Page 35 of 45 FirstFirst ... 253031323334353637383940 ... LastLast
Like Tree8Likes
    I'm have technical problems, searched and hope this might be the best place to ask for help.

I'm trying to set up Touchstone in car, using original Palm USB cable.

I have tried to cigarette lighter/usb adapters, neither one is chargine the Touchstone, meaning the phone isn't charging.

They are working on Hubby's ITouch, so there is juice. Does the Touchstone
    required a given amount of voltage, or something, to operate vs ITouch. Would
    love to have it work.
    The touchstone needs 1 amp. The cigarette lighter adapter you are using may not be providing the 1 amp you need.

The ipod Touch may not require 1 amp to charge.

I posted how I got my touchstone installed earlier in this thread . It includes a list of materials and step-by-step instructions.
    awesome!!!!
    Thanks for the quick reply. While I was "searching", I found the Seido Pre Palm cigarette lighter adapter with USB port. $19.95 plus shipping. It even states compatible with Touchstone, so if this doesn't work, nothing will!!! And its returnable vs items from China
    on Ebay, what a deal.

I pushed the Thanks button.
    Quote Originally Posted by nmoreman View Post
    Thanks for the quick reply. While I was "searching", I found the Seido Pre Palm cigarette lighter adapter with USB port. $19.95 plus shipping. It even states compatible with Touchstone, so if this doesn't work, nothing will!!! And its returnable vs items from China
    on Ebay, what a deal.

I pushed the Thanks button.
    The Palm 3453WW Auto Adapter I purchased for $19.99 is now available for $19.03 + Free Shipping.
    Buy.com - Palm 3453WW Auto Adapter
    Quick shots of mine in my '91 Accord. I bought the vent mount from expansys.com for a measly $1 . It came with a "button" that I put on the center of the TS using doublesided tape (also included), and then it slides into a slot on the vent mount. Haven't actually tried driving with it, but sitting in the driveway with just the vent blowing (not a/c), I saw consistent 37* running Pandora, Messenger, Google Maps, and 800MHz fixed. Reason I wanted a vent mount was the temps have been crazy here (high 90's all day, and I have a black dash, so it soaks it all up), and I was afraid of torchin my Pre. I doubt it will with this setup . Only downside is the TS can rotate on that button, but once the phone's on it, it's weighted down enough not too. Might find a fix for that if it's annoying
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Bag of Leaves View Post
    What did your wife hate about the Touchstone? Or was it the Pre/Pixi she didn't like?
    Just didn't think the connection was good enough. I have changed the look to where the touchstone is hidden when not in use. Will take new pics.
    http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo...8?source=mmail

I wanted some sturdiness so I forked over $20 for the vent mount. I had to use small zip ties to keep it attached to my vent, but it's damn secure. I'm in a jeep so it's real bumpy and I couldn't risk just mounting the TC to the vent. The angle would have been tricky. This way it's solid, hold my TC just by placing it upside-down on the bottom prongs, and the phone magnetizes in place with a little extra grip on the top for solidarity. I've run the aux cord up top and around my dash so it's not too noticeable. Way better setup than previous. I had it on my dash and it would overheat 5 minutes into Pandora.
    Last edited by Strikerage; 07/07/2010 at 04:40 PM.
    I got the ultimate setup finally. Blackberry gateway is ****ing awesome with the touchstone!!! Audiophile approved for sure. I'll put some pix up soon.
    I used mu7efcer's idea. Bought the Bracketron clip off amazon for $10 and an additional Touchstone and Verizon car charger off the Verizon for $20. I didn't want to do any real mounting because I drive a lease. Also I like having the phone in front of a vent so the A/C can keep the TC cool (though just now as typing I realized I didn't think about the heat in the winter). So far it works great, holds the Pre nicely and angle is adjustable. I put one in my car and my wife's car. Plus the Verizon car charger has a second USB slot so when we are together we can both charge our charges at the same time. I love the straight to speakerphone on TC in the car, and now the Pre really replaces my GPS.
    Cleaned up my Touchstone car install for my Starion a bit. I didn't like how the Palm USB plug stuck out of the top of the Touchstone base, so I ordered a Motorola right-angle MicroUSB adapter, and notched out the USB opening in the Touchstone to accept the right-angle adapter. I also mounted the stalk to the gauge hood for a cleaner install.

Original install:

The adapter (stock pic):

Touchstone modified:

Pre in action:

Next step is to hard-wire the Touchstone power.
    Global Posts
    111 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DryBear View Post
    Cleaned up my Touchstone car install for my Starion a bit. I didn't like how the Palm USB plug stuck out of the top of the Touchstone base, so I ordered a Motorola right-angle MicroUSB adapter, and notched out the USB opening in the Touchstone to accept the right-angle adapter. I also mounted the stalk to the gauge hood for a cleaner install.

The adapter (stock pic):

Touchstone modified:
    I am doing something similar to this with a mini to micro adapter. the micro side of the adapter had a plastic casing that easily came off. I shorted the white and green wires inside the adapter exposed by the casing for quick charging, and will using Sugru to form a new covering for the tip. I just did the wire shorting, and a drop of liquid electrical tape is drying before I take it out to test on my cig lighter adapter to see if it will pull the full amp the charger is rated for.
  13. kbo
    Global Posts
    59 Global Posts
    This is cool! I was researching car mounts for the pre plus that I will be picking up this week, then stumbled upon this thread. Now I have to find a good spot to mount a touchstone in my car
    So what i have here is the blackberry gateway bluetooth adapter that jacks into my car's built in Aux input, Touchstone (9.97 shipped from VZW) mounted on an old device vent mounter with the hooks shaved down and official Palm car charger. All i have to say is i have a new appreciation for this phone. I just stick it on the touchstone...when i turn the ignition the Pre automatically syncs with my Blackberry gateway for FLAWLESS sound. Outstanding. I would recommend the Blackberry gateway to any Pre owner with a car mounted touchstone.
    Global Posts
    168 Global Posts
    I have noticed that when my car gets very hot (gotta love living in the South), my Touchstone and Pre will start charge cycling. To prevent this from happening, I have to cut the power to the Touchstone till it cools off inside car.

I installed my Touchstone inside some wood (my old Treo 755p mount), covered with Vinyl with an old, modified, Treo 755p ProClip holder. I made the custom made the console to hold my mobile public safety radios, that includes 3 hand held radio holders, along with the phone mount. I did have power cable going out of console and plugged into power port but needed those power ports for other things. So wired in a new power port inside the console and installed a power kill switch on side of console so I can kill power when it is very hot and charging cycle starts and stops on Pre. That way I can leave Pre in holder while in car till it cools down enough to turn power back on. I can't have the Pre just held by magnets due to bumpy roads I drive on (installed in Expedition).

Any ideas on why heat effects the touchstone so much? It is out of the sun but temp inside car can get over 110F during the day. (photo was posted a while ago in post 593 but attached here, before I wired in power port under console, with the power kill switch). Purple circle is where Touchstone is under vinyl.
    Global Posts
    63 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by crawfpm View Post
    Any ideas on why heat effects the touchstone so much?
    Simple physics. Electrical resistance increases with temperature. The TS doesn't like it when its fed less than the 5V/1A it was designed for.

I'm powering my TS with a DC/DC converter that's more robust than a cigarette lighter adapter and I've never had the on/off dance. Heat is still a problem. Being in Houston, if my car has been in the sun for any period of time I will get a temperature warning within a couple of minutes. For anyone thinking about putting a TS in a car (or if you've done it already,) you really need to install the Temperature Warning patch.
    Can anyone tell me if this USB car charger outlet will work with the touchstone charger? I would like to hook my iPod and Touchstone charger up at the same time.

Amazon.com: Belkin Dual USB Car Charger for iPod (Black): Electronics

FYI I would be using the Palm Micro USB cable.
    Global Posts
    59 Global Posts
    [QUOTE=kuruptlon;2597751]Can anyone tell me if this USB car charger outlet will work with the touchstone charger? I would like to hook my iPod and Touchstone charger up at the same time.

You should order the $9.99 Verizon Touchstone/Vehicle Charger bundle. The charger charges both the Touchstone and my wife's IPhone in my car.
    do you need to check that they'll put out 1 amp when charging two devices? Some of the dual chargers are 1 amp chargers, but they'll drop to a 1/2 amp when charging two devices at once.

The Verizon one is a standard car charger with the added USB port, unlike the dual outlet chargers. I believe the car charger portion of the Verizon one is separate of the outlet.
    Pixi: Sold. Pre: Passed off to another rep. Touchpad: Just a toy until Cloud syncing arrives, and a better doc editor.
    [QUOTE=ericlf;2597787]
    Quote Originally Posted by kuruptlon View Post
    Can anyone tell me if this USB car charger outlet will work with the touchstone charger? I would like to hook my iPod and Touchstone charger up at the same time.

You should order the $9.99 Verizon Touchstone/Vehicle Charger bundle. The charger charges both the Touchstone and my wife's IPhone in my car.
    Unfortunately I dont think they are offering that deal anymore I can't find anything about it on their website.