Page 32 of 45 FirstFirst ... 22272829303132333435363742 ... LastLast
Like Tree8Likes
    Inside a 96' Chevy Cavalier Z24

I lost my only cup holder but its worth it for easy access charging and navigational use

Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    Have you parked in the sun yet? I'd like to know if sunlight will cause the touchstone to fall off. That's what happens to cause my toll pass to not stick to the windshield...
    Yes I've parked in the sun pretty much every day at work. I do have a problem where when I get in my car at lunch time and the Touchstone is hot from the sun, my phone does the "charging dance" but since it's right at a vent, turning the AC on and aiming the vent up cools the Touchstone off in a couple minutes and then the phone charges fine.
    Global Posts
    281 Global Posts
    My new set-up, in a 2008 Altima. I switched to the Center mount from an angled mount (which was accidentally broken) I like it far, far, better, as it is easily reached with my arm still on the arm rest.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    sweet. glad it's working for you. Hopefully this one lasts longer.
    Pixi: Sold. Pre: Passed off to another rep. Touchpad: Just a toy until Cloud syncing arrives, and a better doc editor.
    Global Posts
    90 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tedcas View Post
    My new set-up, in a 2008 Altima. I switched to the Center mount from an angled mount (which was accidentally broken) I like it far, far, better, as it is easily reached with my arm still on the arm rest.

Tedcas, do you have it plugged directly into the altima outlet or hardwired somewhere? I have a 2009 altima. Thanks...
    Last edited by pieler8; 05/23/2010 at 08:39 AM. Reason: found the mount he used
    Global Posts
    281 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pieler8 View Post
    Tedcas, do you have it plugged directly into the altima outlet or hardwired somewhere? I have a 2009 altima. Thanks...
    No, it's not hardwired. It's plugged into the port recessed in that large compartment in front of the shifter. I am now using the official Palm charger snaked through the dash, and out just under the Proclip mount (you can see where it comes out of the dash in the pics). The bottom molding piece easily pops off allowing access to move the charger wire around.
    Can save you some bucks on the mount if you're interested. Ted can vouch for me
    Global Posts
    281 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by crogs571 View Post
    Can save you some bucks on the mount if you're interested. Ted can vouch for me
    indeed!
    Global Posts
    260 Global Posts

Here's a few shots of the mount I just completed in my '03 Avalanche. Power is routed behind the dash to an aux power receptacle that's wired into the existing cigarette lighter wiring. The location is nice for visibility and GPS picks up there no problem. I run audio through my Jabra Cruiser.
    2007 Civic with Proclips base, Touchstone and USB cable, AGF case, 3M exterior double sided tape, moded USB Cig charger and a nice thin 3.5mm cable (removed from a retractable spool).

I like this setup because it puts the Pre+ at eye level for GPS navigation. Telenav runs great. It lowers the audio stream to give voice prompts.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by swieder; 05/24/2010 at 08:12 PM.
    Pilot 5K->Palm IIIc->Tungsten T/T2->Treo 650/680 -> Pre+ (1.4.5 & Uberkernel)
    Great thread folks - I have an Acura '07 MDX. Has anyone seen a post in this thread for that vehicle. I have a nice smooth surface just to the right of the steering wheel. I also have a factory A/C outlet in the center console where my right elbow rests. On the rear bottom of that console are the auxilary inputs to my sound system. I have two 9V power supplies nearby as well. Would the charge be faster and more consistent if I use the A/C outlet to power the TS or is there not that much difference between that and the 9V charge? Any help would be appreciated.....and if you've seen a post about a TS in an MDX, please refer me to the page in the thread. Mounting jobs above look great!
    Palm Pilot > Palm III > Handspring > CLIE N90Z > Treo 650 > Treo 700 > Treo 755 > Palm Pre >Pre 2
    Quote Originally Posted by IBM4VT View Post
    I actually just have the Proclip mount and stuck the Touchstone right on it. So far I haven't had any problems with either the Touchstone coming off the mount or the Pre coming off the Touchstone. If it hadn't stuck well I would have looked into some of the 3M stuff but since it seems to be working fine so far I'm going to stick with it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    Have you parked in the sun yet? I'd like to know if sunlight will cause the touchstone to fall off. That's what happens to cause my toll pass to not stick to the windshield...
    I had mine stuck to the Proclip base and it came off after a few months. The glue that keeps the touchstone stick base onto the touchstone melted. It was a big mess and I damaged the sticky base trying to clean things up. I guess I need to do the 3M double-sided tape.
    Treo 300->Treo 600->Treo 650->Treo 700p-> Palm Pre-> Samsung Galaxy S II Epic 4G Touch (32GB Launch-day Touchpad sustains my webOS need for now)
    Here's a shot with the phone undocked:

And with it on:

I went to Home Depot and purchased round Velcro stickers that hold very strong and I swear they were made to perfectly fit the back of the Touchstone. Never had to size up/down at all, just stuck it to the back. I didn't bother trying to work the wire within the dashboard so simply using the Sprint car charger. Also notice the vent directly above is pointed down which cools off phone during charging since it can warm up pretty quick. My passengers seem to like what I've done and they all swear it's going to fall off, but the power of magnets!
    I tried using the sprint charger on TS in my Honda CRV. As soon as I plugged it in, the yellow glow light on charger went out and no longer works. Also instantly killed my TS! I went to Best by and bought another TS for 20 bucks. I read that the Palm brand should work fine but I am a bit hesitant after my last experience.
    I picked up a bracketron universal vent mount from RatShack for $20.

Here's how it looks.

I'm using the gripper part of the mount to hold the stone. And I've got the mount connected to a vent to help cool the Pre. When using navigation and pandora and streaming it over bluetooth, my Pre would reach CPU & Battery temps in the mid to high 50's C!!! Now that it's mounted in front of the vent, the whole thing runs with temps in the low 30's C.

Thanks to pastorrich1 for the idea to use the bracketron mount
    Last edited by mu7efcer; 06/01/2010 at 11:29 AM.
    Twitter: dullgeek
    Global Posts
    281 Global Posts
    It looks like it holds an Iphone. Hard to say much more without seeing the base. I'd pass..
    Last edited by Tedcas; 05/31/2010 at 09:45 PM.
    How are you going to mount the Touchstone on that, as implied by the thread title?

edit -- That may work well if you find a way to glue a Touchstone on there. But remember the TS is kind of heavy as well, and has a cord attached. You'd have to mount it pretty securely. For only like $7 I'd buy it and start modding away!
    Global Posts
    453 Global Posts
    Well i just measured the ts and it measures 2.2" thinking that this thing would hold it like the bracketron above does. It is just a smaller bracket to hold it. would be less obtrusive. I have a mount in my vehicle but taking the van on a trip next week and looking at having the charger with me. hmmm thinking about trying it
    Quote Originally Posted by TopTongueBarry View Post
    The Sprint charger for the Palm may be functional now, but you are puitting your Pre and your Touchstone (and your car) at risk using it with a Touchstone charging a Pre. The Sprint dc car adapter can deliver 850 milliamps of current, and that is precisely the amount of current needed by the Pre and the Touchstone. No padding. You adapter could eventually fail, and when it does fail, it could take your Touchstone and your Pre with it, or what's even worse, it could catch fire from working it's **** off . Get a charger or adapter capable of delivering "at least" 1.0 amps of current, (1000 milliamps) to be safe.
    I'm lost with the charger issue. If I mount the Touchstone, can I just run a Palm Pre car charger to it? I would think all Palm Pre chargers would be compatible.