Like Tree8Likes
    Global Posts
    844 Global Posts
    any ideas for a 2002 nissan maxima?
    Global Posts
    63 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CWHO View Post
    Tacroy

"a few power inverters I have used before (never for the pre or the touchstone) and I was wondering if trying them would be a "bad thing". I read earlier that worse case is it will fry the TS, fry my pre and fry my car if it isn't the right one.... is this legit?"

By power inverters do you mean a box that goes back up to 120AC? I see no reason why that would not work but it is totally unnecessary. You need 1 Amp ( .75 amps seems to work for some but MORE than 500mA which is the old USB standard) at 5 Volts DC. If you look at the specs on a generic car charger adapter for USB you can find one that will work. THere are many posts on the forum about this. Or you can find a 1Amp DC to DC converter on Ebay for about $15 and wire in a USB power port or USB cable directly. More elegant.
    While it could happen, I think the risk of frying a TS by powering it from an inverter or otherwise is fairly low. Either the TS will get enough power to work or it won't. The larger risk is when trying to power a TS with something not designed to output as much current as the TS wants. I would expect that even a modest inverter could handle the TS' needs.

Recognize that an inverter takes your car's DC power and converts it to AC. When you plug the TS' wall wart into the inverter it will convert the inverter's AC output back to DC. There are inefficiencies introduced with each power conversion. As long as your car is running this is probably not an issue. If I were to use an inverter in a car for this, I would connect it to a fuse that is switched so it turns off when the car is off. If you're not going to do this (or if you'll be using a cigarette lighter plug that's not switched) you should use an inverter with a low standby draw; otherwise, jumper cables will be your friend.
    See my post #499...I use this power inverter...No problems with the Touchstone...Ken

Amazon.com: Coleman 400 Watt Power Inverter - 800 Watts Peak Power #PMP400: Home Improvement
    Global Posts
    63 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by kenhiraihnl View Post
    See my post #499...I use this power inverter...No problems with the Touchstone...Ken

Amazon.com: Coleman 400 Watt Power Inverter - 800 Watts Peak Power #PMP400: Home Improvement
    The TS requires 5V * 1A = 5W. That 400W power inverter could charge all of our Pres!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by gpgyo View Post
    The TS requires 5V * 1A = 5W. That 400W power inverter could charge all of our Pres!!!
    I know it's overkill for the Touchstone, but I use the AC outlets for other purposes, like a NiMH battery charger, 7" portable TV, etc. It's convenient to have AC outlets in the dash. The 12V power outlet (cigarette lighter socket) is protected by a 15 amp fuse. They're proprietary Toyota fuses (not carried by NAPA), but I have a few extra just in case.
    Last edited by kenhiraihnl; 04/05/2010 at 10:17 PM.
    You guys are probably aware of this...When my Pre rings while on the dash-mounted Touchstone, I just touch the "phone" icon on the pre display, and carry on a normal conversation with the caller. No need for my SoundID 200 Bluetooth earpiece. I use Speed Dial Plus, and the totally hands-free convenience, plus charge-while-drive is awesome.
    -Ken
    Last edited by kenhiraihnl; 04/10/2010 at 03:02 AM.
    I have to use my Bluetooth hands-free speakerphone (Parrot MiniKit Slim Chic) in my car 'cause the phone's speakerphone isn't loud enough to hear (in the car) even with the phone in my hand right next to my ear. The Parrot works very nicely, though, so I just have to remember to turn it on and turn Bluetooth on my Pre on when I get in the car.
    Quote Originally Posted by delta7 View Post
    any ideas for a 2002 nissan maxima?
    I have an 02 i35 should be the same car (not sure what yours is like on the inside).... i mounted it on the center console right past the arm rest so i can control it with my right hand while resting my arm.. works perfect!!!!! also keeps out of sun lights view which is also a huge plus! here is my post...

http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...ml#post1766284
    MatterOfFactJack
    Quote Originally Posted by Bag of Leaves View Post
    I have to use my Bluetooth hands-free speakerphone (Parrot MiniKit Slim Chic) in my car 'cause the phone's speakerphone isn't loud enough to hear (in the car) even with the phone in my hand right next to my ear. The Parrot works very nicely, though, so I just have to remember to turn it on and turn Bluetooth on my Pre on when I get in the car.
    too bad about your volume...i have my volume on max, and i can converse very well as long as the radio is off or muted...maybe you can go into 'sounds and ringtones' and tweak your volumes...btw, my ringtone is very attention-getting...it's 'Rolex5' from this link...
    Minus4Plus6.com - Rolex .mp3 Ringtones & Videos
    Quote Originally Posted by TopTongueBarry View Post
    The Pre looks so cool hanging on the Touchstone charging base, The folks at Palm must have known this was going to happen.....

If you've mounted your Pre in the car and are using the Touchstone adapter, this thread is for you. Show the world how cool the Pre looks mounted in your car. We don't care how dumpy the car might be, as long as you've got a Touchstone adapter with a Palm Pre attached in your car, we want to see it!
    Thanks! I have an '06 CTS-V and just got a touchstone. I may have to check this out...
    too bad about your volume...i have my volume on max, and i can converse very well as long as the radio is off or muted...maybe you can go into 'sounds and ringtones' and tweak your volumes...btw, my ringtone is very attention-getting...it's 'Rolex5' from this link...
    Minus4Plus6.com - Rolex .mp3 Ringtones & Videos
    My volumes are all the way up and work fine normally, just not in the car very well. Of course, in the car I'm concentrating on driving, not talking/listening, so that makes comprehending the talking (and thinking of what I'm going to say) even more difficult.

It is fine, though, 'cause using the hands-free Bluetooth thing is fun. Ppl still have to repeat stuff and will hear pauses in my talking since I'm driving, but that's par for the course.

I don't have a problem hearing my ringtone (unless I'm in a loud place where nobody can hear their ringtones, of course).
    +1
    2005 Chrysler Pacifica

I already had an aux-in/ipod-in adapter for my factory stereo.

Using the Verizon Palm Pre Plus hard case that has the cutout for the touchstone. I like it... I just wish it came in black.

Touchstone charger
    Palm car charger
    Monster iSoniTalk Microphone Headphone adapter

I used industrial strength velcro to mount the touchstone and the mic adapter. Excuse the mess. Pollen is a nightmare right now.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Global Posts
    109 Global Posts
    Im planning a touchstone for my pt cruiser.
    Global Posts
    109 Global Posts
    Ya think a 100w would suffice?
    Quote Originally Posted by Sexton View Post
    Ya think a 100w would suffice?
    100w DC/AC inverter should work just fine...I used the 400w because it was laying around, and it fit the pocket in my Rav4 dash perfectly...I use the AC outlets to charge my newly-acquired Livespeakr too, which, BTW is a fantastic external speaker for the Pre...unbelievable sound quality...
    -Ken
    Global Posts
    219 Global Posts
    I've finally got the touchstone into the car using the TS and the sprint cable. I'll post pictures tonight possibly. One thing I am dealing with now is how to get my music and phone calls into the stereo. My stereo is the stock and does not have bluetooth. It's also one of those double sized stereos. I've been looking around and mostly I am finding single slot stereos starting at $170. Which wouldn't look good, and the double size ones are all freaking expensive and have tv screens and crap on them. Is there a better/ cheaper way to add bluetooth music / navigation from the pre to my car stereo? Voice calls would be neat but not a priority. Right now I am using a tape adapter, but it looks janky. Are there standalone bluetooth things that I can install behind my dash? I don't have another power plug free, but can't you split them and have one behind the dash that has something plugged in?

Thanks!
    Quote Originally Posted by tacroy View Post
    I've finally got the touchstone into the car using the TS and the sprint cable. I'll post pictures tonight possibly. One thing I am dealing with now is how to get my music and phone calls into the stereo. My stereo is the stock and does not have bluetooth. It's also one of those double sized stereos. I've been looking around and mostly I am finding single slot stereos starting at $170. Which wouldn't look good, and the double size ones are all freaking expensive and have tv screens and crap on them. Is there a better/ cheaper way to add bluetooth music / navigation from the pre to my car stereo? Voice calls would be neat but not a priority. Right now I am using a tape adapter, but it looks janky. Are there standalone bluetooth things that I can install behind my dash? I don't have another power plug free, but can't you split them and have one behind the dash that has something plugged in?

Thanks!
    How about one of these?
    Amazon.com: Motorola MOTOROKR T505 Bluetooth Speakerphone: Cell Phones & Service
    Pilot 5K->Palm IIIc->Tungsten T/T2->Treo 650/680 -> Pre+ (1.4.5 & Uberkernel)
    Global Posts
    16 Global Posts
    So I've been using the touchstone in my car for a few months now (VW Jetta), and it's been working great. I used the strong velcro circles from Lowe's to attach it to my dash. However, now that it's warming up, the hot sun on my black dash is causing the adhesive to melt a bit, and the touchstone will slide right off my dash if the car is left outside for more than a couple hours. I think I may have to get a windshield sun shade or something, but I'm thinking that during peak summer it will still slide off anyway, even with extra shade. Anyone else have this problem? Or any better adhesives or alternative options to keep it from melting off? Thanks for any advice
    Quote Originally Posted by mordy07 View Post
    Or any better adhesives or alternative options to keep it from melting off? Thanks for any advice
    Use 3m dual lock super velcro. It wont over heat and loose adhesion.
    3M Dual Lock SJ3870 1" x 1 yds
    Pilot 1000 -> Pilot 5000 ->Palm Pilot Professional -> HP 620LX -> TRG Pro -> Palm V -> Palm Vx -> Palm M505 -> Palm i705 -> Palm Tungsten|T -> Samsung i500 -> Treo 600->Treo 650 -> Treo 600-> Treo 700p ->Centro ->Treo 800w + Redfly C8n -> Palm Pre -> HP Touchpad
    R.I.P Palm 1996-2011