Page 41 of 45 FirstFirst ... 3136373839404142434445 LastLast
Results 801 to 820 of 883
Like Tree8Likes
  1. #801  
    Here is my touchstone and pre mounted in my 1961 Volkswagen bug. I took apart the touchstone and stuck a bolt through the back. The bolt fits through the grill on the dash.

    Since the dashboard is completely vertical I mounted the touchstone upside down. The cable is visible, but is pretty hard to see.

    I installed a new stereo to go along with the touchstone. It supports A2DP bluetooth audio so I don't have to worry about any cables at all.
    Attached Images Attached Images
  2. #802  
    Has anyone considered the idea of a touchstone hidden behind a panel? It would have to be very thin, and would probably have to be plastic...

    I wonder if it would work though. It would be very nice to have a completely plain looking dash, but have a spot that happens to hold the phone when you place it there.

    It probably wouldn't work though... maybe it is a dumb idea. What do all of you think?
  3. #803  
    I like the idea fwiw
  4. #804  
    Quote Originally Posted by minego View Post
    Has anyone considered the idea of a touchstone hidden behind a panel? It would have to be very thin, and would probably have to be plastic...
    I can get the Touchstone to charge with up to 5 business cards stacked between my Pixi and the Touchstone. However with the 5th card on there, it starts making an intermittent buzzing noise. Considering it's not supposed to make any noise at all, that's probably not good for it. With 4 cards it made a much quieter but constant buzzing noise. Either way, that's still pretty thin. Not sure you'd find any surface that thin (or flat) in a car.

    Also even putting one card in there reduces the amount of force the TS hold onto the phone with, so it might not stay there even if it does charge. I think if you wanted to go that route, the way to do it would be to disassemble the Touchstone completely, and mount the inductive coil and magnets directly to the bottom of the surface you wanted to use.
    Touchscreens are a fad.
  5. #805  
    Quote Originally Posted by Syndil View Post
    I can get the Touchstone to charge with up to 5 business cards stacked between my Pixi and the Touchstone. However with the 5th card on there, it starts making an intermittent buzzing noise. Considering it's not supposed to make any noise at all, that's probably not good for it. With 4 cards it made a much quieter but constant buzzing noise. Either way, that's still pretty thin. Not sure you'd find any surface that thin (or flat) in a car.

    Also even putting one card in there reduces the amount of force the TS hold onto the phone with, so it might not stay there even if it does charge. I think if you wanted to go that route, the way to do it would be to disassemble the Touchstone completely, and mount the inductive coil and magnets directly to the bottom of the surface you wanted to use.
    Yeah, I think you are right about the need to disassemble the touchstone.. If you look at the pictures of my car above you'll see that there are a LOT of flat surfaces. The 2 white grills on either side of the speedometer can be removed. I'm thinking about removing them, and cutting the same shape out of a thin sheet of white plastic. That way I could put the originals back if needed, but I could achieve the original look.

    If I take apart the touchstone and put the mechanism directly behind the plastic then I think it might work.

    My goal is to move my stereo into the glove box, and get an original style radio block off plate. The stereo goes into bluetooth mode automatically, so I wouldn't need to see the front. I can control everything from my phone. If I could pull it off then my dashboard could look completely original.
  6. #806  
    Quote Originally Posted by minego View Post
    The 2 white grills on either side of the speedometer can be removed. I'm thinking about removing them, and cutting the same shape out of a thin sheet of white plastic.
    That seems like it would be a whooooole lot of work to do it right. But hey, go for it.
    Touchscreens are a fad.
  7. #807  
    Quote Originally Posted by Syndil View Post
    That seems like it would be a whooooole lot of work to do it right. But hey, go for it.
    haha, yeah....

    I suppose I should be happy with the setup I have now. It does work very nicely. It would be nice to have my dash look more original though. After all it that is part of the point of driving a 50 year old car.
  8. mrkalel's Avatar
    Posts
    739 Posts
    Global Posts
    821 Global Posts
    #808  
    Decided to take some better quality pics of the Touchstone in my car:

    Flickr: MrKal_El's Photostream


    P4102836 by MrKal_El, on Flickr


    P4102835 by MrKal_El, on Flickr


    P4102833 by MrKal_El, on Flickr


    Floating Pre by MrKal_El, on Flickr


    Floating Pre by MrKal_El, on Flickr
    Follow me on Twitter : MrKal_El
  9. #809  
    OK after last time's failed attempt and got the jumping problem, now it's time for a redux...

    This time with a Palm charger. No more jumping!





    Also a little bonus I got my Palm Pre with 2.1 on it to "Exhibit" a little.
    Palm IIIc -> Sony CLIÉ T650C -> Sony TJ-37 -> Palm TX -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre Bell -> Palm Pre Plus Bell/Verizon Hybrid -> HP Veer -> HP Pre 3 NA -> BlackBerry Classic -> BlackBerry Priv

    It's a Late Goodbye, such a Late Goodbye.

    Need OEM Palm Pre parts? See here
  10. #810  
    Quote Originally Posted by jack87 View Post
    so how well will the sticky stuff work with the extremes; heat and cold the dashboard experienced due to weather conditions.
    The best non-permanent tape I've found is auto trim adhesive. It's cheap, comes in several widths, strong as hell and completely removable. It's available at any auto parts store.
  11. #811  
    Quote Originally Posted by minego View Post
    Has anyone considered the idea of a touchstone hidden behind a panel? It would have to be very thin, and would probably have to be plastic...

    I wonder if it would work though. It would be very nice to have a completely plain looking dash, but have a spot that happens to hold the phone when you place it there.

    It probably wouldn't work though... maybe it is a dumb idea. What do all of you think?
    I did read about beefing up the magnets to hold an extended battery somewhere... You're idea intrigues me.
  12. #812  
    Oooh... beefing up the magnets would be very cool.
  13. #813  
    I have mounted a Touchstone in my car with Velcro and am very pleased with the result. Now I want to make a more elegant and permanent solution for the power adapter and have run into two problems I hope you car hackers can help me with:

    1) How to get reliable contacts for cigarette lighter adapters? I have a total of three chargers that I want to power through a 3-way adapter hidden behind the dashboard, but all of the lighter adapters are notoriously unreliable. It really sucks when my Pre or GPS lose power and I can't reach the adapters to yank them back in place while driving. I see ToniCipriani has solderen power cables directly to the Palm charger, but I don't want to do anything permanent to any of the three adapters I have.

    2) When any lights are turned on (like brake or turn signal), for a moment the Touchstone doesn't get enough power to charge, and the Pre lights up like I removed it from the Touchstone. That's a bit annoying when driving at night. I would like to mount a capacitor to the 3-way adapter mentioned above, but I'm very uncertain of what to buy or how to install it properly. I'm fairly handy with electronics and soldering, I just have no relevant experience with this kind of thing.

    Any suggestions for my two headaches?
  14. #814  
    Quote Originally Posted by Navelfluff View Post
    I have mounted a Touchstone in my car with Velcro and am very pleased with the result. Now I want to make a more elegant and permanent solution for the power adapter and have run into two problems I hope you car hackers can help me with:

    1) How to get reliable contacts for cigarette lighter adapters? I have a total of three chargers that I want to power through a 3-way adapter hidden behind the dashboard, but all of the lighter adapters are notoriously unreliable. It really sucks when my Pre or GPS lose power and I can't reach the adapters to yank them back in place while driving. I see ToniCipriani has solderen power cables directly to the Palm charger, but I don't want to do anything permanent to any of the three adapters I have.

    2) When any lights are turned on (like brake or turn signal), for a moment the Touchstone doesn't get enough power to charge, and the Pre lights up like I removed it from the Touchstone. That's a bit annoying when driving at night. I would like to mount a capacitor to the 3-way adapter mentioned above, but I'm very uncertain of what to buy or how to install it properly. I'm fairly handy with electronics and soldering, I just have no relevant experience with this kind of thing.

    Any suggestions for my two headaches?
    It almost sounds like your car needs a better alternator or battery. It's the source not providing enough power.
    Palm IIIc -> Sony CLIÉ T650C -> Sony TJ-37 -> Palm TX -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre Bell -> Palm Pre Plus Bell/Verizon Hybrid -> HP Veer -> HP Pre 3 NA -> BlackBerry Classic -> BlackBerry Priv

    It's a Late Goodbye, such a Late Goodbye.

    Need OEM Palm Pre parts? See here
  15. #815  
    Quote Originally Posted by ToniCipriani View Post
    It almost sounds like your car needs a better alternator or battery. It's the source not providing enough power.
    In the case of the Touchstone, it also might be that the CLA does not provide enough amperage. For the Touchstone, I would recommend killing two birds with one stone by replacing the Palm CLA with a CLA inverter, and plugging a Palm wall charger into the inverter. That is the solution I have done in my car. While the DC voltage can drop significantly during starting or braking (I can observe this via my radar detector, which has an idle display that shows the car's voltage), the inverter is able to keep enough juice flowing to the wall charger to prevent any loss of power to the Touchstone. Also the Touchstone was originally intended to work only with the Palm wall charger, so I think it's a safer solution, in regards to the life of the Touchstone.

    As for getting other unreliable CLAs to work... If there's no circuitry inside them doing any sort of voltage conversion, they are basically nothing more than contacts on the ends of wires. I say get rid of them entirely and wire your equipment directly to the fuse box.
    Touchscreens are a fad.
  16. #816  
    Thank you for your thoughts! I'll look into the possibilities you mention. I'll check my battery as well.
    Living in Norway, currently owning a Touchpad 32GB that mostly show the clock, a working Pre 3 in a drawer, a dead Pre 3, a dead Pre and a working Palm m515.
  17. #817  
    I have to say my favorite one so far is minego... but that is probably b/c i have a soft spot for beetles. I wish i still had mine
  18. #818  
    Quote Originally Posted by balkeee View Post
    I have to say my favorite one so far is minego... but that is probably b/c i have a soft spot for beetles. I wish i still had mine
    Thanks, I love my bug.

    You can always go buy another one. You can get a decent one for between $2k and $4k usually.
  19. GTMI1's Avatar
    Posts
    40 Posts
    Global Posts
    41 Global Posts
    #819  
    Gotta love the Bug!...The Pre looks good too.


    Quote Originally Posted by minego View Post
    Here is my touchstone and pre mounted in my 1961 Volkswagen bug. I took apart the touchstone and stuck a bolt through the back. The bolt fits through the grill on the dash.

    Since the dashboard is completely vertical I mounted the touchstone upside down. The cable is visible, but is pretty hard to see.

    I installed a new stereo to go along with the touchstone. It supports A2DP bluetooth audio so I don't have to worry about any cables at all.
  20. #820  
    Quote Originally Posted by joshhouse82 View Post
    Whoa, that's a really clean install. Very nice, I like that idea of setting it in the dash.

Posting Permissions