Page 6 of 45 FirstFirst 123456789101116 ... LastLast
Like Tree8Likes
  1.    #101  
    Quote Originally Posted by jack87 View Post
    i havent got a touch stone yet.. but mine is going on the dash in the center right on top. with the ts facing the right way. i am excited about it. i am installing a new socket underneath the steering column to the left my by fuse box facing down and i will have the wire running from there and up to the dash right in the touch stone wont even be viewable. this way the phone is in sight for navi or videos or whatever when traveling also for maneuvering music and such. viewable both for me an passenger. only question do i need to worry about head when its on my dash? will it hurt the phone or the touch stone since it will always be there?... sadly enough its a black i35... my windows are super dark so not bad but the windshield is not... black dash as well.. ehhh kinda concerned any input?
    For a minute there I thought you were installing the Touchstone on your motorcycle!
  2.    #102  
    Quote Originally Posted by d94 View Post
    how are everyones touchstones handling 100f+ days?
    Not too well. when its been parked in direct sunlight, I don't put my Pre on it until the AC has cooled the car off.
    Quote Originally Posted by TopTongueBarry View Post
    For a minute there I thought you were installing the Touchstone on your motorcycle!
    That would be a true test for the magnet.
    Palm Vx -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Centro -> Pre (Launch Phone 06/06/09) -> AT&T Pre Plus with Sprint EVDO swap -> Samsung Epic 4G w/ Froyo
  4.    #104  
    Quote Originally Posted by NickDG View Post
    You guys realize you are going DC to AC to DC again with the inverter? You are better off hardwiring the TS into your car.
    The Car is 12V DC - USB Power is 5V DC. Wanna cook everything, then follow NickDG's advice and hardwire 12 V DC to your Touchstone. I wouldn't advise hardwiring your connection for power!.
  5.    #105  
    Quote Originally Posted by tqpolo View Post
    Which cable do I need to hardwired the TS into the car? Is there a step by step instruction?
    DO NOT HARDWIRE 12 V DC to your TOUCHSTONE.\

USB POWER IS 5 V DC.

USE AN ADAPTER
  6.    #106  
    Quote Originally Posted by jbjohn942 View Post
    Does anyone know how to take the touchstone apart without destroying it?
    Remove the sticky adhesive. Under that you will find 3 (three) screws) Remove them and the touchstone disassembles from there.
    Only purpose I can see for doing this is to try to route the cable through the bottom. Tough task since the connector on the touchstone circuit board is so close to the edge of the touchstone. It can be done though if you make your own cable for the touchstone side, you can connect and solder the connector at 90 degrees. too much hassle for me.
  7.    #107  
    Quote Originally Posted by NeoteriX View Post
    Frickin' clever.
    I second that!
    The Car is 12V DC - USB Power is 5V DC. Wanna cook everything, then follow NickDG's advice and hardwire 12 V DC to your Touchstone. I wouldn't advise hardwiring your connection for power!.
    I would hope that if someone was going to go through the trouble of hardwiring they would know they have to step down the voltage.
    Palm Vx -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Centro -> Pre (Launch Phone 06/06/09) -> AT&T Pre Plus with Sprint EVDO swap -> Samsung Epic 4G w/ Froyo
  9.    #109  
    Quote Originally Posted by NickDG View Post
    I would hope that if someone was going to go through the trouble of hardwiring they would know they have to step down the voltage.
    You and I may know that, however, considering the type of questions we've seen in this thread about hardwiring, I don't think that was clear.

Last thing I want to see is someone cook their TS and/or Pre by performing something they read about here.
    DO NOT HARDWIRE 12 V DC to your TOUCHSTONE.\

USB POWER IS 5 V DC.

USE AN ADAPTER
    If you want to do the hardwire solution, the best way is to use the car adpater, and then solder the positive and negative cables to it, then tie that into your power.. I believe the tip of the charger is the positive, and the negative is the prongs on the sides. That's how I have it.. Still has the chip, etc.. so it's safer than a direct wire by cutting the adapter.
    Remove the sticky adhesive. Under that you will find 3 (three) screws) Remove them and the touchstone disassembles from there.
    Only purpose I can see for doing this is to try to route the cable through the bottom. Tough task since the connector on the touchstone circuit board is so close to the edge of the touchstone. It can be done though if you make your own cable for the touchstone side, you can connect and solder the connector at 90 degrees. too much hassle for me.
    Thanks! I'm trying to see if i can take out some of the internals and have the charger almost flush with the dash. I'll see how it goes and keep you guys posted.
    I had the Palm charger....it didn't work a damn, totally unreliable. I got the official Sprint charger, the 850ma version, and it works fine. However, reading how people say that the 850 is working its **** off and overheating, makes me not want to buy a touchstone now!

What's everyones experience been with the Sprint 850ma charger!? I don't want to push my luck and get another one of those cheaply made Palm chargers again! Hell that thing was so tight in the power plug, the whole center console was moving when I tried to take it back out again!
    So I am working on developing a modification for the Seidio case + the Touchstone to work in the car.

There's a lot of chatter about when using the Seido case that the magnetic hold isn't strong enough to keep the PRE attached if you have it suspended sideways. This is true!.

So, I'm going to be working on a mod. So you'll be able to have the Seidio Innocase on the Pre and be able to have it magnetize to the touchstone without the worry of it falling off!

Would anybody have interest in this? Just curious.
    Last edited by Rawandvital; 07/16/2009 at 11:39 AM.
    I would buy one
  15.    #115  
    Quote Originally Posted by MannyZ28 View Post
    I had the Palm charger....it didn't work a damn, totally unreliable. I got the official Sprint charger, the 850ma version, and it works fine. However, reading how people say that the 850 is working its **** off and overheating, makes me not want to buy a touchstone now!

What's everyones experience been with the Sprint 850ma charger!? I don't want to push my luck and get another one of those cheaply made Palm chargers again! Hell that thing was so tight in the power plug, the whole center console was moving when I tried to take it back out again!
    Palm Charger will work as long as it is the new one designed for the Pre. It needs to be 1000ma and if you need the cable hack to make it work, then that's better than pushing your Sprint charger to the brink using a TS.
  16.    #116  
    Quote Originally Posted by MannyZ28 View Post

You can purchase a generic USB charger 1 amp (1000ma) or higher. Use the Palm supplied cable or a generic cable (USB to Micro USB). If the adapter is manufactured to comply with the latest USB power standards, then it will work just fine. If it does not signal the TS that it is capable of delivering the needed amperage (which at 1000ma it is), then you can use the cable hack described in another thread. Everything's happy that way.

Note: Do not use the cable hack unless your adapter is capable of delivering the necessary amperage and does not signal the TS of this capability.
    Last edited by TopTongueBarry; 07/16/2009 at 12:50 PM.
  17.    #117  
    Quote Originally Posted by Rawandvital View Post
    So I am working on developing a modification for the Seidio case + the Touchstone to work in the car.

There's a lot of chatter about when using the Seido case that the magnetic hold isn't strong enough to keep the PRE attached if you have it suspended sideways. This is true!.

So, I'm going to be working on a mod. So you'll be able to have the Seidio Innocase on the Pre and be able to have it magnetize to the touchstone without the worry of it falling off!

Would anybody have interest in this? Just curious.
    I'd like to see it.
    Here's my plan of action...

You mount the touchstone onto the car dash somewhere. A lot of people in this thread have already been doing that. So this shouldn't be an issue. The issue is sticking the Pre to the touchstone WHILE having the Seidio Innocase on the Pre. Magnet isn't strong enough... What to do, what to do.

I'm going to buy a clip. There are a couple different versions out there. I'm talking about the clip case type of accessory. Seidio makes a nice one. Something similar to that!

From there I would measure the diameter of the touchstone and very carefully cut the back of the clip case matching the size! So now you have a hole on the back of your clip case, right? A hole that the Touchstone can slide in an out of if needed. So now the trick is getting the clip case rigged on the touchstone in a way to where it will stay and not fall off. You can get liquid cement for this. There are a ton of products at hardware stores. You can get some kind of clear chalk or heck, the cheapo way using a hot glue gun might work if you take that route.

So now you have the clip case with a hole in the back, right? The touchstone is slid into that hole and is flush. So basically where the hole is on the back of the clip case, the touchstone now fills in that hole, but it must be flush. Bingo!!!

SO now when you set your Pre inside the Clip Case and clip it in, the magnetic back part of the Pre is lined up perfectly with the touchstone is.

Get in the car, pop the Pre in the Clip Case mounted on the touchstone. The magnetic back lines up with the touchstone and bingo. It's secure, with the Seidio case and is charging....

That's my plan. Make sense?
    Here, excuse the crappy pic. We only have paint at work! haha
    *might be hard to read the text on the pic, but it says, the touchstone is flush against the back. Almost like it's an inlay.

idea 1.JPG
    Last edited by Rawandvital; 07/16/2009 at 02:27 PM.
  19.    #119  
    Quote Originally Posted by Rawandvital View Post
    Here's my plan of action...

Get in the car, pop the Pre in the Clip Case mounted on the touchstone. The magnetic back lines up with the touchstone and bingo. It's secure, with the Seidio case and is charging....

That's my plan. Make sense?
    Here, excuse the crappy pic. We only have paint at work! haha
    *might be hard to read the text on the pic, but it says, the touchstone is flush against the back. Almost like it's an inlay.

idea 1.JPG

To be totally honest, personally I prefer to have easy access to my pre for fingertip dialing and for playing music through the car's bluetooth audio system. Attaching a case to the TS just does not make sense to me.
    It would be a clip case though. You just pop the Pre out and you can hold it in your hand. Pop it back in the case and it's flush against the touchstone charging...