Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

sprint charger and touchstone both dead after only 1.5 weeks
    Quote Originally Posted by stronglikedan View Post
    Maybe the trash monster killed it?
    lol... seriously... if you aren't going to clean up the background atleast crop the picture or move it our of frame!

EDIT: BTW I have 2 sprint chargers for sale now!
    Global Posts
    41 Global Posts
    sprint charger and touchstone both dead after only 1.5 weeks[/QUOTE]

still have the receipt for the touchstone? Maybe send it back for a replacement? I have a similar setup except I am using the Palm vehicle charger. 2 weeks so far and still working
    Global Posts
    108 Global Posts
    After peestanding up had his fry from using the sprint charger, I don't know why people are still using it to power the ts. Don't get me wrong, it's unfortunate but I bet palm will swap out your ts or your can exchange it where you bought it.
    I was inspired by those trying this out with the Sprint chargers. After reading up on the OEM car charger I noticed this particular product feature from the PALM store listed under Details:

Designed to complement Palm microUSB devices

I have a power inverter but I decided to take a chance and hook up a less permanent mod using the TS and the OEM car charger and its small USB cable. I took an 8 hr road trip to DC with my Pre hooked up to the TS in my car via the OEM car charger and cable and it charged fine with E-mail, BT, and AccuWeather. I took the TS out of the car and used it inside for a few days with the TS USB cable and the TS worked fine. I also hooked up the TS on my return trip home and have been using the TS ever since with no problems. Hope this helps you out in your efforts to integrate the TS into your vehicles.
    Global Posts
    15 Global Posts
    Hmmm...and I was just ready to try this out. LOL...my car looks like that too.
    Global Posts
    76 Global Posts
    It doesn't really sound like the Sprint Car Charger Killed the Touchstone, but probably just the opposite. Trying to run the Touchstone with less power than it requires will have the chance of burning out the device - and could kill your charger.

I talked to Seido about their chargers and they said they are not wired correctly for the Touchstone, so I would use one of their charges at this time. Probably the best solution would be a third-party car USB charger and use the Palm cable. Make sure the charger can support at least 1 amp. Something like the Kensington chargers.
    Global Posts
    108 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dacsoft View Post
    It doesn't really sound like the Sprint Car Charger Killed the Touchstone, but probably just the opposite. Trying to run the Touchstone with less power than it requires will have the chance of burning out the device - and could kill your charger.

I talked to Seido about their chargers and they said they are not wired correctly for the Touchstone, so I would use one of their charges at this time. Probably the best solution would be a third-party car USB charger and use the Palm cable. Make sure the charger can support at least 1 amp. Something like the Kensington chargers.
    1a output is 1a output and it doesn't matter how you get there. With the exception of making sure the 2 pins on the usb cable are shorted for high output charging as long as you have that and a 1a output you should be safe.

That is the way I look at it, just a different way of explaining it. I'm not an electrical engineer but I know just enough to be dangerous. No one (except maybe palm) knows exactly what the TS needs power wise. From trial and error, we know that the sprint yellow oval charger will power a TS and charge a Pre and it's .85a. Since the oem palm chargers all output 1a (and we don't know how to interpret their 1a rating) which could be 1a peak for all we know, this leads us to the conclusion that the TS REQUIRES somewhere between .85a and 1a. It could also be that the sprint yellow oval chager's rating system is a different interpretation and it could be .85a peak (which is what I would guess from all the TS's going bye bye when connected to it). It could also be underrated and capable of even more than .85a and the TS is pulling even more from it. Either way, when it runs at its threshold for a yet to be determined period of time, it fails and usually the persons TS goes with it for whatever reason.

This is why, to be safe, we should only use the oem palm car charger when using the TS. Its all about HEADROOM which the palm oem chargers certainly have. It's not a perfect solution, as there is still the unexplained reason as to why some folks can't charge their phone when directly plugged into this charger. Under high loads with lots of apps open for some people a discharge actually occurs when directly plugged in, or in conjunction with a TS.
    Global Posts
    3 Global Posts
    So, are you all saying that the Sprint car charger shouldn't be used with the TouchStone? I am confused! I was sold a bill of goods at the Sprint store then. They told me I should use the Sprint car charger WITH the TS. What's the verdict? Help. Also, my phone doesn't make a sound anymore when I put it on a TS to charge. And the lightning bolt is always on, even when I am not charging it. What's up with that?!
    Global Posts
    108 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Leslie View Post
    So, are you all saying that the Sprint car charger shouldn't be used with the TouchStone? I am confused! I was sold a bill of goods at the Sprint store then. They told me I should use the Sprint car charger WITH the TS. What's the verdict? Help. Also, my phone doesn't make a sound anymore when I put it on a TS to charge. And the lightning bolt is always on, even when I am not charging it. What's up with that?!
    From what I have seen, the sprint car charger works fine for charging the phone (not with a touchstone). Use it with a touchstone at your own risk as more than one user has reported their TS and or sprint car charger frying. Not to mention you have to shave down the micro usb end on the sprint charger to even get it to work with the TS.

I recommend just getting the OEM Palm car charger. That is what I have been using since we found that the sprint charger can fail. I have had no problems whatsoever using the OEM Palm charger with my TS in my '04 Envoy.
    The voltage at your cigarette lighter will vary between 10v during cranking to 14v at full charge. Most auto systems run at about 14.1v any time youre not at idle. There is some voltage drop between the battery and your cigarette lighter, in most cases. Most cig adatpers run fused at about 10A max.

Now, what most people DONT realize, is that most auto systems suffer from minor AC voltage leakage into the system. It results in much electrical noise and can kill electronics if it goes unchecked. The alternator of your vehicle actually only produces AC, but a diode bridge rectifies the voltage to DC.

These two things combined are a PITA to work with when it comes to car electronics. Especially the kind that rely on steady state input. Clean input is important with battery chargers. Especially lithium chargers. A difference of a volt can be handled, but more than that gets tricky. The charger for your battery is built into the phone, and its input voltage is supplied by the connection at the USB port, or by the TS.

If the voltage into the charger drops too low, the charger will become a load on the battery. If the voltage rises too high, excess heat is created by the charger to regulate the output. Too much excess heat can cause damage, but most chips will go into a thermal protection mode and cease the charge cycle. This condition is caused by excess current through the charging circuit, and the need to dissipate the excess wattage in order to attain the required (lower) voltage.

'Dead' chargers likely occur when this happens. A fuse is meant to pop when load is too high, and I believe most car chargers will contain a fuse or are required to do so, otherwise it would be a fire hazard. Typically, the end of it (where it is inserted into the socket) will unscrew, or otherwise be removable, and a glass fuse will be contained therein. Otherwise, the fuse is hardwired in, but Ive yet to see one built this way. The TS base likely does not have a fuse because the input is already fused, and it would take catastrophic damage to the unit to cause a hazard.

The solution then would be to regulate power into either the TS, or the charge adapter itself. In the TS car mount thread, several people have used DC-DC converters for this very purpose.

So, a 'dead' charger can likely be fixed, a 'dead' TS base likely can, but not through simple means.
    double post, sorry, damn wifi sucks at home.
    Last edited by phreakish; 09/25/2009 at 12:26 AM.
    Global Posts
    46 Global Posts
    Car DC power is reeeeeally dirty. Run to a PSU/battery or power scrubber first, and then to your expensive electronics

Edit: Phreakish answered much better than me 2 posts up.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12