Page 37 of 45 FirstFirst ... 273233343536373839404142 ... LastLast
Like Tree8Likes
    Here are photos of my new setup in my trusty ol' Chevy ('97 Cavalier). I decided not to go the preferred ProClip etc. route up on the dash because I will likely replace the car in the next 6 months or so.

So I wanted a short-term solution and, looking at my dash etc., it was clear there wasn't a spot to just plop down the TS like keldog did above. But, because I'm from Minnesota, looking at the cup holder made me think of.....hockey pucks! (Natch!)

I wasn't sure it would work, but I went ahead and bought two pucks for a buck three eighty anyway, wondering what I would have to do to make one work. (If it didn't work, my teenage boys would make good use of the pucks in a few weeks....I mean, months....)

But BEHOLD! One of the pucks fit perfectly: very snug and will be a bit of work if I ever want to take it out. (NOTE: if you're thinking of trying this, ALL PUCKS ARE NOT CREATED EQUAL! Yep, the second exact same brand of puck would not fit into my cup holder--go figure. But I bought the other one for a friend with a PRE and his cup holder is larger, so he'll have to use duct tape or something to make the puck fit well. But I digress....)

So, anyway, low-tech, cheap solution--just the way I like 'em! My hand rests on the parking brake handle and I can do basic swipes etc. with my forefinger. I can see who is calling with a quick glance, check the Sprint NAV, and look at nude photos of my wife on long car rides....no, wait, I meant nice photos of the kids!)

Much thanks to everyone who turned me on to the Verizon bundle (I have three of them!) and tempted me to get creative with an installation despite my initial confusion and hesitation about chargers (hence my DUMMIES thread).

First photo: stock dash; 2) with hockey puck; 3) hockey puck and TS puck; & 4) final install with beloved PRE.

(Sorry to anyone who already posted this solution--thread is too long to check every post etc.)
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Here is my recent setup, in my 2002 Ford Taurus, using the ProClip Center Mount and tilt/swivel mount:

Front view:

Side view showing mount:

Please note that in the course of attaching the Touchstone to the swivel using these excellent instructions, I managed to snap off the ring surrounding the front of my Touchstone. It turned out to be a blessing in disguise, I think; the exposed metal holds my Pre Plus (with Touchstonemods' Seidio case, including the rare earth magnets) a bit more strongly than it did with the plastic ring on it. {Jonathan}
    Prof. Jonathan I. Ezor
    Writer, PreCentral
    Past Palm Real Reviewer
    @webOSquire on Twitter
    So I want to mount my Pre's Touchstone + Palm Car Charger on my 2009 Hyundai Sonata. I basically want to put it where the Proclip center mount goes (to the left of the clock on the dash) and wire it to the ACC wire. I want to add a cigarette lighter inside the dash to connect to the Touchstone. How do I go about doing this safely?
    Last edited by harrisonp; 09/07/2010 at 01:39 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Workerb33 View Post
    I don't have heat coming out of dashboard vents. it comes out at the feet and the defroster, so there should be no heat issues for my set up.
    I have mine setup in front of a vent.. I suppose this will pose a problem come winter, but I live in Texas so winter really doesn't come for very long. But I really hadn't thought of this problem as of yet, and now since I am remounting my touchstone in front of the vent, I'm wondering if I should move it.. The only thing really keeping me from doing so is that I can run Pandora, with bluetooth on and SprintNav with it actually charging. When I had it charging not in front of an A/C vent I would always leave my car with a hot Pre and my battery level depleted from 90%~ to maybe 70%~ on the charger.

I'll post new pics when I get a chance to remount it, and possibly a solution?
    Global Posts
    541 Global Posts
    Here's a quick pic of mine plugged into 110V AC in my '09 Ford Escape Hybrid. Haven't settled on where to keep it yet though. I'll get some others up when I resize them down.

Shows Pandora playing, over Bluetooth Audio via Ford's Microsoft Sync.
    I have this problem with my auto installation. I use Palm branded cig lighter plug with the touchstone. The cable works in my home with the AC charger.

The auto charger works until I turn on the engine. Then, charging is sporatic, charging/not charging. I suspected the auto wiring. New GMC truck.

Quote Originally Posted by TopTongueBarry View Post
    Re #1 Use exterior mounting tape (the brown stuff) and you might want to supplement with a drop or two of super glue.

#2. Your adapter is not supplying at least 1.0 amps . Either its the adapter or the cabling
    Quote Originally Posted by TopTongueBarry View Post
    The Touchstone uses the latest USB standard for USB power. If an adapter or charger does not comply, ie does not offer D+ and D- shorted or resistive, then the Touchstone will not work. If you use a supported charger, it will work fine. Supported chargers and adapters need to be able to deliver at least 1.0 AMPS of current and the adapter/charger need to be capable of signaling the Touchstone that it has the ability to deliver that much current. If it's manufactured to the latest USB Power standards, it can do that. If not, there is a cable hack located in another thread (Dont use the cable hack if your adapter cannot supply 1.0 amps of current!).

There is a list of chargers and adapters that do work in another thread - BTW 1.0 amps = 1000 milliamps - same amount of current
    Well so far I've just jerry rigged the thing. I unplugged the 12v cable leading to the dash's cigarette adapter. I then plugged in a new cigarette adapter and hid it next to the automatic transmission. I led the car charger up behind the stereo next to the clock. I'm using the palm branded cigarette adapter.

So far it works except there isn't enough amperage really to charge the phone. In fact, when I'm using the microUSB cord and not the inductive charging source (the Touchstone) to charge the phone it barely keeps the phone at the same battery level. When I use the Touchstone, the battery drains as if I'm not even charging at all even though the phone says it's charging. I don't have the slightest clue what to do next.

Here's a picture: twitpic dot com/2m9dqz
    Quote Originally Posted by zealster View Post
    I have mine setup in front of a vent.. I suppose this will pose a problem come winter, but I live in Texas so winter really doesn't come for very long. But I really hadn't thought of this problem as of yet, and now since I am remounting my touchstone in front of the vent, I'm wondering if I should move it.. The only thing really keeping me from doing so is that I can run Pandora, with bluetooth on and SprintNav with it actually charging. When I had it charging not in front of an A/C vent I would always leave my car with a hot Pre and my battery level depleted from 90%~ to maybe 70%~ on the charger.

I'll post new pics when I get a chance to remount it, and possibly a solution?
    My plan is to push heat out of the floor and defrost vents so there is no heat hitting the phone. If it gets hot, I'll put the touchstone back on the shift console. I only moved it up to the vent to keep it in front of the air conditioning vent.
    Run your ad here... reach thousands daily...

...Now accepting orders for my upcoming iHandle™.
    Reserve yours today!
    I have had my Touchstone mounted for the past year in my Grand Cherokee on top of the dash in the middle. (picture to follow when Girlfriend gets home from work). Using the round disk that came with my Magellan GPS from the past, I stuck that on top of my dash because the adhesive on that is super strong and never comes off ( I live in Florida and it is hot as balls here) I applied the touchstone to the disk and it stays perfect. I use a sprint car charger for the power to the Touchstone and it works perfectly. The phone never flys off and it is great for using for GPS.......
    I've been meaning to post these pics for a long time. Quick disclaimer - the spots on the phone are reflected from my windshield, as I keep my Pre clean and shiny at all times (but apparently not my windshield).

That said, I was totally inspired by several who posted great ideas for using Proclip mounts and Move Clips. Since I already had a Proclip for my GPS, I decided to buy the parts to create a way to use it for one or both devices, depending on where I'm driving - because I only use the GPS when I need directions...

So what I did is add an extension plate that is capable of holding two devices. I bought 3 move clips, so that the extension plate can be removed, and so each device can be mounted in three different ways.

Now I have three options:

1. GPS only
    2. Pre on Touchstone only
    3. both GPS and Touchstone

I am loving this set up, and many thanks to the previous posts that had the idea to use the Move Clips to provide flexibility and let me keep the Toushtone out of the sun when parking outside. This set up keeps the phone cool even when I am running google maps and streaming Pandora, and the sun is beaming down on the windshield. That's because it sits in front of a dashboard vent and has a constant flow of cool air behind it.

The only thing I have left to do is to grind the tips off a couple of screws because I used only the screws that came with the Move Clips, and a couple of them poke through just enough to catch on the back piece and make it hard to slide. Right now I just take the plate off so I can do it, but 30 seconds with a Dremel and that will be solved.

Also, I'm not brave enough to try running cables through the dashboard. I also need to be able to take my GPS cable with me as it has a traffic radio built in to it. Both devices are connected to a splitter plugged in to the socket at the bottom of the dash board.

The flexibility of the Move Clips will make it simple to mount the phone down at the bottom where there is a storage slot, in case I need to keep it away from the vent during the winter. Someone here gave me that idea from mounting an angled piece of metal that can reach in to be attached under a shelf. If I do that, I just need one more move clip to mount the phone, and I could even use another Move Clip to attach the metal piece if I was feeling ambitious. Once winter gets here, I'll post back on any changes I make. Let me know if you have any questions after looking at the pictures.
    some additional pictures of the Move Clips. Major thanks to @vegas89134
    in post 663
    for coming up with such a great idea for using Proclip, and especially using Move Clips to overcome issues with heat and sun. Heat is an issue here, but more than that it inspired me to create the mix-and-match solution so I don't have more on my dashboard than I really need.

My next project will be to connect this to my Garmin suction cup mount so I can use this rig in rental cars. Right now I put the GPS on the window, the Pre/Touchstone on the console, and wires everywhere. Once I get this connected to the suction base, I can pull it out of my bag as a single unit. Not because I need to, but because I can.
    Last edited by Cantaffordit; 09/10/2010 at 01:23 PM.
    Global Posts
    343 Global Posts
    Anyone mount their touchstone in a Sequoia? I can't seem to get a big enough, flat surface for the touchstone to actually stick to.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeking View Post
    Anyone mount their touchstone in a Sequoia? I can't seem to get a big enough, flat surface for the touchstone to actually stick to.
    that's the reason for proclipusa.com
    Hey, so I finally got around to taking pictures of my 3 Palm Pre Car Touchstone mounts.

Yeah, you heard me, 3.

Both my parents got the Pre just based on the fact that they saw my Touchstone car mount and wanted one.

So, here is my car mount...in a 2002 Kia Spectra, with a Sony Bluetooth Car Stereo. Its really nice that I can set my Pre down on the Touchstone, and just open Music Remix 2.0 to play music. No fussing with wires or Fm transmitters or anything.

I also use my Pre to check traffic on Google Maps, and use Navit for turn by turn directions.

CIMG0009.jpg

CIMG0011.jpg

CIMG0012.jpg

CIMG0014.jpg

CIMG0015.jpg

CIMG0033.jpg

CIMG0034.jpg

CIMG0036.jpg

Basically I bought a Universal GPS vent mount, and then just sawed off the Garmin ball attachment on it.

Then, I just used some Epoxy resin and attached the touchstone instead.

The nice thing is that my A/C keeps the touchstone and phone nice and cool.

Ill post the next two cars in their own posts.
    Ok, so here is the second touchstone mount I did, for a 2010 Chevy Silverado.

The dash had a lot of real estate, so for this job I just took some Extra Strength 3M two sided adhesive (the stuff for mounting shelves and things on the wall) and I cut it into a circle to cover the entire back of the touchstone.

I also removed the touchstones own adhesive, since this was causing an uneven surface for the 3M stuff to stick to.

My dad has the AGF touchstone compatible case with the slider protectors. He is a contractor and so I didn't trust the Pre to stand up to those conditions. It is so nice though because the extra 'lip' created by the case for the touchstone area makes it really "snap" into place, and feel secure.

(btw the Sprint Chargers you order online have now been 'redesigned' so that they fit into the Touchstone Port without any shaving down the plastic being necessary....coincidence??? Maybe not.)

CIMG0028.jpg

CIMG0029.jpg

CIMG0030.jpg

CIMG0031.jpg
    Ok so the final touchstone car mount is for my mom's Pre in her 2002 Dodge Caravan (yay soccer mom!)

So, I basically did the same install as my dad's truck, so I am not going to post much here.

Sorry for the terrible pics, it was parked in the garage and I was too lazy to move it.

CIMG0038.jpg

CIMG0039.jpg

CIMG0042.jpg

I hope you enjoyed this!! Haha.

Next up will be to add a touchstone car charger for my sisters Palm Pre (yes, all 4 of us have Palm Pres in my family, Ruby you can thank me later)

So, when its all done I will have purchased 8 Touchstones!!! (1 for each persons car, and one for their charger in the house)
    My car setup (08 Maxima). I have the Sprint cover over my pre, so a vertical mount wasn't going to work. I didn't have much room in other areas, so decided to buy a Bracketron Universal Cup Holder mount. It's designed with GPS in mind, but it works great for the Touchstone. Been using it the last couple of days, and it had yet to fall off the charger, even when turning.

Bracketron details can be found here: Universal Cup Holder Mount For GPS Window Mount | Bracketron

Make sure you look at the "where to buy" section, as you can get it a lot cheaper than list. I think mine was around $14 with shipping.
    Global Posts
    164 Global Posts
    I posted this in my own thread before I realized there was an official thread. So here are my pics.

That idea looks really cool to me, but unfortunately I don't own a car anymore :-(
    Just a car charger embedded in a polycarbonate plate for the TS to stick to. Sorry about the quality of the photos, I took them with the Pre.
    --------------------
    Apps for webOS
    http://www.angrygoatapps.com
    Twitter: angrygoatapps