Page 31 of 45 FirstFirst ... 21262728293031323334353641 ... LastLast
Like Tree8Likes
    I'm looking to install a Touchstone in my car, but the only location I like would require the Touchstone to oriented in such a way that the Palm logo would be upside down. This would greatly annoy me.

Can anyone point me to a teardown of the touchstone aside from the ifixit page Palm Touchstone Charger Teardown - iFixit ? I'd like to do a little more feasibility estimates before I rip apart the Touchstone.... even tho they are only $20 right now.
    Last edited by noco37; 05/14/2010 at 03:31 PM.
    Global Posts
    108 Global Posts
    I thought I would post my updated pics. Went the way of proclip as some on here have recommended. Got the vertical extension plate, for dual touchstone action for my Pre and Pixi!

After seeing the quality of the proclip system, I see why many recommend it. It's worth the price and very solid.
    Quote Originally Posted by moe300 View Post
    I thought I would post my updated pics. Went the way of proclip as some on here have recommended. Got the vertical extension plate, for dual touchstone action for my Pre and Pixi!

[images removed]

After seeing the quality of the proclip system, I see why many recommend it. It's worth the price and very solid.
    I like that, but having the Palm logo upside down would drive me mad.
    Global Posts
    108 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by noco37 View Post
    I like that, but having the Palm logo upside down would drive me mad.

I know noco. It bothers me too... not so much when I have both phones on there charging, but still there no way around it. If I orient the ts the other way, the angle the phone is at just doesn't suit me. I'm going to stick some e-grips on the ts itself and just cover up the palm logo and it will give the phones added grip when charging.
    Why 2 phones? Oh yea, what radar detector are you running?
    Global Posts
    108 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by t-minus View Post
    Why 2 phones? Oh yea, what radar detector are you running?
    I have two lines I carry for myself, and my wife has a Pixi as well. When we travel, we can each put one on the ts.

The radar detector is a Passport 8500 X50 Blue.
    I installed my touchstone in my 07 mini cooper.
    there is alot of curved dash and not flat surfaces that i would mount it to and have it still be visible. so i took a spray paint can and mounted the touchstone to that in my cup holder. its the same height and width of the cup holder. and now it looks like it is floating

here is the link for the video.

Hey guys, earlier today I finished building my experimental attachment for the Touchstone. My goal was to make a cradle that would give me some peace of mind knowing that it won't fall off. I was originally going to mount it inside the dashboard, but that area had a lot of problems. Instead I used the spray-can lid mod from MacGeniusGreg (above me in this thread).

The plastic I harvested from one of those cheap 3-ring binders from Staples. It's made of vinyl, I believe, which means that superglue beads right off it. Actually, I tried 5 different kinds of glues, and none of them worked -- nor would I trust them to hold together under heat/ humidity. Instead I riveted the pieces together using a soldering iron; melting the plastic together. It holds strong.

The first one I made from a really hard plastic, but I hurt my wrists and arms trying to cut it. That stuff is dang hard to cut! I didn't like the white/ clear plastic, and there were no black binders at Staples, but I found a grey one. When scoring it's best not to score all the way to the edges, or else the material can tear easily. But if you stop just shy of the edge it stays really strong. Strong enough that I wasn't able to tear it using a lot of force.

The felt-bottom stuff is just some material I found at a craft store, it comes with a sticky side which was perfect.

The measurements are precise -- I designed it so that you can just place the Pre in the cradle and it will center on the magnets perfectly.

I also cut a hole to let heat escape. The headphone jack is accessible, and I can still hear the voice for VZ Nav loud and clear even though I forgot to make a hole for the speaker. Actually I think it's louder because the sound is deflected and channeled towards me.

The top corner is missing so I can pull off the phone easily. Works great.

Altogether I'm happy with my creation. It was fun to make, gave me something to do, required a bunch of problem solving, taught me how to build with plastic, and looks pretty cool when mounted. Don't mind the pic of my dirty car, spring cleaning hasn't really happened there yet (1998 Jetta).

If you want the PDF of the pattern and brief directions just PM me with your email
    Global Posts
    76 Global Posts
    That's really cool! Seems like a lot of work though. I've got to try that once I get my Pre later this week.
    Global Posts
    230 Global Posts
    I built a TS-car-mount myself (and try to start selling it in Germany now).
    It can be easily combined with HR/iGrip/Hama mounts:

Little hompage (german)

1st Prototype

1st "Test" batch:

Sorry for the bad image quality. It works perfect for me and since Navit is usable now, I also use my pre for navigation!

Marcel
    Quote Originally Posted by swieder View Post
    I have the same Proclip in my 2007 Civic. It is nice how the Pre is at eye level which makes for safer driving. What did you use to attach the TS to the Proclip?
    I actually just have the Proclip mount and stuck the Touchstone right on it. So far I haven't had any problems with either the Touchstone coming off the mount or the Pre coming off the Touchstone. If it hadn't stuck well I would have looked into some of the 3M stuff but since it seems to be working fine so far I'm going to stick with it.
    Quote Originally Posted by mgmft View Post

Marcel
    That's pretty neat! But I see you bolted it to the dashboard
    Quote Originally Posted by IBM4VT View Post
    I actually just have the Proclip mount and stuck the Touchstone right on it. So far I haven't had any problems with either the Touchstone coming off the mount or the Pre coming off the Touchstone. If it hadn't stuck well I would have looked into some of the 3M stuff but since it seems to be working fine so far I'm going to stick with it.
    Have you parked in the sun yet? I'd like to know if sunlight will cause the touchstone to fall off. That's what happens to cause my toll pass to not stick to the windshield...
    Quote Originally Posted by mgmft View Post
    It can be easily combined with HR/iGrip/Hama mounts:

Little hompage (german)

1st Prototype

1st "Test" batch:

Sorry for the bad image quality. It works perfect for me and since Navit is usable now, I also use my pre for navigation!

Marcel
    Your sheet metal design looks great. Are you planning to sell them? I would like to buy one.
    Pilot 5K->Palm IIIc->Tungsten T/T2->Treo 650/680 -> Pre+ (1.4.5 & Uberkernel)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jahooba View Post
    I just mounted mine there today (I don't care what RPM's I'm running). It attaches very easily without any other complicated mounting solutions. The problem with mine is that it's on an angle. I want my phone nearly vertical, or at least 60 degrees or so.

The holster I'm designing is getting closer to completion, and I think I've found some glue to keep it all together. I think I may have to use some super strong double-sided tape though, which isn't a problem, but I'll have to change the design a little bit (and best of all: no time wasted waiting for glue to dry!).
    Yeah, the angle is horrible. This morning I moved the Touchstone to the gear shift. The angle is more tolerable, but I lost the megaphone effect the control panel area created for the speakerphone.
    Quote Originally Posted by shopharim View Post
    Yeah, the angle is horrible. This morning I moved the Touchstone to the gear shift. The angle is more tolerable, but I lost the megaphone effect the control panel area created for the speakerphone.
    Yeah, that area would have worked pretty good as a sound deflector or channel or whatever. I get a similar effect now with my cradle mod.

I couldn't find a way to mount it elegantly in that dashboard area, so I moved mine down to the gearshift area as well. I'm surprised how nice it is there, and easy to grab. Although I did lose the use of my beloved cup holder
    Here is my very simple install in my new car. I just popped a little 3m tape on the bottom and ran my cable. I love the Ford/MS sync with my Pre charging on the stone.
    Quote Originally Posted by rdgoeson4ever View Post
    Here is my very simple install in my new car. I just popped a little 3m tape on the bottom and ran my cable. I love the Ford/MS sync with my Pre charging on the stone.
    Hey, you have to put the location of the image itself as the link, not the link to your flickr page. Right click on your picture and go to "copy image location", then add that link to the "insert picture" toggle here at p|c

I like the interior of your car. Very clean looking!

jahooba,

Thank you, I was wondering what was going on.

Rd.
    Quote Originally Posted by rdgoeson4ever View Post
    Can you post a closeup of how and where you ran the power cable?