Page 9 of 45 FirstFirst ... 456789101112131419 ... LastLast
Like Tree8Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by sewswedish View Post
    I wanted to use my Touchstone in my car yet have it portable to also use in my office without constantly removing it and compromising the stickiness of the Touchstone (or buying a THIRD one - have one by my bed already). So I mounted the Touchstone on a flat disc which I attached to a plastic cup with sticky back Velcro. Also have Velcro on my desk at work. I just transfer the disk w/the Touchstone on it (and the data cable) from car to office. I keep an additional power adapter in the office and just connect the cable to that and plug it in to the wall. I don't have a lot of room in my Saab to place the Touchstone, which is why I decided to use the plastic cup (I filled it with gravel to weight it down). This way I can put it in the retractable cup holder which is in the dash and not do anything permanent to my car. Plus, I can use it in a rental car cup holder! I know it looks retarded and like a blonde made it (yes, I am), but it works for me! Pictures don't show it, but I just bought a 120V DC to AC inverter with a USB power port to power the Touchstone in my car. Does anyone know if this will be safer to use than a car charger? It says it converts DC power from any 12V vehicle power outlet to 120 VAC household power at up to 200 Watts continuous and 400 Watts peak. I don't really know much about HOW this stuff works, I just want it TO work, without messing up my Pre or Touchstone. I would appreciate any feedback.
    What a gal! Looks like you are pretty handy with gadgets
    Global Posts
    62 Global Posts
    I've mounted mine on my garden tractor

Ok guys these pics were taken with my Pre..

I just temporarily tapped the wire for now soon when I have time and get off my lazy **** i will hide the wire by routing it through one of the vents directly below the touchstone
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Rollerboy View Post
    Ok guys these pics were taken with my Pre..

I just temporarily tapped the wire for now soon when I have time and get off my lazy **** i will hide the wire by routing it through one of the vents directly below the touchstone
    how did you resolve your power issue? and i cant believe that fancy as$ car only has one 12volt socket there has to be another hiding
    MatterOfFactJack
    Global Posts
    99 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by flyin2low View Post
    I've mounted mine on my garden tractor

LMAO!!! Very nice!!!!
    -Polen
    History: StarTAC(Sprint) -> Sony Ericson(AT&T) -> Samsung SPH-i500 Palm(Sprint) -> Mogul(Sprint) -> Touch(Sprint) -> Pre(Sprint)
    Quote Originally Posted by jack87 View Post
    how did you resolve your power issue? and i cant believe that fancy as$ car only has one 12volt socket there has to be another hiding
    go figure kinda like my issue with mytether... i disconnected everything reconnected it all again and it has less problems... right now it only does the charging beep maybe once every 30minutes or so.. but we'll see what happens once i wire in a new VDC Outlet. i'll keep you guys updated!

It's not a fancy car.. but its the closest thing you can get to a race car for under 50k... its actually a no fluff car. its got just essential stuff.. radio, AC.. Great car though

2003 Honda S2000
    Quote Originally Posted by Rollerboy View Post
    go figure kinda like my issue with mytether... i disconnected everything reconnected it all again and it has less problems... right now it only does the charging beep maybe once every 30minutes or so.. but we'll see what happens once i wire in a new VDC Outlet. i'll keep you guys updated!

It's not a fancy car.. but its the closest thing you can get to a race car for under 50k... its actually a no fluff car. its got just essential stuff.. radio, AC.. Great car though

2003 Honda S2000
    fun stuff cool deal. just do not forget that in line fuse!
    MatterOfFactJack
    So what generic usb car adapters have people been using?

I've seen them for as low as $2.50 for a 1000mA adapter but I'm guessing that those are a piece of crap (unless anyone can vouch for them.) I was thinking more of getting something $10-$20.

Any suggestions?
    Think i got the Pre trifecta nailed. Rooted, tethering, some homebrew apps, and now..

Touchstone in car. Using Palm car charger 3453 (3437 was doing the ding every 5mins or so). Also got a Sony 2700 car stereo installed (might want something with external mic though as this is built in..but i wanted cheap). Bluetooth audio works fine for me and is a huge difference not having to plug anything in each time. It's very much like having it plugged in..doesn't miss a beat no matter if its pandora, gps, music...

This is probably not a big deal for some, but my first BT stereo so i'm a bit impressed and how the Pre integrates with it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Qwik0528 View Post
    So what generic usb car adapters have people been using?

I've seen them for as low as $2.50 for a 1000mA adapter but I'm guessing that those are a piece of crap (unless anyone can vouch for them.) I was thinking more of getting something $10-$20.

Any suggestions?
    Yes, those are junk! I bought two from monoprice and they didnt charge either of my Pre's AT ALL!! The Seidio ones were a little better. But I just bought two of the Palm chargers and they WORK even while running Pandora AND SprintNav! Get them from Precentral.net because the ones at Best Buy may not be the ones designed for the Pre.
    Global Posts
    25 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dunamis7 View Post
    I have two things that is happening...

1) the adhesive has come off totally. due to the heat here in California...

2) it's goes crazy sometimes. It gives off the notification that it is charging but goes off like every handful of seconds over and over. So I take out of the charger and put it back on or even reset the phone....then it does it again.
    If the Pre isn't properly centered on the Touchstone it'll be resting on the edge of the coil's field, and the Pre will intermittently connect, thus giving the multiple notifications, Usually just pushing the phone so its right and center will solve this simple issue.

You may want to check your case, the back cover, and make sure your using the USB cable the came with touchstone (if your in the house or using a power inverter in the car)
    Quote Originally Posted by McCarthy View Post
    If the Pre isn't properly centered on the Touchstone it'll be resting on the edge of the coil's field, and the Pre will intermittently connect, thus giving the multiple notifications, Usually just pushing the phone so its right and center will solve this simple issue.

You may want to check your case, the back cover, and make sure your using the USB cable the came with touchstone (if your in the house or using a power inverter in the car)
    While I'm sure incorrect positioning might cause a problem, the fix for me (and others) was to exchange the Touchstone (and metal Pre battery cover). My first one did it each and every time, at 100% charged. It seems when the battery level went below 100%, it ding dinged again, and again, and again.

My replacement TS works as it should. Here is a thread on the problem:

Touchstone issue... - webOS Hardware - Palm Support Community
    Quote Originally Posted by twizardt View Post
    Here's mine from my Avalanche (upside down)
    I've considered setting my Touchstone up like that in my Chevy Astro! (Well, except a bit higher, between the right driver side vent and the climate controls.)

How well does the Pre hold to the touchstone at that angle?

I think that location is better than where I've placed it now, between the two front cup holders.
    Did you know:

webOS ran on a Treo 800 during initial development.
    I just mounted my TS in my caliber. It works great, I'm not worried about it falling off it seems sturdy and I've hit some pretty good bumps in the road, there is a lot of road construction going on in my area and it's been solid. The TS is mounted with automotive trim tape (double sided) and it seems quite strong. I took the Gecko stuff off so the trim tape had a flat surface to grab onto. I also cleaned the dash and the TS with alcohol before applying the tape. The temp has been in the high 90's and it's all holding up well. I guess I'll have to see what happens in the cold winter. It's powered through the AC adapter that came with the pre, this car has a 120V inverter as a factory option, so I just plugged it in and routed the cable under the console. It is slightly annoying that the "Palm logo" on the TS is up side down. I took it apart to see if I could flip it over and decided I didn't want to break it. Maybe I can find or make a sticker to cover it. I just charge the pre through my computers USB in the house. Now I just need to get that Blue Tooth radio.
    Found a useful cigarette lighter socket at Amazon for those of you that wish to hard wire your TS in you car and don't want to solder directly to the adapter (I had problems with the surrounding plastic melting).

Ugh, can't post a link yet. So... on Amazon search for "Cigarette Lighter Socket".

Cost $2.39 plus shipping.
    Global Posts
    33 Global Posts
    I've been thinking about what I can do to custom mount my Pre/Touchstone in my car. I finally had a half-way decent idea about 4 weeks ago and set about getting everything I needed for the install. I spent some time thinking about all the things I needed to do the install and last weekend started on my project and finished it this weekend. I think I like it so far. The final pics don't show truly how amazing this looks in person. The screen is crystal clear and I can easily read all the characters on the screen.

BTW, the mount is not quite "professional" and I know I'll be making a second one with a bit more precision than the first one. Enjoy the pics:

16 Gauge Sheet Metal from HD to make the mount:

Some of the other Parts (Grom Audio Adapter (about $90 from GROM website+shipping) used with Anycom FIPI Bluetooth Receiver (@ Sprint for 9.99) + CyberPower 150W inverter (@ Frys for $10) + Misc parts.

Mess on the floorboard

Installation complete

Passenger View and also shows what the top of the mount looks like

Driver View1

Driver View2

Best part is that GROM audio adapter is supposed to use an always hot 12V wire and during this installation I changed it to a switched 12V wire (I know I'll appreciate this during the Chicago winters when there is no battery drain).
    Here are some pics of my recent TS install in my FX35. It's clean, works flawlessly and I finally got to make use of the Kuda mount that I installed long before (with the intention of using it for an iPod Touch).

Parts used:

Kuda mount
    Touchstone
    Sprint wall charger
    APC DC to AC power inverter
    double sided tape

I took pictures of the whole install process, if anyone would like to see them just PM me.
    Quote Originally Posted by shoolace View Post
    Some of the other Parts (Grom Audio Adapter (about $90 from GROM website+shipping) used with Anycom FIPI Bluetooth Receiver (@ Sprint for 9.99) + CyberPower 150W inverter (@ Frys for $10) + Misc parts.
    I dropped by Fry's this evening and picked up the CyberPower adapter and plugged it in (unfortunatly, I had to pay the full $35 for it...).

Have you noticed any issues with the Pre screen when using the CyberPower inverter? The larger Targus 90W inverter that I have has no issues...

Maybe I just got a bad inverter...
    Did you know:

webOS ran on a Treo 800 during initial development.
    Global Posts
    720 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Stase View Post
    Here are some pics of my recent TS install in my FX35. It's clean, works flawlessly and I finally got to make use of the Kuda mount that I installed long before (with the intention of using it for an iPod Touch).

Parts used:

Kuda mount
    Touchstone
    Sprint wall charger
    APC DC to AC power inverter
    double sided tape

I took pictures of the whole install process, if anyone would like to see them just PM me.
    I have been contemplating getting a Kuda mount. They look really nice. Did you have to do anything special to get the touchstone to stick to it? Did you buy an add-on or just the mount?
    Global Posts
    83 Global Posts
    I searched through the thread and some people have mentioned 3m tape, I've used the double sided foam to mount something in my car and it came off. What tape are people using? I want something that will hold, I don't want my mount coming off! In MN so needs to deal with extreme heat and cold. Also it would be nice if it could eventually be removed cleanly.
Page 9 of 45 FirstFirst ... 456789101112131419 ... LastLast