Page 43 of 45 FirstFirst ... 333839404142434445 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes
    Global Posts
    164 Global Posts
    Everything I tried failed accept for the original Palm Vehicle Power Charger

Quote Originally Posted by cerenoc View Post
    Hi,

I just got an extra TS for my car. Looking for a charger adapter, I decided to go with Universal Mini USB Car Charger Adapter from Amazon because it was small and really cheap.

Plugged it in, it lights up. Connected to my Pre Plus via cable - everything is great. But when I hook it up to my new TS and plop the Pre on top - nothing. Took the TS home and plugged it into a regular outlet - it works fine.

Is it possible that this "universal" adapter is not supplying enough voltage for the TS to work right? Should I just go with the Palm-brand adapter?
    Thanks for your input.
    FrankenPre2!!!
  2.    #842  
    Read these threads:

http://forums.precentral.net/showthr...70#post1677770

http://forums.precentral.net/showthr...80#post1685380

In addition to supplying a minimum of 1.0 amps (1000 milliamps) output, the adapter you use must be capable of signaling the touchstone. The charger needs to present itself as a "Dedicated Charging Port" to the Touchstone. If t doesnt, there are a couple of hacks you can choose from, either on the cable or on the adapter itself. Be careful though, don't want to cook your Touchstone and your device or burn up your car in the process.
    Last edited by TopTongueBarry; 06/19/2011 at 12:15 AM.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and donít necessarily represent AT&Tís positions, strategies or opinions.
    Not a lot of options for placing the touchstone in the Ibiza. I decided to put it in the little space between the two vents, where it is easy to see and reach. Initially I just put some electric tape on the dash to make it smooth enough for the gecko to hang on to. I'm planning to replace it with some of that 3m velcro stuff.
    I'm using the palm car charger and it's working great so far.

Also, I want to manage the power cable better, but don't know if I want to try and run in inside the dash. Any suggestions? It would be great if it was also easily detachable/reattachable.

I once drove in the evening without a/c (it was about 28C outside) and the pre got to 47C (running navit at 1GHz). When I got home there was something sticky on the screen. I think it melted the fat on the screen (or the phantomskinz itself). I managed to scratch the sticky stuff off.

Another anecdote: I tried using the speakerphone while on the touchstone while driving and although I could hear well the other side didn't hear me at all (just "static"). Maybe it's the vibration.
    I just noticed one issue:

Whenever I operate my headlights, either turn them on or off, it'll cause my charger to jump once. Other than that charging is continuous.

Think this one is more car related.
    Palm IIIc -> Sony CLI… T650C -> Sony TJ-37 -> Palm TX -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre Bell -> Palm Pre Plus Bell/Verizon Hybrid -> HP Veer -> HP Pre 3 NA -> BlackBerry Classic -> BlackBerry Priv

It's a Late Goodbye, such a Late Goodbye.

Need OEM Palm Pre parts? See here
    Just setup my 2002 today.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Quote Originally Posted by compuseum View Post
    For the Ibiza, there are at least three more or less decent looking mounts:
    Thanks, those are interesting options but I think I prefer the clean look of the TS attached directly to the dash.

Any ideas on how to hide the cable while still allowing easy removal?
    Any suggestions for adding some bottom support to a dash-mounted Touchstone? My converted Seidio back holds fairly well with its stronger magnets, but a good jolt will shake it loose. I want just a little support underneath to help keep that from happening. {Jonathan}
    Heavy duty velcro has served me well
    Quote Originally Posted by shopharim View Post
    Heavy duty velcro has served me well
    I have that holding the Touchstone, but it's only the magnets holding the Pre 2 itself. {Jonathan}
    I wish more phones had touchstone like charging devices...
    Global Posts
    541 Global Posts
    the TouchStone likes it's power from the Palm AC/DC converter because of the signal it gets. Get a DC to AC converter, then plug the TS AC plug into that, plug in TouchStone, and now you have the coolest phone holder on the planet.

Alternatively, you could just get a hybrid car or monster truck with an AC outlet in it already, and plug right into that. Works great in my Ford Escape Hybrid!
    Quote Originally Posted by BBooDoc View Post
    the TouchStone likes it's power from the Palm AC/DC converter because of the signal it gets.
    There's nothing really special about the signal from the palm charger. The pins of the usb plug are just connected together in a certain way to let the Touchstone know that charger can provide a 1 Amp current. It's actually pretty easy to mod a 3rd party car charger to make it work with the TS, provided that the charger is easy to open up.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre3 using Forums
    --------------------
    Apps for webOS
    http://www.angrygoatapps.com
    Twitter: angrygoatapps
    Quote Originally Posted by wayne@angrygoat View Post
    There's nothing really special about the signal from the palm charger. The pins of the usb plug are just connected together in a certain way to let the Touchstone know that charger can provide a 1 Amp current. It's actually pretty easy to mod a 3rd party car charger to make it work with the TS, provided that the charger is easy to open up.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre3 using Forums
    Yeah, I have 3 third party chinese "1Amp" chargers, they were modified and the Pre reports the input as 1A, but none can drive the Touchstone. The only one that works for me is the sprint "original" one

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    Just remember: If I helped you, press the thanks button!

Owner of: Pre Sprint, Pre Telcel, Pre Plus AT&T, Pre 2 Unlocked, Pixi Plus AT&T, and 2 TouchPads (my Pre3 was stolen so it won't appear again here).
    Needs: Veer (anyone?)
    Apps: Subnet Calculator, FreeCam, PhotoFun, NuttyPad (work in progress)
    HomeBrew: meta-doctor and Messaging Plugins collaborator
    Twitter: @cesarneg
    Quote Originally Posted by NuttyBunny View Post
    Yeah, I have 3 third party chinese "1Amp" chargers, they were modified and the Pre reports the input as 1A, but none can drive the Touchstone. The only one that works for me is the sprint "original" one

Try this one:
    PowerMini - USB car charger

It's really easy to open up, no glue along the seams (at least the ones I bought were that way)

How did you to mod the charger? I had to short the two middle data pins to the 5v power pin to get the TS to recognize it.

BTW, this is the TS holder I made with those chargers:
    http://forums.precentral.net/webos-s...ml#post2670968
    Last edited by wayne@angrygoat; 08/29/2011 at 07:39 AM.
    --------------------
    Apps for webOS
    Try this one:
    PowerMini - USB car charger

It's really easy to open up, no glue along the seams (at least the ones I bought were that way)

How did you to mod the charger? I had to short the two middle data pins to the 5v power pin to get the TS to recognize it.
    hhmmm... I just shorted the pins to themselves, not to the 5v one. Might try that. Thanks!

Owner of: Pre Sprint, Pre Telcel, Pre Plus AT&T, Pre 2 Unlocked, Pixi Plus AT&T, and 2 TouchPads (my Pre3 was stolen so it won't appear again here).
    I recently used a multimeter on a Pre wall plug charger and a TouchPad wall plug charger.

The Pre charger actually doesn't have a connection between the data pins and the 5v pin, but there is ~144 ohm resistance between the 5V and gnd. I think when I shorted the data pins to the 5V it cause enough of a voltage drop on the 5V line to simulate a 144ohm resistor to gnd.

The Touchpad charger, on the other hand, has a 95 ohm resistance between 5v and gnd and ~123 ohm resistance between the data pins and 5V/gnd
    --------------------
    Apps for webOS
    I recently used a multimeter on a Pre wall plug charger and a TouchPad wall plug charger.

The Pre charger actually doesn't have a connection between the data pins and the 5v pin, but there is ~144 ohm resistance between the 5V and gnd. I think when I shorted the data pins to the 5V it cause enough of a voltage drop on the 5V line to simulate a 144ohm resistor to gnd.

The Touchpad charger, on the other hand, has a 95 ohm resistance between 5v and gnd and ~123 ohm resistance between the data pins and 5V/gnd
    I think I prefer trying the resistor route first :-)

-- Sent from my Palm TouchPad using Forums

Quote Originally Posted by NuttyBunny View Post
    I think I prefer trying the resistor route first :-)

-- Sent from my Palm TouchPad using Forums
    I would have preferred that too, if I had known back then. However, I've been using my mod for almost a year now with no problems. Besides, usb data signals operate in the 3.3v range. The 1.7v increase is pretty weak and should be within the operating limits of the Pre and TS.
    --------------------
    Apps for webOS
    I would have preferred that too, if I had known back then. However, I've been using my mod for almost a year now with no problems. Besides, usb data signals operate in the 3.3v range. The 1.7v increase is pretty weak and should be within the operating limits of the Pre and TS.
    I tried shorting the 3 pins, but nothing. I'll try the resistor route later (I've some things to do first).

Global Posts
    23 Global Posts
    Not sure if they are still available but I walked into an AT&T store about a month ago and picked up 3 palm vehicle chargers for 5 bucks each. Might be worth a shot if you have an AT&T store nearby. Nice thing about the original Palm chargers is that they come with a straight cord that can be easily run behind panels.