Page 42 of 45 FirstFirst ... 32373839404142434445 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes
    Global Posts
    13 Global Posts
    Nice pics guys....I like it.
    "Welcome In My World and Smille"
    Global Posts
    164 Global Posts
    So I know it's worth it for me to come up with a nice clean hardwired solution for my Lincoln Navigator, but in the interest of time, I needed to use a temporary solution. The problem is, I like it so much I'll probably never change.

The outlet for the vehicle charger is conveniently located on the passenger side of the console. The cord runs up through the DVR opening, showing very little:

Supplies are limited to (1) a coffee holder ashtry without the top, turned upside down for a snug fit and (2) heavy duty velcro tape circles:

From my perspective in the driver's seat, it's a simple clean install without all the work:

Last edited by jimhuff; 05/01/2011 at 09:39 AM.
    FrankenPre2!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by ToniCipriani View Post
    It almost sounds like your car needs a better alternator or battery. It's the source not providing enough power.
    Isn't the dingdong whenever you brake a common thing? It's not the first time I read this, and my wife's car does the same thing (a Polo).
    If you attach a voltmeter to your 12V outlet, you will find that the average voltage is actually nearer to 13V~14V, but can drop to 11V or lower when you press on the brakes. Powering up all those lights really puts a strain on the system. So yes, I would expect it to be fairly common that tapping the brakes might cause the charge to stall.

A way to avoid this is to use an AC inverter to power a Palm wall charger to power the Touchstone. This is what I have in my car and I have never had an issue with the charge stalling.
    Touchscreens are a fad.
    Quote Originally Posted by Syndil View Post
    If you attach a voltmeter to your 12V outlet, you will find that the average voltage is actually nearer to 13V~14V, but can drop to 11V or lower when you press on the brakes. Powering up all those lights really puts a strain on the system. So yes, I would expect it to be fairly common that tapping the brakes might cause the charge to stall.

A way to avoid this is to use an AC inverter to power a Palm wall charger to power the Touchstone. This is what I have in my car and I have never had an issue with the charge stalling.
    Alternatively you could try changing your brake light bulbs. There are many LED bulbs on the market that are fairly cheap, and easy to install. They should produce more light but use significantly less power.

My car (a '61 VW bug) had really dim tail lights when I got it, and whenever I hit the brakes everything else that used electricity would have issues. The windshield wipers would even slow down. I installed a nice set of LED bulbs and the problem went away entirely.
    You could do that as well. However, if your lights were dim to begin with, and taking into consideration the age of the vehicle, I would definitely be looking for a ground fault in your electrical system. Unless perhaps that's just how they were back then.
    Touchscreens are a fad.
    Global Posts
    164 Global Posts
    Ok, my temporary cupholder solution was pretty good, but now I'm really pleased.

Since the auxilliary power supply is so conveniently located below the console...

I was able to go behind the panel and graft another one to store behind the panel...

...and run the usb cord behind the dashboard for a nice clean install with less than one inch of cord showing.

The touchstone is placed over the spot previously occupied by a clock of the same size with heavy duty velcro circles.

Last edited by jimhuff; 05/01/2011 at 07:19 PM.
    FrankenPre2!!!
    You could do that as well. However, if your lights were dim to begin with, and taking into consideration the age of the vehicle, I would definitely be looking for a ground fault in your electrical system. Unless perhaps that's just how they were back then.
    In my case the lenses and reflectors where a big part of the problem. The LED lights that I am using included new lenses, and no longer needed the reflector. If I had just replaced the reflector and lenses I could have gotten my lights back to their original state.

If I had done that I would still get a dip in voltage when I hit the brakes though, and it wouldn't be as bright. On a car that old I really appreciate the brighter lights. I want to be sure that I am seen at night.
    Quote Originally Posted by jimhuff View Post
    Ok, my temporary cupholder solution was pretty good, but now I'm really pleased. ...
    Much better looking! Also puts the Pre in a safer spot, so you don't have to look down to view the screen. Very nice.

Also, since you have managed to hide the power outlet you are using for the Touchstone (I hid mine under the dash) you could potentially plug a small inverter into it, and then plug the Palm wall charger into that if you are having an issue with voltage drop. Here is what I have under my dash:

This is looking straight up. It's a lot of junk to have hanging out of a regular outlet, but hidden under the dash, it's fine, and I've never had an issue with voltage drop.
    Touchscreens are a fad.
    Global Posts
    164 Global Posts
    You're right, just looking is distracting enough without also having to look down.

Thanks for the inverter idea, I'll keep it mind if do develop that problem.

Much better looking! Also puts the Pre in a safer spot, so you don't have to look down to view the screen. Very nice.

Also, since you have managed to hide the power outlet you are using for the Touchstone (I hid mine under the dash) you could potentially plug a small inverter into it, and then plug the Palm wall charger into that if you are having an issue with voltage drop...
    FrankenPre2!!!
    I just ordered a touchstone for my Honda Element. I need to figure out how I am going to mount it in the car. There are no good mounting spots so I am probably going to have to use some sort of bracket to make this work.
    I might have one of these around from when I had my Element. Would sell it for $20 shipped. If I can't find it, I can get you a new one for $32.50 shipped. Retail on them is $38.50 shipped. I resell for Proclip.

Quote Originally Posted by kuffcakes View Post
    I just ordered a touchstone for my Honda Element. I need to figure out how I am going to mount it in the car. There are no good mounting spots so I am probably going to have to use some sort of bracket to make this work.
    Quote Originally Posted by crogs571 View Post
    I might have one of these around from when I had my Element. Would sell it for $20 shipped. If I can't find it, I can get you a new one for $32.50 shipped. Retail on them is $38.50 shipped. I resell for Proclip.
    You have a PM.
    Hi,

I just got an extra TS for my car. Looking for a charger adapter, I decided to go with Universal Mini USB Car Charger Adapter from Amazon because it was small and really cheap.

Plugged it in, it lights up. Connected to my Pre Plus via cable - everything is great. But when I hook it up to my new TS and plop the Pre on top - nothing. Took the TS home and plugged it into a regular outlet - it works fine.

Is it possible that this "universal" adapter is not supplying enough voltage for the TS to work right? Should I just go with the Palm-brand adapter?
    Thanks for your input.
    says 700ma in the description. Not enough to work the touchstone. Not worth going cheap when trying to power the TS. You need a 1a or more (1000ma). It's worth it to get something from a known brand and drop the $10 give or take. Amazon has plenty in that price range that will do the trick. I do well with Belkin ones and can usually find a deal on them, like this one.
    Pixi: Sold. Pre: Passed off to another rep. Touchpad: Just a toy until Cloud syncing arrives, and a better doc editor.
    Quote Originally Posted by GuyFromNam View Post
    Isn't the dingdong whenever you brake a common thing? It's not the first time I read this, and my wife's car does the same thing (a Polo).
    Really depends on the car.

My car I have no problems with that. Usually when I hear the chime it's because I accidentally swiped my phone sideways.
    Palm IIIc -> Sony CLIÉ T650C -> Sony TJ-37 -> Palm TX -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre Bell -> Palm Pre Plus Bell/Verizon Hybrid -> HP Veer -> HP Pre 3 NA -> BlackBerry Classic -> BlackBerry Priv

It's a Late Goodbye, such a Late Goodbye.

Need OEM Palm Pre parts? See here
    I have a 2011 Ford Hybrid and they provide a 120V out in the car to charge your laptop. So I just put a regular touchstone on it and stick the touchstone with a couple of 3M. It works, great, took me like 2 minutes.
    If this helped you hit thanks.
    Quote Originally Posted by crogs571 View Post
    says 700ma in the description. Not enough to work the touchstone. Not worth going cheap when trying to power the TS. You need a 1a or more (1000ma). It's worth it to get something from a known brand and drop the $10 give or take. Amazon has plenty in that price range that will do the trick. I do well with Belkin ones and can usually find a deal on them, like this one.
    Ordered the Belkin which looks almost exactly the same and does appear to have the right specs but no luck with that one either. If anything, it was worse and required jiggling of the usb cable to work without the TS. Should have just gone for the orignal Palm one from the start. Just found a page here that lists which ones are/not supported.
    Anyone operate a Veer now with car Touchstone? I saw GuyFromNam's post about how the Veer doesn't work on it. Any problems to report?
    Palm IIIc -> Sony CLIÉ T650C -> Sony TJ-37 -> Palm TX -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre Bell -> Palm Pre Plus Bell/Verizon Hybrid -> HP Veer -> HP Pre 3 NA -> BlackBerry Classic -> BlackBerry Priv

It's a Late Goodbye, such a Late Goodbye.

Need OEM Palm Pre parts? See here
  20.    #840  
    Quote Originally Posted by ToniCipriani View Post
    Anyone operate a Veer now with car Touchstone? I saw GuyFromNam's post about how the Veer doesn't work on it. Any problems to report?
    I've got a Veer and it works fine in all three cars with touchstones installed. Even better than the Pre + and Pre 2 in one of them because I had the intermittent charging on and off problem with that one. It hasn't done that with the Veer, yet ......

P.S. I was able to test a Pre 3 in one of them the other day - and it works fine too! Shhhhssshh ....

I should clarify, it wasn't mine, but someone I know has one ......
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s positions, strategies or opinions.