Page 36 of 45 FirstFirst ... 263132333435363738394041 ... LastLast
Like Tree8Likes
    The touchstone isn't wide enough for my old car mount to grip it. Does anyone know of a car mount that can grip the touchstone in place? I just want a simple solution for charging my pre in my car.
    Palm Pro->m505->Zodiac 2->Treo 680->Treo Pro->Pre+
    Guys, I hope you don't mind my interuption, but have you seen the 9.99 deal for touchstone and a car charger? it's awesome.

Also, while I'm at it, just one spelling fauxpaux bugs me. That's the word ALOT... or should I say, non-word? A LOT is the term for "quite a few" and allot means to assign.
    There is no word "ALOT" -

Sorry, I just can't let it go. I see it too much! And it bugs my "A LOT!"
    Quote Originally Posted by Rawandvital View Post
    Here's my plan of action...

You mount the touchstone onto the car dash somewhere. A lot of people in this thread have already been doing that. So this shouldn't be an issue. The issue is sticking the Pre to the touchstone WHILE having the Seidio Innocase on the Pre. Magnet isn't strong enough... What to do, what to do.

I'm going to buy a clip. There are a couple different versions out there. I'm talking about the clip case type of accessory. Seidio makes a nice one. Something similar to that!

From there I would measure the diameter of the touchstone and very carefully cut the back of the clip case matching the size! So now you have a hole on the back of your clip case, right? A hole that the Touchstone can slide in an out of if needed. So now the trick is getting the clip case rigged on the touchstone in a way to where it will stay and not fall off. You can get liquid cement for this. There are a ton of products at hardware stores. You can get some kind of clear chalk or heck, the cheapo way using a hot glue gun might work if you take that route.

So now you have the clip case with a hole in the back, right? The touchstone is slid into that hole and is flush. So basically where the hole is on the back of the clip case, the touchstone now fills in that hole, but it must be flush. Bingo!!!

SO now when you set your Pre inside the Clip Case and clip it in, the magnetic back part of the Pre is lined up perfectly with the touchstone is.

Get in the car, pop the Pre in the Clip Case mounted on the touchstone. The magnetic back lines up with the touchstone and bingo. It's secure, with the Seidio case and is charging....

That's my plan. Make sense?
    Here, excuse the crappy pic. We only have paint at work! haha
    *might be hard to read the text on the pic, but it says, the touchstone is flush against the back. Almost like it's an inlay.

Attachment 21860
    why not just buy the $20 case VZW sells with the hole precut?
    Quote Originally Posted by gmanvbva View Post
    Nurgling provided you some of the best answers you are going to get without solid bench testing.

Voltage is determined by the source (charger). Amperage (current draw) is determined by the load (Touchstone) and not the charger (but can and should be limited by the charger). A charger spec'd at 5v 1A (or 1000mA) will supply up to 1A (dependent on the load). This is the reason you could charge your Bluetooth devices with the same 1A charger even though they come with (and require) only a .2A (200mA) charger. The Bluetooth device should determine the load and current draw. Without the current limiting however, it would be possible (but very unlikely) to damage the device.

He is also correct that manufacturers rate their chargers (and inverters) differently. They sometimes only provide the top (peak) spec's for limited periods of time and are truly designed to operate at about 80% - 90% of that.

As far as how they are built... I believe, most 5v chargers use a combination of capacitors, resistors and voltage (shunt) regulators (which are diodes/transistors). Very simple circuitry.

Edit: Here is a simple example.

Voltage regulator - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    You are almost right. Most small power adapter use something like the LM7805 5V voltage converter. the 7805 will provive 5 v out with 10-18v input [depending] The 1A version will supply up to 1A. Either way, there are two things that people are saying that are either false or misleading.
    1. The touchstone will draw too much current and overheat. while this is technically not correct, the unit could overheat. But it will no draw more current then the adapter will give, it's the adapter that may overheat.
    2. Normal failure of a 7805 is an open, not a short. it will likely overheat until failure and then act as a fuse. Also, most of these adapters contain fuses that will "act as a fuse" well before that happens. The chance of a catastrophic failure and fire is almost nill with a stock car adapter.
    3. It is true that 12V will do craze bad things to a 5V device. Don't do it.
    But, I also don't recommend hard wiring a ciggy adapter to power. instead, get a Project box and create your own adapter with proper components and fusing.

BTW - it looks like HP is moving all the Palm stuff to their site.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gadetman99 View Post
    What a gal! Looks like you are pretty handy with gadgets
    Quote Originally Posted by sewswedish View Post
    I wanted to use my Touchstone in my car yet have it portable to also use in my office without constantly removing it and compromising the stickiness of the Touchstone (or buying a THIRD one - have one by my bed already). So I mounted the Touchstone on a flat disc which I attached to a plastic cup with sticky back Velcro. Also have Velcro on my desk at work. I just transfer the disk w/the Touchstone on it (and the data cable) from car to office. I keep an additional power adapter in the office and just connect the cable to that and plug it in to the wall. I don't have a lot of room in my Saab to place the Touchstone, which is why I decided to use the plastic cup (I filled it with gravel to weight it down). This way I can put it in the retractable cup holder which is in the dash and not do anything permanent to my car. Plus, I can use it in a rental car cup holder! I know it looks ******** and like a blonde made it (yes, I am), but it works for me! Pictures don't show it, but I just bought a 120V DC to AC inverter with a USB power port to power the Touchstone in my car. Does anyone know if this will be safer to use than a car charger? It says it converts DC power from any 12V vehicle power outlet to 120 VAC household power at up to 200 Watts continuous and 400 Watts peak. I don't really know much about HOW this stuff works, I just want it TO work, without messing up my Pre or Touchstone. I would appreciate any feedback.

may be a little late, but I have to wonder why you'r egoing from 12Vdc to 120Vac to 5Vdc? why not just go from 12 to 5 DC? there are plenty of adapters out there that are sufficiant.
    Global Posts
    10 Global Posts
    Love the idea but I don't want to destroy my interior. they use super glue on these things. anyone try to get it off later?
    O.K., sorry I've been so slow to get on board with the Touchstone-In-The-Car concept. I've had the PRE for a year, so kinda embarrassing....

Anyway, there are something like 35 pages in this thread, so please forgive me for asking for a primer on how to do this.

Questions:

*Has a consensus developed on how to convert a standard car charger so it can plug into a Touchstone that will be mounted somewhere in a car?

*What is the best way for a non-electrician or non-handy guy with electricity and amps n' such to do this? I mean, I do know how to use tools and I can follow directions, but I sure don't want to mess with electricity (and risk screwing up the phone or car system or whatever) without first getting expert guidance!

I don't have to have an optimal mounting solution as far as having the Touchstone mounted up near the dash or steering wheel area like I've seen in some pictures, but it would be nice! Therefore,

*What solutions are best for mounting the Touchstone on the dashboard once you've figured out the power supply problem?

Thank you for being patient with a new guy to the thread. I drive around all day seeing clients, and having this set up would simply be....oh, man, I'd ***** my pants!
    My latest iteration in my Saturn L300:

I went this way after realizing:

1. I gesture better with my left hand; and
    2. Where the local WalMart keeps the auto accessories (7.99 for the gooseneck grip with suction cup)
    Global Posts
    27 Global Posts
    I took a different approach. I wanted the touchstone hard-wired but I did not need to look at it since the car displays all the information from the phone on the head unit and everything is voice dialed. I also did not want any loose wires or take up any existing 12v ports. I wired up another 12V socket under the console and tapped into the existing wires for power. I had to belt sand down the micro USB side of the cable to allow the cable to bend at 90 degrees down as soon as it left the touchstone. I also had to boost the touchstone up so the phone cleared the edge of the console when it was on the stone. I used a 1/4" thick piece of plexiglass and sanded it down to a circle the size of the touchstone. If I did not boost up the touchstone, the bottom of the phone hit the edge of the console and it did not make magnetic contact with the stone. The black shiny mat is a sticky pad so nothing moves around when taking hard corners.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by PreAaronr; 08/14/2010 at 03:33 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by parrim View Post
    Love the idea but I don't want to destroy my interior. they use super glue on these things. anyone try to get it off later?
    I agree with you, but I'm thinking of a new idea based on one of these devices from shopharim's post:

Quote Originally Posted by shopharim View Post
    My latest iteration in my Saturn L300:

I went this way after realizing:

1. I gesture better with my left hand; and
    2. Where the local WalMart keeps the auto accessories (7.99 for the gooseneck grip with suction cup)

shopharim - Will that suction stick to the vinyl interior of your car? Like the side of the center console or your dashboard? I'm thinking of getting something like that and making the arm reach around from the passengers side of my console and scrapping the stuff I had before, I just want something that will be a bit cleaner. I HATE Wal-Mart with a passion, but to save $15 on something like that, I may need to get that thing :/
    [QUOTE=kuruptlon;2600762]
    Quote Originally Posted by ericlf View Post

Unfortunately I dont think they are offering that deal anymore I can't find anything about it on their website.
    if you look under bundles, you will see it offered still.
    FliedLice,

I haven't tried it on the vinyl. However the gooseneck came with a plastic disk with 3M adhesive on the back. That disk is supposed to be placed on the dash, providing a smooth service for the suction cup.
    [QUOTE=Workerb33;2609210]
    Quote Originally Posted by kuruptlon View Post

if you look under bundles, you will see it offered still.
    Link please?

EDIT: http://www.verizonwireless.com/b2c/s...e&phoneId=5129
    Last edited by swieder; 08/15/2010 at 09:18 PM.
    Pilot 5K->Palm IIIc->Tungsten T/T2->Treo 650/680 -> Pre+ (1.4.5 & Uberkernel)
    '04 VW Touareg

Pilot 1000=>Pilot 5000=>Palm IIIx=>Palm Vx=>Palm 505m=>Treo 600=>Treo 650=>Treo 700wx=>Treo 755p=>Palm Pre=>Palm Pre 2
    anyone with a vent setup have any heating issues come winter?
    Quote Originally Posted by VickMackey View Post
    I got the ultimate setup finally. Blackberry gateway is ****ing awesome with the touchstone!!! Audiophile approved for sure. I'll put some pix up soon.
    I have a bb gateway, too. The only thing I don't like about it is that the Pre is not able to connect to two bluetooth devices at the same time. I have a handsfree system in my car that only has the headset profile, while the bberry only has the A2DP profile. Previous phones would let me connect to both and would switch off of A2DP if a phone call came in.
    Twitter: dullgeek
    Quote Originally Posted by mu7efcer View Post
    I have a bb gateway, too. The only thing I don't like about it is that the Pre is not able to connect to two bluetooth devices at the same time. I have a handsfree system in my car that only has the headset profile, while the bberry only has the A2DP profile. Previous phones would let me connect to both and would switch off of A2DP if a phone call came in.
    it is a slight drawback, but the fact that it works so well and syncs when the car starts is brilliant. I have a BT headset, when a call comes in, I just double tap the answer key, the first to connect and the second to answer, works flawlessly
    Quote Originally Posted by sparkstsa View Post
    Touchstone charger
    Palm car charger
    Monster iSoniTalk Microphone Headphone adapter
    The Monster iSoniTalk headphone adapter is a great find and just what I need when I'm not using Bluetooth. Thanks! Sorli...
    Global Posts
    258 Global Posts
    Just a couple photos of my setup in my 08 Escape. I used the recent Verizon bundle, and it seems to work great.

Quote Originally Posted by VickMackey View Post
    anyone with a vent setup have any heating issues come winter?
    I don't have heat coming out of dashboard vents. it comes out at the feet and the defroster, so there should be no heat issues for my set up.