webOS Nation Forums >  Stuff for your webOS Device >  webOS Accessories > Palm Pre using a Touchstone mounted in your car? Post your pictures here!
Palm Pre using a Touchstone mounted in your car? Post your pictures here!
Like Tree7Likes

Old 09/04/2011, 02:04 PM   #861 (permalink)

That looks awesome!
miafey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/18/2011, 10:58 AM   #862 (permalink)

Update to my dashboard mounting in my 2002 Ford Taurus (soon to be moved to a new 2011 Taurus I'm buying this week): I love the convenience of a vertical Proclip dashboard mount, but I have the Seidio 2600 battery with Steve Burlbaw's Touchstone mod, and even with the extra magnets Steve put in, a solid pothole jolt can dislodge the Pre/Pre2 off the vertical mount. I realized I needed a bottom support.

After looking for off-the-shelf solutions, I ended up combining a door stop and metal bracket from Home Depot. I mounted them below the Touchstone with a bolt (via an additional hole drilled through the Proclip holder), at just the right distance from the Touchstone so the phone is properly centered:

Works very well. {Jonathan}
@webOSquire on Twitter
Jonathan I Ezor#IM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/18/2011, 11:53 AM   #863 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TopTongueBarry View Post
I've got a Veer and it works fine in all three cars with touchstones installed. Even better than the Pre + and Pre 2 in one of them because I had the intermittent charging on and off problem with that one. It hasn't done that with the Veer, yet ......

P.S. I was able to test a Pre 3 in one of them the other day - and it works fine too! Shhhhssshh ....

I should clarify, it wasn't mine, but someone I know has one ......
TTB I PM'd ya
twack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/13/2011, 02:16 PM   #864 (permalink)

Just modified the touchstone setup to accommodate the heavier curved back Pre3

Old setup:

New setup:

Detaiils on vent mount setup here: http://forums.precentral.net/hp-pre-...ml#post3205417

Vent Mounted Touchstone for Pre3 DIY!
vasekvi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/29/2011, 11:30 AM   #865 (permalink)

I mounted my Touchstone in a similar fashion. Unfortunately, I forgot that a car's factory
navigation screen(Renault Laguna) was too close. It was the the screen itself that was affected, but rather, some sort of navigation module just behind the dash that didn't react too well to a magnet so close. I moved the Touchstone about 5cm down and the problem was cured. (but now the phone's screen is a little harder to see)
friedscones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/02/2011, 05:38 PM   #866 (permalink)

Well here is my touch stone set up in my 2006 Scion xB RS3 show car just added my touch pad mount today so took pix for you guys since im getting the car ready for the EXXXOTICA **** Convention/EXXXOTICA Car Show this weekend.

njforcedlife77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/11/2012, 08:34 AM   #867 (permalink)

Mounted in my 09 malibu

I have since hidden the cord. Nice clean install!!!!
pchrist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/20/2012, 02:22 PM   #868 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pchrist View Post
Mounted in my 09 malibu

I have since hidden the cord. Nice clean install!!!!
What parts did you use to get the Touchstone to stay on the dash? I am also looking to mount a Touchstone in my Malibu.
gobigred303 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/20/2012, 03:15 PM   #869 (permalink)

i had a piece of sheet metal bent and powder coated to fit the touchstone on. It's smooth so it sticks really well. The bent piece slides between the vents and stays put.
pchrist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/10/2012, 05:52 PM   #870 (permalink)

Sprint Frankenpre2 on Touchstone - '06 Civic Coupe

I mounted the Touchstone on a ProClip Console Mount from proclipusa.com. I cut the top half of the mount off as the touchstone is already angled appropriately.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Civic_touchstone.jpg (736.2 KB, 32 views) Email Attachment
disdigg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/10/2012, 06:01 PM   #871 (permalink)

Sprint Frankenpre2 on Touchstone - '72 Datsun/Nissan 240Z

The touchstone is not high enough to clear the ashtray handle, so I search extensively for a solution. I have no idea what these are, but one "Warhammer 40K Fantasy Bits Round Base 65mm x 6 PCS NEW VERSION 3.0" black round plastic disc provided just enough lift.

I found mine on eBay and still have 5 more. I'll gladly share if by chance there's another Z car driving webos fan.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 240Z_touchstone.jpg (652.7 KB, 26 views) Email Attachment
disdigg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/10/2012, 06:24 PM   #872 (permalink)

Modified my TS for my Pre 3 with a half round file and some flat black paint and with the the help of some industrial velcrose tape it is mounted next to a vent, high for easy viewing. So easy and simple and after 11 months it has not once fallen off

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]
netwrkr9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/30/2012, 11:54 AM   #873 (permalink)

Applied with double stick tape on a 2007 Honda Civic hybrid and powered by an original Palm car charger.
The vent keeps it cool at around 30-35 degrees C.
I have a Mode Switcher Mode for 'Car' that launches BFGMaps.
Old 11/23/2012, 04:34 PM   #874 (permalink)

Hi,

I have been trying to get the touchstone working my car but I am having a bit of a problem.

I have a cigarette power port to USB port adapter, and when I go to charge the phone directly by plugging a micro USB cable from the adapter to the pre 2, it charges just fine. However when I plug the micro-usb (stock pre2) cable into the touchstone and then place the pre2 on it the pre 2 does not charge. Does charging with the touchstone need more juice than by just plugging in the micro USB directly?

I'll check the amperage on the cigarette power port to usb port adapter in a bit and post what it is later tonight.

Thanks for any help.
arasarn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/23/2012, 04:48 PM   #875 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by arasarn View Post
Hi,

I have been trying to get the touchstone working my car but I am having a bit of a problem.

I have a cigarette power port to USB port adapter, and when I go to charge the phone directly by plugging a micro USB cable from the adapter to the pre 2, it charges just fine. However when I plug the micro-usb (stock pre2) cable into the touchstone and then place the pre2 on it the pre 2 does not charge. Does charging with the touchstone need more juice than by just plugging in the micro USB directly?

I'll check the amperage on the cigarette power port to usb port adapter in a bit and post what it is later tonight.

Thanks for any help.
You need 1A of current and the Touchstone needs to detect this. I think something needed to be connected in the data pins of the usb cable.
NuttyBunny is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11/23/2012, 06:38 PM   #876 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by arasarn View Post
Hi,

Thanks for any help.
Its very simple and you don't need to stress about voltage and such. From what I know some chargers will work and some wont. the fix for that is to use the palm branded car charger.

From what I have read, the electronics in some cars are set up in a way that it affects charging through cigarette lighter, when you brake for example. The fix for that is to get an after market 12v outlet from the auto store and run it straight from the battery with a 15A fuse inline. That has two advantages: First you wont have all those wires dangling like if you used the stock lighter, just hide it behind the dash somewhere. And second you wont have to turn the ignition keys like in some cars for it to charge
laingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/21/2013, 04:53 AM   #877 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

Wow, the future is HERE: Charge your phone (wirelessly) in your CAR

*fake yawn* we got that since 2009
Liked by Grabber5.0 and vasekvi like this.
Thanked By: vasekvi
Old 02/03/2014, 04:49 PM   #878 (permalink)

has anyone who has mounted their phone in their car had any problems with the police? Do they pull you over when using the phone for GPS, or Pandora or whatever?
crazybirdman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/03/2014, 04:51 PM   #879 (permalink)

I never did in IL, though I took my mount down for other reasons before coming to CA. (Couldn't keep the TS stuck to the dash the way I did it. )

As long as you use hands free, should be fine (?).
ananimus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/03/2014, 09:12 PM   #880 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazybirdman View Post
has anyone who has mounted their phone in their car had any problems with the police? Do they pull you over when using the phone for GPS, or Pandora or whatever?
some states have laws that nothing can be stuck on a windshield in the drivers view. so some states could have laws about dashboard mounted devices. totally hypocritical since cops have more crap on their dash than anyone.

but my point was simply check for your state's laws as they may vary. should be able to find google results of people's complaints if it happened to them, y'no?
TJs11thPre is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by boovish likes this.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0