Page 34 of 45 FirstFirst ... 24293031323334353637383944 ... LastLast
Like Tree8Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by FliedLice View Post
    I then painted it with Plasti-Dip (the best stuff you've never heard of)
    Nope, sorry, I've not only heard of it, but have used it.

(I can watch Sportscenter easily on the way home from work now, horray! ).
    You might want to check the laws in your area, as I know watching TV while driving is illegal in many places. Of course, even if it isn't illegal, it is dangerous! A salesman at one of the car dealerships I take my car to once told me about some guy who somehow modified the built-in DVD player to play on the front dash screen while the car is in motion (it is made to only play on the back screens unless the car is in Park) - he ended up totaling the car because he was watching something while driving (I don't recall if he was killed or not). Don't do it, for the safety of everyone on the road and in your car.
    Not sure why the tags got screwed up on my original post, but pictures are back.

My one week review: Pretty awesome. Enjoying this a lot and its making life a lot easier not having to hop in the car and plug everything in. Phone is in full view and I'm actually kind of excited to be the DD for a night to show it off. The bluetooth device works really awesome, its unfortunate it doesn't have a car charger but for using it for a few days it seems to hold a charge for a long time. And for $13 you can't beat it. I just don't keep it on all the time. I need more time to play with it, but once I do I'll post something in the bluetooth forum since it seems nobody else has mentioned it.

One unfortunate finding is that the heat of the sun is causing the mounting tape in between the TS and the bracket isn't holding sometimes. Is there some kind of high temperature material I can get to hold it? Its only fallen off once and went back on easily, but I just went out to grab the bluetooth to charge it and it had fallen off.

All in all, this thing is great. My drive to work is a measly 10 minutes but its nice to have something so convenient. Plus, I'm starting to think of not doing a carputer and saving the money to build a better HTPC instead. The Pre can allow me to do just about everything I would want anyway, minus OBD-II integration. Someone needs to get working on an app that can work with the bluetooth OBD-II adapters, stat!

Quote Originally Posted by Bag of Leaves View Post
    Nope, sorry, I've not only heard of it, but have used it.

You might want to check the laws in your area, as I know watching TV while driving is illegal in many places. Of course, even if it isn't illegal, it is dangerous! A salesman at one of the car dealerships I take my car to once told me about some guy who somehow modified the built-in DVD player to play on the front dash screen while the car is in motion (it is made to only play on the back screens unless the car is in Park) - he ended up totaling the car because he was watching something while driving (I don't recall if he was killed or not). Don't do it, for the safety of everyone on the road and in your car.

Awesome, Plastidip is the illest.

Yeah, I'm not concerned about all that. I was just joking, like I said, my drive to work is 10 minutes. If I can't wait that long, something is wrong. The rest of the people in my car can decide if they want to watch something. The best thing is also being able to stream YouTube videos as well. I have some music videos loaded on there, but it would also be nice to be able to run other videos as well. I kinda just want someone to drive me around so I can play on my Pre :P
    One unfortunate finding is that the heat of the sun is causing the mounting tape in between the TS and the bracket isn't holding sometimes. Is there some kind of high temperature material I can get to hold it? Its only fallen off once and went back on easily, but I just went out to grab the bluetooth to charge it and it had fallen off.
    Try that super-strength Velcro that is used to hold electronic toll passes and electronic gated community passes to the windshield. Somebody posted a link to where you can buy the stuff earlier in this thread. While a Touchstone with Pre/Pixi is heavier than an electronic pass box, I've not had one of those boxes fall of my windshield and when I got a new car so had to have the gate pass replaced, it took scraping to get the thing off.

Yeah, I'm not concerned about all that. I was just joking, like I said, my drive to work is 10 minutes. If I can't wait that long, something is wrong. The rest of the people in my car can decide if they want to watch something. The best thing is also being able to stream YouTube videos as well. I have some music videos loaded on there, but it would also be nice to be able to run other videos as well. I kinda just want someone to drive me around so I can play on my Pre :P
    Good, glad you're not doing that!!
    Quote Originally Posted by viperx100 View Post
    This is my recent setup in my 2000 Honda Prelude. I have a friend who works at Myer Emco who did my whole sound setup. I have MBQuarts, Kicker, Boston Acoustics, etc. So he did a custom panel for the touchstone. There was a clock where it sits now. Then he wired it in the back with the Motorola SPN5400a behind the panel which leaves me a spot for another plug-in if need be. He ran the auxiliary line-in wire through the AC vent. I think that it looks pretty damn good. Definitely got a ******** grin on my face when I saw it for the first time. What do you guys think?
    I love the way you mounted your TS. I have an Accord and I plan to do the exact same thing for mounting, though I'm going to hard-wire it to the car through a DC-DC converter (Meanwell SD-15A-5) instead of using car charger. I do have one question for you: it looks like your stereo is Bluetooth-enabled; why do you connect your Pre via aux-in instead of Bluetooth?
    "If you think a weakness can be turned into a strength, I hate to tell you this, but that's another weakness." - Jack Handey
    Quote Originally Posted by aliatgb View Post
    Anyone else having a problem with the hot summer heat causing the sticky part of the Velcro tape to fail? My touchstone keeps sliding down my dash from its own weight and the weakened glue.
    Yes, this is a BIG problem for me here in Fla! I have had this happen twice...first with the adhesive that comes on the Touchstone that keeps the gecko-foot thing on, and then again when I used heavy duty velcro. I ended up using Turpentine and Rubbing alcohol to remove the sticky back from all surfaces. Then I used a plastic epoxy that resists heat up to 200F. I scuffed the surfaces a bit to increase adhesion. So far, its lasted over a week!

---
    BTW, I cant remember the member who can save me on a Proclip mount...I need another one. PM me if you are reading this and you are that member.
    Treo 300->Treo 600->Treo 650->Treo 700p-> Palm Pre-> Samsung Galaxy S II Epic 4G Touch (32GB Launch-day Touchpad sustains my webOS need for now)
    Global Posts
    281 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BMIC50 View Post
    Yes, this is a BIG problem for me here in Fla! I have had this happen twice...first with the adhesive that comes on the Touchstone that keeps the gecko-foot thing on, and then again when I used heavy duty velcro. I ended up using Turpentine and Rubbing alcohol to remove the sticky back from all surfaces. Then I used a plastic epoxy that resists heat up to 200F. I scuffed the surfaces a bit to increase adhesion. So far, its lasted over a week!

---
    BTW, I cant remember the member who can save me on a Proclip mount...I need another one. PM me if you are reading this and you are that member.
    His handle is Crogs571. Good guy, I've bought two Proclips from him....
    Global Posts
    76 Global Posts
    this is good news - I thought about doing this but did not think the magnets would be strong enough - thanks for the info, cool to see all the mod photos...
    Robert @ Mobile Cash Quest
    Your shot @ $5,000 is just a FREE App Away!
    Mobile Cash Quest - Scavenger Hunt for Palm Phones where you race other Palm owners for real prizes!
    Quote Originally Posted by IBM4VT View Post
    I mounted mine in my 09 Honda Civic. Nothing very complicated or original. Palm car charger, Touchstone, ProClip Civic mount. Maybe one day I'll look into running the wire into the dash and such but for now this works just fine and isn't too cluttered.
    How is the strenght of the magnet with the touchstone mounted that way? I have the same car.
    Quote Originally Posted by mu7efcer View Post
    I picked up a bracketron universal vent mount from RatShack for $20.

Here's how it looks.

I'm using the gripper part of the mount to hold the stone. And I've got the mount connected to a vent to help cool the Pre. When using navigation and pandora and streaming it over bluetooth, my Pre would reach CPU & Battery temps in the mid to high 50's C!!! Now that it's mounted in front of the vent, the whole thing runs with temps in the low 30's C.

Thanks to pastorrich1 for the idea to use the bracketron mount

Thanks for posting this, I considerd using my left vent and routing the cable under. This would allow me to avoid purchasing a costly Proclip Mount.
    Anyone Using the blackberry gateway? if so how is the audio quality? is it anywhere close to CD quality? I'm looking for the ultimate wireless setup. Touchstone + Blackberry Gateway = Pure Win
    Global Posts
    22 Global Posts
    Here is my 'install'.

I kept thinking about an aluminum bracket that would clip into the vents and hang in front of the CD slot. Then I actually took the TS, rested it on the console, and it just sticks! In the second picture you can see that it overhangs the ash tray in the back and the parking brake switch detent in the front. I'd say about 2/3 of the surface area is touching the console, which is slightly curved. But it has never moved! I set it on there angled so it faces me. Just need to get a 6" USB cable.

I have noticed the Pre heats up very quickly when charging; it doesn't heat up much when I disconnect the charger. The only thing I can think of is that the constant vibration subtly changes the induction connection, and thus the current going into the Pre, which makes the circuitry work harder and overheat. I'm using the Palm branded DC adapter.

Any ideas?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Global Posts
    258 Global Posts
    Hey Mageus,

Just wondering what your setup was for power (make, model, etc). I'm looking for a non-springy / recoil cord so I can hide the cables and it's much easier to hide a straight cord than the coiled..

Thanks!
    hey guys - just got my touchstone and i'm amazed and loving the gecko feet! couple questions- does anyone rely solely on the gecko feet on the dash? if not do you use velcro tape right on the gecko pad? i've searched and seen many people have taken the gecko foot pad off - is this the best way if applying velcro tape? can the gecko foot pad be put back on afterwards?
    thanks so much!
    Global Posts
    78 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by eddieras View Post
    hey guys - just got my touchstone and i'm amazed and loving the gecko feet! couple questions- does anyone rely solely on the gecko feet on the dash? if not do you use velcro tape right on the gecko pad? i've searched and seen many people have taken the gecko foot pad off - is this the best way if applying velcro tape? can the gecko foot pad be put back on afterwards?
    thanks so much!
    It just sticks pretty well to the dash. I would warn that a couple of days of sunlight makes it stick even better.... Maybe too well. I won't use Velcro, 'cause the adhesive will probably gunk up the dash.
    Global Posts
    63 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by eddieras View Post
    can the gecko foot pad be put back on afterwards?
    I'd be impressed if you took the sticky pad off in one piece. I'm not saying it couldn't be done but it would a lot more patience than I have. I started out thinking I would carefully lift it off in one piece but it wasn't long before I was tearing it off any way I could.
    Quote Originally Posted by gpgyo View Post
    I'd be impressed if you took the sticky pad off in one piece. I'm not saying it couldn't be done but it would a lot more patience than I have. I started out thinking I would carefully lift it off in one piece but it wasn't long before I was tearing it off any way I could.
    thanks for the heads up on that --- maybe i'll put a velcro pad on dash and velcro on a metal disc - then put the touchstone on that. i don't want to put velcro directly on the gecko.
    I had to do it. I orginally bought the touchstone for my wife so she could be quick and I would suck up the micro usb port (of course my door broke off and getting a replacement from Palm). She didn't like it and so I took the touchstone, bought another from best buy and hooked one up on the car and the other at home. Here are my pics. I have Ford F-150 Heritage edition and have Sirius in the car as well. I jam to both and listen to postcast and sportstalk. I love the set-up. Now if we could just do a little voice recognition and as budlight says...here we go...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Everbody fights, Nobody quits!!!

Bnite6 ---
    What did your wife hate about the Touchstone? Or was it the Pre/Pixi she didn't like?
    Global Posts
    22 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Spazo View Post
    Hey Mageus,

Just wondering what your setup was for power (make, model, etc). I'm looking for a non-springy / recoil cord so I can hide the cables and it's much easier to hide a straight cord than the coiled..

Thanks!
    Like my post says, I'm using the Palm branded car adaptor and cable.

I'm not sure what you mean by 'non-springy recoil cord.' I'm planning to get a 6" cable from Monoprice. You can get retractable cords (a la ZipLinq) from DealExtreme.com, but it takes a couple weeks to ship.
    for future reference i think you could trace the touchstone around a piece of plastic from recycled packaging and put the circle on the "gecko" sticky. then you can easily pull it off without damaging the sticky when you decide you liked it better when it stuck.

always better to adapt something to your needs than to surgically alter it for forever.
    Cat up a Treo (now on the Pre, yo!)
    Creepycat at Creepycast Podcast

Palm user since "the one after the pilot" and still horde a drawer full of pda models as well as cradles and fold up keyboards because i was too greedy to let them "go" when they could have "went".