Page 4 of 45 FirstFirst 12345678914 ... LastLast
Like Tree8Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by realistdreamer View Post
    Nick, is the Moto working without the dancing on/off charging? I have an "extra" charger is you like. Actually, I have an "extra" sprint one I had ordered when I got frustrated and bought the Palm.

Nice setup. Any issues looking down while driving?
    No on/off dancing with this setup. The location I picked for the TS is great. The angle the TS puts the Pre at is perfect for viewing and navigating around. As you can see I have a tape deck so I use a cassette adapter for audio. I haven't tried it yet but I am hoping speakerphone works even with the phone all the way down on the console.

The only problem with this setup is 3rd and 5th gear. They tend to block my view of the Pre.
    Palm Vx -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Centro -> Pre (Launch Phone 06/06/09) -> AT&T Pre Plus with Sprint EVDO swap -> Samsung Epic 4G w/ Froyo
    http ://www . bestbuy . com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=9040986&st=car+pocket+adapter&lp=15&type=product&cp=1&id=1218011736471

I used this to install mine and it charges ALOT better than the regular palm adapter. I can't post pics on the site yet but once I can I will post my Scion Tc. It is in place of the cigarette lighter (which was broken after I installed a push button start that I inevitably removed), and fits really well in the slot there. Getting the exact same charge rate as my house touchstone even with music, sprint nav, email, text, bluetooth calls, and any other apps my gf uses to annoy me while I drive.

Oh the adapter is under my center console only the wire comes out the hole, which is actually well hidden when the touchstone is in place. It's like Scion knew the exact right size to cut the hole and even made a nice angle so you could hide the cord.
    Global Posts
    108 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Prasamaccus View Post

I used this to install mine and it charges ALOT better than the regular palm adapter. I can't post pics on the site yet but once I can I will post my Scion Tc. It is in place of the cigarette lighter (which was broken after I installed a push button start that I inevitably removed), and fits really well in the slot there. Getting the exact same charge rate as my house touchstone even with music, sprint nav, email, text, bluetooth calls, and any other apps my gf uses to annoy me while I drive.

Oh the adapter is under my center console only the wire comes out the hole, which is actually well hidden when the touchstone is in place. It's like Scion knew the exact right size to cut the hole and even made a nice angle so you could hide the cord.
    Here is a clickable link Xantrex - 175W Pocket Inverter - 813-0291-07. Looks like a very nice inverter. I might consider getting one, but my oem palm car charger is doing the job so far.
    You guys realize you are going DC to AC to DC again with the inverter? You are better off hardwiring the TS into your car.
    Palm Vx -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Centro -> Pre (Launch Phone 06/06/09) -> AT&T Pre Plus with Sprint EVDO swap -> Samsung Epic 4G w/ Froyo
    Quote Originally Posted by NickDG View Post
    You guys realize you are going DC to AC to DC again with the inverter? You are better off hardwiring the TS into your car.
    I didn't want to make a permanent addition to my car... Also I plug my laptop into the adapter as well. For that I use a short add-on cable that sticks out into my cubbyhole, which I could really just plug anything into because they make an adapter for my adapter (I know back and forth again) that would put a regular plug opening in the cubbyhole.
    I installed a touchstone this weekend in my wife's car. Sooooo expensive, goose neck holder, touchstone, Sprint travel 120v charger and Duracell 80watt inverter. Came out nice though.
    Using my Pre to help run: www.at-peace.net

Sharp Zaurus->HP Jornada->Sony Clie T615->Treo 650 (CDMA)->Treo 755p->Palm Pre (Disappointed) -> Iphone4 (Happy)
    Global Posts
    108 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NickDG View Post
    By hardwiring do you mean hooking the usb cable directly to 12v with no plug? I would consider doing this but I don't want to fry my TS. I got an old usb cable I could cut the end off of and try it but I think the full 12v is too much for the ts.
    I have not seen any literature documenting if the plug end of the chargers limit either voltage and/or current. I assume (and you know what they say), there is some sort of solid state electronics (perhaps just a a resister for LED), otherwise they output wouldn't be limited to 850ma. I did cut open a USB cord finally this weekend; four small but solder-able wires (white, green, red, black) with metal mesh shielding around them. Will plug into power and use volt meter to determine hot/neg, but will most likely not hardwire, worried over current/voltage.
    Using my Pre to help run: www.at-peace.net

Sharp Zaurus->HP Jornada->Sony Clie T615->Treo 650 (CDMA)->Treo 755p->Palm Pre (Disappointed) -> Iphone4 (Happy)
    Global Posts
    101 Global Posts
    There have been a couple of threads on the touchstone in a car and I vaguely remember (I think) seeing a comment about plugging the power cord into the auxiliary source in, for example the arm rest, causing overheating of the power "cord." I have a Sprint-manufactured (and shaved) power unit plugged into the auxiliary outlet in my arm rest and then into my touchstone. Is overheating an issue or concern?

TIA.
    Haven't quite figured out how to clean up the cabling yet, but here's mine in my Tundra.

Last edited by GMoney749; 08/08/2009 at 11:27 AM.
    I am moving mine to a different location in my car. Similar to the BMW setup in this thread.

I will post pics when I am done.
    I just finished my set-up. I took apart the stereo portion of the console (very simple) to run my wires through the dash without having to drill:

For a clean install, I added a new cigarette plug under my dash. I bought a add-a-circuit micro-fuse adapter. You just unplug a fuse, jam the adapter into the fuse spot, and the pigtail off of the adapter lets you wire up a new circuit for anything. I bought a $6 under dash cigarette lighter outlet to hook up. This pic tries ot show it. This is looking from the carpet up under the dash on the driver side:

And another shot showing the dash with the Pre on the Touchstone:

The ONLY thing I don't have is a good USB power supply to charge all this yet!
    Global Posts
    39 Global Posts
    and here is mine again.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Which cable do I need to hardwired the TS into the car? Is there a step by step instruction?
    Global Posts
    250 Global Posts
    I have a problem with the dancing on/off charging. It doesn't happen every time...but more frequently then I would like...

what's the cause or solutions?

sprint charger/Infinity fx35
    Stop using your charger immediately! Try to use chargers that are for the PRE, not just Palm. Check the mA on your charger and check to see if it's rated at 1000mA. If it's 500, you might be killing your phone. For some reason when they designed the chargers for the Pre they aren't the regular charges you use for most micro USB devices.
    Global Posts
    250 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by prodigal27 View Post
    Stop using your charger immediately! Try to use chargers that are for the PRE, not just Palm. Check the mA on your charger and check to see if it's rated at 1000mA. If it's 500, you might be killing your phone. For some reason when they designed the chargers for the Pre they aren't the regular charges you use for most micro USB devices.
    sorry...so there's two different car chargers sprint store sells? One for palm and another for pre but they look same?
    I had my stereo guys clean up some old cables (removed the Sat. radio), and ended up having them wire the car charger (palm for the pre charger with mini usb, etc) into the dash. I used the mount I had for my SIrius radio, and just repurposed it.

Looks nice and clean now.. My stereo guys rock.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by imtravis; 07/10/2009 at 07:30 PM. Reason: Truck is back.
    Quote Originally Posted by dunamis7 View Post
    sorry...so there's two different car chargers sprint store sells? One for palm and another for pre but they look same?
    Yes, there is one that says Sprint, and one that is "Palm Pre" branded. I'm not saying the Sprint one won't work, but it could also be hazardous to the phone/touchstone because of different electric output properties. This was the issue in this thread. In this case, the charger he had was 500mA, instread of the recommended chargers for Pre that are 1000mA.

forums.precentral.net/palm-pre-accessories/188699-warning-sprint-car-charger-killed-my-touchstone.html

I hate to use Apple as an example, but many Iphone users have had very bad experiences with using old Ipod car chargers on their phones (again, less than the recommended mA). Most common side effect is batteries discharging within 30 minutes after a few weeks/months of using the chargers.

We all know that Palm is trying to make a buck by recommending their chargers, but if it helps any the only technical difference I've been able to find is the mA rating. You can still buy the 3rd party stuff, but try to get 1000mA chargers instead of the usual 500.
    500ma won't work with Touchstone or Pre directly as an ac/dc charger. 500ma is USB only option. The only car charger that has been consistent is Sprint for the Pre. Palm's usually works but apparently there are two out there. Motorola usually works, but not always. There are a few others, but I'd stick with these.
Page 4 of 45 FirstFirst 12345678914 ... LastLast