Page 39 of 45 FirstFirst ... 293435363738394041424344 ... LastLast
Like Tree8Likes
    Global Posts
    518 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TheMacs View Post
    3M VHB tape - stuff is amazing. Stupid expensive, but amazing.
    Ok I think I will give this a try! Sounds awesome!
    Ħ╬čųβ£Δ
    Sent from my HTC Evo 4G
    Quote Originally Posted by wayne@angrygoat View Post
    Just a car charger embedded in a polycarbonate plate for the TS to stick to. Sorry about the quality of the photos, I took them with the Pre.
    That is bloody awesome. What kind of charger are you using? It looks like it has a USB pigtail *and* USB ports on the front? Hard to tell through the polycarbonate.
    Quote Originally Posted by Project D View Post
    That is bloody awesome. What kind of charger are you using? It looks like it has a USB pigtail *and* USB ports on the front? Hard to tell through the polycarbonate.
    There no ports in the front. It's a low profile USB charger that's rated for 1 amp. I modified it internally so the TS will recognize it as an appropriate power source. The pig tail is a cheap micro USB cable that I cut up and soldered directly into the charger. I guess if I wanted to I could have cut a slot in the top piece of polycarbonate to allow access to the USB port of the charger.

The brand of the charger is Cygnett. If anyone wants to do any charger mods, I would recommend this cause the casing of the charger is not glued shut, it just snaps together so it's really easy to open up. It was about $13.
    --------------------
    Apps for webOS
    http://www.angrygoatapps.com
    Twitter: angrygoatapps
    Global Posts
    844 Global Posts
    I gotta 02 max and I'm interested in doing this.

1. What tape do I need to get to make it stick to my dashboard?

2. Is it better to route it between the vents/radio?
    Global Posts
    63 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by geeksquadkid View Post
    Im going to try to take my touchstone apart and cut and re glue it so the palm logo is facing the right direction when its mounted upside down. should be possible.
    How did that turn out?
    Question for those who hard-wired the power connections using a dismantled cigarette USB adapter, did you have heat problems with the adapter?

I'm planning to wire mine using an Add-a-Circuit to the ignition power.
    Palm IIIc -> Sony CLIÉ T650C -> Sony TJ-37 -> Palm TX -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre Bell -> Palm Pre Plus Bell/Verizon Hybrid -> HP Veer -> HP Pre 3 NA -> BlackBerry Classic -> BlackBerry Priv

It's a Late Goodbye, such a Late Goodbye.

Need OEM Palm Pre parts? See here
    I get a lot of static when I use the blackberry audio gateway. Help
    So I finally hardwired my Touchstone to my Solstice.

Hardwired to accessory power using gutted out USB adapter and and Add-a-Circuit fuse tap, it shuts off when I turn off the car. It's Gecko-feeted to the center console. No issues except phone sometimes slide off the charger because my arm strucks the Aux cable when I installed it too forward and the Gecko feet isn't 100% secure thanks to the Armor-All the dealer put on the console.

Used an adapter that looked like this one (bought in Hong Kong for HKD $20), no jumping issues so far:

Update: I am now getting jumping issues. Need to order a new adapter then...
    Last edited by ToniCipriani; 01/15/2011 at 09:33 PM.
    Palm IIIc -> Sony CLIÉ T650C -> Sony TJ-37 -> Palm TX -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre Bell -> Palm Pre Plus Bell/Verizon Hybrid -> HP Veer -> HP Pre 3 NA -> BlackBerry Classic -> BlackBerry Priv

Global Posts
    106 Global Posts
    I tried having mine on my dash for a while but it overheats a lot.
    Quote Originally Posted by wayne@angrygoat View Post
    There no ports in the front. It's a low profile USB charger that's rated for 1 amp. I modified it internally so the TS will recognize it as an appropriate power source. The pig tail is a cheap micro USB cable that I cut up and soldered directly into the charger. I guess if I wanted to I could have cut a slot in the top piece of polycarbonate to allow access to the USB port of the charger.

The brand of the charger is Cygnett. If anyone wants to do any charger mods, I would recommend this cause the casing of the charger is not glued shut, it just snaps together so it's really easy to open up. It was about $13.
    Wayne, i wish i had your abilities -- i think among many elegant and awsome solutions in this thread yours stands at least head but maybe head and shoulders above -- congrats --
    -------------------------------------------------------------------
    Rob Chilcott

Twitter @robchilcott
    pre2
    " I am only a stupid electrician after all"

My house is a webOS house
    My pre 2, Touchpad 32g
    Wife Pixi, touchpad 32gb
    Daughter -- my old pre+
    of course my 16 year old son has and droid incredible but i think i remeber finding him on the porch
    I'm planning to get something like this to replace the USB adapter:

LM2596 DC-DC Step Down Low ripple output Power Module - eBay (item 220648404910 end time Jan-30-11 23:13:15 PST)

Solder the output to a USB port and short the data pins. Think it'll work? It provides 3A peak and a steady 2A.

Global Posts
    241 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ToniCipriani View Post
    So I finally hardwired my Touchstone to my Solstice.

Hardwired to accessory power using gutted out USB adapter and and Add-a-Circuit fuse tap, it shuts off when I turn off the car. It's Gecko-feeted to the center console. No issues except phone sometimes slide off the charger because my arm strucks the Aux cable when I installed it too forward and the Gecko feet isn't 100% secure thanks to the Armor-All the dealer put on the console.
    I made a removable TS charger that plugs directly into the power outlet on my Solstice, no cords to worry about and I can take it with me. I'll have to take some pics and post them here.
    I meant to put some photos up ages ago, but never got round to it. Bought a pro-clip for a UK Ford Focus to be mounted the drivers side of the steering wheel. I was going to attach the touchstone to the clip using screws, but when I put the touchstone on the pro-clip to see how it would look, the rubber backing on the touchstone stuck to the pro-clip... and hasn't come off. So I have my Palm Pre mounted vertically on the touchstone, which is mounted the correct way up on a vertical pro-clip, and I have used no adhesives what-so-ever! It's been like that for about 8 months now, and the Pre has NEVER fallen off the touchstone, and the touchstone has never come unstuck. I use bluetooth audio to connect to the stereo and the stereo has hands free calling.

I love my Pre!
    Quote Originally Posted by JTH182 View Post
    I made a removable TS charger that plugs directly into the power outlet on my Solstice, no cords to worry about and I can take it with me. I'll have to take some pics and post them here.
    Well I wanted a permanent solution because I wanted to wire it to my ignition power. Didn't want the Touchstone coil to draw power and drain the battery, don't have to worry about unplugging it.

Quote Originally Posted by ToniCipriani View Post
    Well I wanted a permanent solution because I wanted to wire it to my ignition power. Didn't want the Touchstone coil to draw power and drain the battery, don't have to worry about unplugging it.
    Mine plugs into the AC charger and is left in there. Correct me if I'm wrong, but the touchstone doesn't activate until the phone is put on it, meaning it draws very little power. In anycase, I've never had a flat battery. I wouldn't think it would pull 5W of power constantly, even when the phone isn't on it.
    Originally Posted by geeksquadkid View Post
    Im going to try to take my touchstone apart and cut and re glue it so the palm logo is facing the right direction when its mounted upside down. should be possible.
    I thought about this, but then it kind of grew on me...in fact since my TS says "wlad", and "wlad" is Welsh for 'land' or 'country', it makes me feel 'grounded', adds a little 'spark' to my driving...I think I'll keep it!
    Sent from my slowly diminishing intellect

I'm just a soul who's intentions are good...oh Lord, please don't let me be misunderstood!

Finally got all the stuff to mount my TouchStone (and finally got around to doing it).

First, the components:

Add-on cigarette lighter socket w/ right-angle bracket

"75W" 220V power inverter (purchased from enjoy24hours on eBay)

Arkon adhesive dash mount w/ AMPS plate (cut down with Dremel to match Touchstone profile)

Original Palm wall charger w/ original Palm USB cable

The recipient of said items:

Items as installed:

Click the pic to watch a short video

The view under the dash:

Anyway, not as integrated as some of the others here, but I was fairly pleased. The mount is something I had been using for a long time with a RAM magnetic Power Plate and my Motorola Q, so I was happy I could use it with the Palm. The way the mounting head on it swivels allowed me to mount the TouchStone with the Palm logo facing the proper direction.

The inverter/wall adapter combination isn't the most elegant solution (DC to AC back to DC) but it does work reliably, and as a bonus I can unplug the wall charger from the car and take it inside if I need to charge my Pixi while I'm at a friend's or whatever.

BTW the Palm wall charger I have has a rubber donut around it for stowing the USB cable when not in use. It came with a used Touchstone I purchased on eBay. Has anyone else got one of these donuts or know where to get them?
    Touchscreens are a fad.
    Global Posts
    816 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by geeksquadkid View Post
    I don't recommend this. it is a real pain in the ***
    ...This programming stuff is actually addictive but really hard :/
  19.    #779  
    It's been awhile since I started this thread, and looking back, all I can say is \/\/0\/\/! Over 138,000 views and dozens upon dozens of PreCentral.net members cars tooling down the highway with HP/Palm Touchstone chargers mounted in them and HP/Palm Pre's, Pixi's and Plusses hanging from them. You guys are great innovaters!.

The reason you've found me posting again here is due to the addition of a new device mounted on the dash and console of my 2005 Cadillac CTS.
    The Pre 2 and a Touchstone remain standing by ready for immediate use at any given moment on the dash, however they've now been joined by an HP Slate 500 Car-Puter tablet PC, and I wanted to share some more current pictures.

Enjoy the new photos and take care.

Thanks,
    Barry

http://forum.tabletpcreview.com/hp-s...ures-here.html

Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by TopTongueBarry; 02/27/2011 at 11:04 AM.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s positions, strategies or opinions.
    Global Posts
    81 Global Posts
    Nice stuff Barry, looks very swish! Out of interest, how do you find using Windows 7 on a tablet like that? Given the OS is not reeeeally made for touch (with fingers at least, with the small buttons).

I'm hoping/assuming you don't leave all that kit on display when you leave the car xD