car charger die, but it took my Touchstone with it. Now, there's a VERY small chance that both died for different reasons, but the chances of that are pretty freakin' slim. I do indeed believe they are somehow related.

    Beware, folks. Beware.

  2. #2  
    Maybe there's a reason they don't sell it for the car?
  3. kcs7272's Avatar
    Posts
    97 Posts
    Global Posts
    98 Global Posts
    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by mdmogren View Post
    Maybe there's a reason they don't sell it for the car?
    I believe I read several different articles stating the Pre and Pre accessories only work with OEM Palm Pre Parts or accessories. Not even Just Palm They have to be made for the Pre
  4. moe300's Avatar
    Posts
    101 Posts
    Global Posts
    108 Global Posts
    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by peestandingup View Post
    So, you all remember my thread about my Touchstone car install using the Sprint branded charger. Well, the other day, the charger just up & quit working. I had seen others from the forum having the same problem, so I just chalked it up to a bad charger.

    Anyways, I finally got around to getting another car charger to use with my already installed Touchstone, so I went ahead & picked up one that I knew would for sure work that was tested by others here, the original Palm branded car charger.

    Set it up, plugged it into the Touchstone & guess what? Phone wouldnt charge using the Touchstone/Palm car charger combo. "WTF?? I thought this worked???" Hmm, so I take it of the Touchstone, plug it directly into my Pre's USB slot & it worked. "Oh no. Please dont let me have a dead Touchstone" I thought to myself.

    Next, I went in the house & got my 2nd Touchstone that I use for home charging, took it to my car & used it along with the Palm car charger. My fears were coming true. It worked with the spare Touchstone. "God damn it!" I said out loud. I also checked a second no-name cheapo micro usb car charger that I picked up from Wal-Mart that I originally tried after my Sprint car charger went bye bye that I had already tested & thought just didnt work with the Touchstone & guess what else? That one also worked too with my spare Touchstone from the house but NOT with the original one that was installed in the car.

    Well, there you go. Not only did the Sprint car charger die, but it took my Touchstone with it. Now, there's a VERY small chance that both died for different reasons, but the chances of that are pretty freakin' slim. I do indeed believe they are somehow related.

    Beware, folks. Beware.
    I would just take the touchstone back and get an exchange if you can. Maybe the touchstone is taxing that sprint car charger too much like one person was mentioning in another thread? I stopped using my sprint car charger for my touchstone today. I went to Best Buy and got the oem palm car charger and it works perfectly for my touchstone. Since it's a full 1a output maybe it will be ok.
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by mdmogren View Post
    Maybe there's a reason they don't sell it for the car?
    True that! Im beginning to think all these Touchstone/car charger issues tells us that the Touchstone is VERY picky where it gets its juice from.

    But hey, I knew this going in & its the price you pay for being a tech maverick. And to be honest, Im already thinking of another way I can do this with the spare Touchstone. Yeah, I got a sickness.
  6. #6  
    Maybe the trash monster killed it?
  7. #7  
    it was the sprint charger.. its not powerful enough it only goes to the point it needs to charge the device.. where as other chargers go past that for the power... the phone and touch stone control how much they get.. but the sprint charger is working at its hardest 100% of the time... so that why it stopped working. where is the more powerful chargers dont have to work as hard to give the pre what it wants.
  8. doctoss's Avatar
    Posts
    87 Posts
    Global Posts
    100 Global Posts
    #8  
    Fried my sprint car charger today. The yellow light just blinks, and fortunately it did not take my TS down with it. Went and bought the oem palm charger from BB. No need to dremmel this charger. I would recommend people use the oem charger instead of the sprint charger if they are going to hook it up to the TS in the car.
  9. #9  
    I can't believe this crap. It's defective. It it was drawing too much juice and fried that is a design flaw in the TS. Take it back. My amps have thermal, load and circuit protection. If the TS doesn't, shame on them.
  10. #10  
    ill give u 5$ for it
  11. fushigi's Avatar
    Posts
    146 Posts
    Global Posts
    147 Global Posts
    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by realistdreamer View Post
    I can't believe this crap. It's defective. It it was drawing too much juice and fried that is a design flaw in the TS. Take it back. My amps have thermal, load and circuit protection. If the TS doesn't, shame on them.
    Normal USB port = 500 mA.
    Sprint car charger = 850 mA.
    Palm AC/USB charger = 1000 mA.

    The Touchstone supposedly requires 1000 mA.

    You're taking a chance on any solution that doesn't put out the full 1000 mA.

    That said, I would also wonder how sensitive the TS is to variances in the delivered power. Car lighter, er "accessory power", ports aren't known for having the cleanest power. A good charger would deliver the full 1000 mA and filter the power (probably through a small capacitor) to even it out and eliminate most variances in the power level.
    - Fushigi
  12. #12  
    OK folks -- I purchased a Siedo car charger -- it looks like it should work, but now I'm getting a little nervous. Does anyone know the specs on the Palm and the Sprint chargers?

    Mine says it is 5.3V and 1A -- it appears that it will work, but I really don't want to make a $50-$70 mistake, y'know?

    Touchstone in the car would rock my face off!
  13. #13  
    The Sedio Car charger is complete crap like the rest of their stuff. It does not work with the Touchstone. I should have known better because I have always been less than satisfied with there stuff over the years.
    Pilot 1000 -> Pilot 5000 ->Palm Pilot Professional -> HP 620LX -> TRG Pro -> Palm V -> Palm Vx -> Palm M505 -> Palm i705 -> Palm Tungsten|T -> Samsung i500 -> Treo 600->Treo 650 -> Treo 600-> Treo 700p ->Centro ->Treo 800w + Redfly C8n -> Palm Pre -> HP Touchpad
    R.I.P Palm 1996-2011
  14. #14  
    Can the touchstone handle 12V or does it need to be stepped down to 5V? If it can do 12-13.8VDC then would it would be possible to take the bottom off the touchstone and wire it directly to a switched power source in the car.....then it would have all the amperage it would need.
    I haven't taken mine apart so just spitballing ideas here.....
  15. rmackay's Avatar
    Posts
    190 Posts
    Global Posts
    192 Global Posts
    #15  
    Hi there,

    I received a 2nd touchstone from Palm today. Hooked it up so I can have a TS by my bed and in my office. The new TS was working great for about 4 hours when suddenly I head a ding from the phone. Why? No notifcations or nothing and then I realized the lightning bolt near the battery icon was not there. I lifted the Pre and set it back down - no ding and msg about charging. Damn! Put it on my bedside TS and it works fine. Go back to the office, still dead. I tried swaping cables and AC adaptor. Still the new TS was dead. Now I have to send this back and exchange for another one. Anyone else had their TS just up and die on 'em (normally that is, not by the hands of a non-OEM car charger)?

    Robert
  16. #16  
    If I hook up my Touchstone in my car using a DC to AC inverter with 200W continuous and 400W peak and am using the USB cable and plug that came with my Pre to connect to the inverter, am I safe?

    The inverter says that it converts DC power from any 12V vehicle power outlet to 120 VAC household power at up to 200W continuous and 400W peak.

    I don't want to ruin my Pre or my Touchstone, so any feedback would be appreciated.
  17. moe300's Avatar
    Posts
    101 Posts
    Global Posts
    108 Global Posts
    #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by sewswedish View Post
    If I hook up my Touchstone in my car using a DC to AC inverter with 200W continuous and 400W peak and am using the USB cable and plug that came with my Pre to connect to the inverter, am I safe?

    The inverter says that it converts DC power from any 12V vehicle power outlet to 120 VAC household power at up to 200W continuous and 400W peak.

    I don't want to ruin my Pre or my Touchstone, so any feedback would be appreciated.
    I wouldn't be afraid to do that you should be fine. That is definitely more than enough inverter and you could use a much smaller one as the wattage we are talking about here is only about 12 watts I think. Actually it's probably safer than using a car charger.
  18. wp746911's Avatar
    Posts
    69 Posts
    Global Posts
    71 Global Posts
    #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by fushigi View Post
    Normal USB port = 500 mA.
    Sprint car charger = 850 mA.
    Palm AC/USB charger = 1000 mA.

    The Touchstone supposedly requires 1000 mA.

    You're taking a chance on any solution that doesn't put out the full 1000 mA.

    That said, I would also wonder how sensitive the TS is to variances in the delivered power. Car lighter, er "accessory power", ports aren't known for having the cleanest power. A good charger would deliver the full 1000 mA and filter the power (probably through a small capacitor) to even it out and eliminate most variances in the power level.
    So that's what gets me about the original poster. Correct me if I'm wrong please, but it appears the original poster (OP) is using the touchstone in a non-designed underpowered way and then complaining about it having problems? Seems silly to me.

    Sewswedish has probably the right idea- you need to FULLY power your touchstone to keep things safe.
  19.    #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by wp746911 View Post
    So that's what gets me about the original poster. Correct me if I'm wrong please, but it appears the original poster (OP) is using the touchstone in a non-designed underpowered way and then complaining about it having problems? Seems silly to me.

    Sewswedish has probably the right idea- you need to FULLY power your touchstone to keep things safe.
    Did you hear me complaining?? Please, quote the part where I complained. So yeah dude, Im correcting you because you're wrong. Try reading. This is what I said:

    But hey, I knew this going in & its the price you pay for being a tech maverick. And to be honest, Im already thinking of another way I can do this with the spare Touchstone. Yeah, I got a sickness.
    I posted this as a warning for anyone trying to do what I did. BTW, I was the first one to try this with the Touchstone/Sprint charger combo. And the first to do this kind of Touchstone install in a car on the forum. Just letting people know what could happen.
  20. #20  
    I find this AFTER i bought the over priced sprint car charger......sigh im just gonna use it till death
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions