Page 7 of 45 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111217 ... LastLast
Like Tree8Likes
  1.    #121  
    Quote Originally Posted by Rawandvital View Post
    It would be a clip case though. You just pop the Pre out and you can hold it in your hand. Pop it back in the case and it's flush against the touchstone charging...
    It's a great idea if you use a clip case to carry your Pre on your belt!

The location for the hole for the TS needs to be fairly precise though.
    Quote Originally Posted by TopTongueBarry View Post
    Next to worst case scenario: the Sprint charger hiccups as it fails from working its frigging arse off pumping its maximum output (850 ma) to the touchstone and the pre at all times. Then, as it hiccups and fails it sends a momentary jolt of say .... 12 volts straight to your touchstone and your pre which expect 5 volts, thus cooking the charging mechanisms.

Here's the worst case scenario: You lose your car too. The Sprint charger works its arse off until one day it just plain gets so hot from working so hard that it cooks, sizzles and catches on fire. Say goodby Pre, say goodby touchstone, and say goodbye to your car.

Have I painted a clear enough picture for you ?
    You sir have a very firm grasp of electronic circuits and inductive coils!
    I commend your precautionary wisdom!
    Well, no. I mean, the clip case holster thing would be permanently fixed to the Touchstone. So when you want to take your pre with you when getting out of the car. You just unclip the Pre out of the clip case. The Clip case stays in the car attached to the Touch Stone.

See my other thread I made about a Touchstone Car modification. I have much better plans posted there. It is seriously the best way to achieve what everyone wants.
    Really appreciate everyone's cautions and well intended advice, but the real question is there anyone who has tested or seen schematics with the actual real deal information? We all know cars are 12v and we all know usb is 5v; we also know there 12v charges which put out different levels of amperage. Voltage (like the water pressure in a pipe) times amperage (the size of the pipe) equals watts (total measure of electrical power or the total amount of water moving through the pipe at any one time). We have all experienced the Pre has very different charge times with different charges - meaning the total watts delivered over a period of time to charge the battery is different. The real question, is the difference due to voltage and or amperage. Voltage is typically varied in modern electronics by complicated circuits "switching" power on and off very quickly to achieve the target voltage - these are the very light weight chargers. Older/cheaper charges use transformers - these are the heavier charges which just put out one voltage. Sooooo - is the difference in charge times on the Pre due to variable voltage or just different amperage limits on specific charge gear?
    Using my Pre to help run: www.at-peace.net

Sharp Zaurus->HP Jornada->Sony Clie T615->Treo 650 (CDMA)->Treo 755p->Palm Pre (Disappointed) -> Iphone4 (Happy)
    it's the current. The problem I believe many people are having is that (1) touchstone+pre may need more than 1 amp (I don't know where the person got the info that the TS needs 350mA. I'd like to read that site or PDF, please post it), or (2) a lot of these supposed 1A power supplies are not putting out 1A (or maybe its 1A peak). Imho, the later would explain both non-functioning supplies (output is just too low) and on/off dancing (where the supply is negotiating up to a higher current then cycles cuz the touchstone draw is too high). Ideally we could bench test a lot of these, but I'm not spending $200 just on chargers.

I just ordered a variable DC to DC converter for my car. It's 3A output. I'll post on my findings (I'm very hopeful). Don't forget that being able to supply more current than is needed is ok. The TS will only take what it needs. The circuit just needs adequate protection for voltage spikes (regulator) and a fuse to watch the input amps.
    Last edited by Nurgling; 07/17/2009 at 05:33 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by KevMiami View Post
    How about some real advice on voltage & ampreage?
    Nurgling provided you some of the best answers you are going to get without solid bench testing.

Voltage is determined by the source (charger). Amperage (current draw) is determined by the load (Touchstone) and not the charger (but can and should be limited by the charger). A charger spec'd at 5v 1A (or 1000mA) will supply up to 1A (dependent on the load). This is the reason you could charge your Bluetooth devices with the same 1A charger even though they come with (and require) only a .2A (200mA) charger. The Bluetooth device should determine the load and current draw. Without the current limiting however, it would be possible (but very unlikely) to damage the device.

He is also correct that manufacturers rate their chargers (and inverters) differently. They sometimes only provide the top (peak) spec's for limited periods of time and are truly designed to operate at about 80% - 90% of that.

As far as how they are built... I believe, most 5v chargers use a combination of capacitors, resistors and voltage (shunt) regulators (which are diodes/transistors). Very simple circuitry.

Edit: Here is a simple example.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Voltage_stabilizer
    Last edited by gmanvbva; 07/17/2009 at 09:05 AM.
    Sooooo - is the difference in charge times on the Pre due to variable voltage or just different amperage limits on specific charge gear?
    It is due to different amperage limits on specific chargers.
    Good info here, guys & gals! I am learning a lot about general electricity in here!

So it sounds like you can provide as much current as you want, but the device dictates how much it pulls from that. So with that in mind, would it be best to take the universal charger provided with the Pre and either hardwire that to the car or devise a plate that turns it into a car charger? Since it has changeable plates, could this be done or is it designed only for AC?
    Quote Originally Posted by BMIC50 View Post
    ...the universal charger provided with the Pre...
    What are you referring to?
    The only charger that comes with the Pre is the AC wall charger.
    Quote Originally Posted by gmanvbva View Post
    Yes, its a universal charger. You can twist the prongs off to put international prongs on.
    Now I'm learning something - God bless smart people willing to take the time to post! Good stuff. Please let us know how the dc-dc converter works, was a very expensive install in my wife's car: $70 Touchstone; $30 120v Sprint Charger and $40 12w inverter; lot of waste and a pain to bury for clean install. Thanks again, Kev

Sharp Zaurus->HP Jornada->Sony Clie T615->Treo 650 (CDMA)->Treo 755p->Palm Pre (Disappointed) -> Iphone4 (Happy)
    Now I'm learning something - God bless smart people willing to take the time to post! Good stuff. Please let us know how the dc-dc converter works, was a very expensive install in my wife's car: $70 Touchstone; $30 120v Sprint Charger and $40 12w inverter; lot of waste and a pain to bury for clean install. Thanks again, Kev
    Pics please!!!
    Ok, now that we have the physics under control, should we build one? I cut open a USB cable and it has 4 wires (shielded with foil) that are definitely solder-able; haven't yet decided to destroy a new $14 microUSB cable though. the 1 amp 5v output (35vdc max input) voltage regulator at Radioshack is a back-braking $1.59; I think the 2amp fuse holder will cost more. The reviews are interesting, one guy put two together with a diode to get 2amps. Pop riveting to steel frame under dash should be enough of a hot-sync.

+5V Fixed-Voltage Regulator 7805 - RadioShack.com

If I didn't have enough other projects (like post picture of wife's Touchstone mount - had to use a stalk, so not sexy, but very functional), should just do for fun.

Global Posts
    25 Global Posts
    This is awesome guys!
    Quote Originally Posted by alvin319 View Post
    Here are some pics of my mobile office/entertainment center. Travel a lot as you can see and have plenty of things to keep me entertained. Enjoy!
    I think I've seen flight decks with more basic layouts than this.
    Here's my custom setup in an older Ford Explorer. Yes, I'm using the Blackberry bluetooth gateway connecting to a cassette adapter

I fabricated the mount out of aluminum, and the ledge has weather stripping on it to cushion the Pre.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Global Posts
    15 Global Posts
    man...makes me kinda want to pick one up for my car...
    Good info here, guys & gals! I am learning a lot about general electricity in here!

So it sounds like you can provide as much current as you want, but the device dictates how much it pulls from that. So with that in mind, would it be best to take the universal charger provided with the Pre and either hardwire that to the car or devise a plate that turns it into a car charger? Since it has changeable plates, could this be done or is it designed only for AC?
    Quote Originally Posted by gmanvbva View Post
    Yes, its a universal charger. You can twist the prongs off to put international prongs on.
    Ahh. But yes, it is most assuredly designed for only AC.

Is there some place you can buy the international adapter?
    I hadn't even realized it twisted off.
    For those saying that whe you brake all the momentum goes forward further securing the pre in its place have neglected to realize that most of us get a sudden throw back when braking hard in our cars. I soon expect to see stories on people who have had their pre fly across the car and how thankful they were the bought insurance :}
    Quote Originally Posted by Aclypse View Post
    For those saying that whe you brake all the momentum goes forward further securing the pre in its place have neglected to realize that most of us get a sudden throw back when braking hard in our cars. I soon expect to see stories on people who have had their pre fly across the car and how thankful they were the bought insurance :}
    I drive a pretty sporty handling car (Lexus IS300) and I have tried, very hard, to get the Pre to release from the TS while driving.

So far so good.
    Palm Vx -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Centro -> Pre (Launch Phone 06/06/09) -> AT&T Pre Plus with Sprint EVDO swap -> Samsung Epic 4G w/ Froyo
Page 7 of 45 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111217 ... LastLast