1.    #1  
    Interested in the Touchstone..What happens if I put the Pre with the magnet back in my pocket next to my credit cards ??
    absolutely nothing.
    My understanding is that the magnetism is only there when the power is....
    Global Posts
    61 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ryleyinstl View Post
    My understanding is that the magnetism is only there when the power is....
    Nope -- just checked by unplugging the USB and the Pre stays firmly affixed to the Touchstone. Also when taking it away and reattaching the Pre to a standalone Touchstone -- still sticks. So be wary of credit cards and other media that may be affected by magnetism near your Touchstone.
    Quote Originally Posted by stomsf View Post
    Nope
    Sorry, I should clarify. I meant the Touchstone rear cover as the OP was asking about. But ya, be careful of the base, it is constantly magnetized, power or not.
    A twist-tie lying on my desk will stick to the Touchstone with or without power, but it won't stick to the back of my Pre. I'm thinking that the four small circles on the back are just little pucks of metal that stick to the four magnets in the Touchstone.

In short, my twist-tie says the back of the Pre is not magnetic. You may still need to be careful of the speaker magnet (cell phones can erase hotel keys in my experience).
    Palm III-->Handspring Visor-->Sony Clie PEG-NR70-->no PDA -->Palm Treo 755p-->Palm Pre-->HP Veer
    Global Posts
    290 Global Posts
    Yeah, the touchstone back contains only regular non-magnetized metal. The touchstone dock is the piece that is magnetized.

Credit cards and whatnot should be safe.
    Quote Originally Posted by nKoan View Post
    Yeah, the touchstone back contains only regular non-magnetized metal. The touchstone dock is the piece that is magnetized.

Credit cards and whatnot should be safe.
    Note, the speaker is still magnetic. My twist tie is weakly attracted to it. Hotel keys, which are easier to erase, beware. But this is with any cellphone with a speaker.
    Palm III-->Handspring Visor-->Sony Clie PEG-NR70-->no PDA -->Palm Treo 755p-->Palm Pre-->HP Veer
  9.    #9  
    So to recap..

1. Touchstone Pre back cover is not magnetic..only metal (Tabs)

2. The Touchstone charging base is always magnetic..power on and off..

Sounds like it is reasonably safe w/ the exception of the speaker coil.

Just received my Pre...took about 5 hours to get my number switched from Verizon.. Let the games begin !
    A hotel key, designed to be reused and reprogramed, is far easier to damage then a credit card.