Page 26 of 45 FirstFirst ... 16212223242526272829303136 ... LastLast
Like Tree8Likes
    Heres mine. I'm using Palm car charger and 3M double side foam tape. I warped the touchstone with woodgrain vinyl to match the center console.
    Global Posts
    79 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by GMoney749 View Post
    Haven't quite figured out how to clean up the cabling yet, but here's mine in my Tundra.

that looks awesome man! i just got a new tundra this week and im looking to mount my TS in there. Do you have anymore pics? like from the side for example?
    Quote Originally Posted by MAX_POWERS View Post
    Heres mine. I'm using Palm car charger and 3M double side foam tape. I warped the touchstone with woodgrain vinyl to match the center console.
    my setup looks like that
    Global Posts
    63 Global Posts
    I installed a TS in an A4 this weekend. I didn't take any pics but can if anyone is interested. Not much to see that hasn't already been posted. Its on a Panavise mount that extends from the right of the radio. I shortened the mount because it was longer than necessary and I was bumping my knee on it. I secured the TS to the mount with screws by removing the sticky stuff, taking off the three screws that hold the back on, and drilling two holes in the back. Solid as a rock. I wanted to drill small holes in the mount and replace the TS' screws with some the same size only slightly longer but had no luck finding such small screws. If you know where I can get the right size, let me know and I'll change for a truly clean looking install. For power I mounted a Mean Well SD-15A-5 DC-DC power regulator in the footwell (fully discussed in another thread.)

The only thing I did that I haven't seen on this thread (although I may have just missed it) is I used a retractable micro USB cable. The gap I had to pass the wire through was too narrow for a regular cable so I took apart a retractable since its cable is flat rather than cutting a notch in the trim piece next to the radio. Works fine.
    Last edited by gpgyo; 03/29/2010 at 11:20 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by gpgyo View Post
    The only thing I did that I haven't seen on this thread (although I may have just missed it) is I used a retractable micro USB cable. The gap I had to pass the wire through was too narrow for a regular cable so I took apart a retractable since its cable is flat rather than cutting a notch in the trim piece next to the radio. Works fine.
    I would like to see a pic of the retractable cable and how you installed it. I bought one for my car, but have not used it yet.
    Pilot 5K->Palm IIIc->Tungsten T/T2->Treo 650/680 -> Pre+ (1.4.5 & Uberkernel)
    Global Posts
    63 Global Posts
    Not much to see, really.

There's a couple of inches of cable that extends from the trim to the TS in the picture. Now even less shows because I tucked it under the bottom corner of the mount. The end of the cable that goes into the TS had to be shaved (a Dremel made short work of that chore.)

For a better picture of the cable, go to Fry's and search for "retractable micro USB." The one I used is Fry's item #6047198. I fully extended the cable, stuck a flat screwdriver in the housing and just popped it open. Slip the cable from the housing and discard the parts you don't need.
    Hello,

I made an adapter for mine to tilt it up a bit more so that it would mount on the dash.
    I made in in our shop LGM so it was easy but I also put it up on Shapeways and Thinigverse

If that does not work and people want them I can probably make some here. Not that cheap though. About $40 apiece.
    I also use the Blackberry bluetooth stereo gateway to the Prius input in the armrest console. Works very well.
    Charles
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Anybody who lives in the desert with 110+ exterior temperatures: How does your TouchStone withstand being baked in a parked car in direct sun all day?
    I have this Xentris Universal car mount that I picked up from Best Buy:

I am currently using the holder and vent mount in my wife's minivan, but I had the other stick-on piece left, so I decided to mod it a bit to fit my car.

If you look at the mounts, there is a clip that secures the vent mount/stick-on mount to the holder - I dremeled off the platic clip so the surface was flat, then superglued it to the back of the touchstone (fit perfectly into the center area), and attached the base to my dash with some gray 3M double-sided tape:

(nevermind the pegged oil pressure gauge - it is not working )

It has held up great for over a month. All I have to do is do a wire tuck for the charging cable.
    Last edited by DryBear; 04/01/2010 at 03:27 PM. Reason: found a bigger pic of original mount
    Global Posts
    453 Global Posts
    I like that mount!!!! the arm is nice lets you manipulate it good too!!!

How much was that mount? I need to get some pics of mine mounted in my truck had a plate fabbed up for me the gecko pad sticks to it with no issues. This would be cool if we could get a piece of metal cut to the exact size of the TS and then use the gecko pad to stick to that and then glue that piece to the mount. Then you would still be able to remove it if need be!!!!
    Yeah, the arm has a nice amount of adjustability, and the ball socket adds more adjustment.

The mount was about $20-25 at Best Buy, but don't know if they still carry it. It is Xentris model 60-1941-01.
    I just got a Toyota RAV4 and have no idea where I'm going to put the TS.
    Any ideas from RAV4 owners (pics would be great)?
    Thanks.
    Global Posts
    219 Global Posts
    So i'm debating doing this, but have some concerns I hope you knowledgeable guys could clear up!
    I have a few power inverters I have used before (never for the pre or the touchstone) and I was wondering if trying them would be a "bad thing". I read earlier that worse case is it will fry the TS, fry my pre and fry my car if it isn't the right one.... is this legit? Or is worse case that it just won't charge? Or is it something in between? I'd like to avoid paying $20+ if what I already have will work, but certainly don't want to risk the pre / TS / car for it!!!

Thanks!
    Quote Originally Posted by patchs View Post
    I just got a Toyota RAV4 and have no idea where I'm going to put the TS.
    Any ideas from RAV4 owners (pics would be great)?
    Thanks.
    see post #499...that's my rav4...works for me...
    Quote Originally Posted by kenhiraihnl View Post
    see post #499...that's my rav4...works for me...
    I tried a bunch of different positions, including the one you have, but in the end, I bought some velcro and did this....
    Attached Images Attached Images
    i tried that awhile ago and my phone slid off the touch stone with every turn i made
    I would have liked to have found a cup holder mount that would have worked with the Touchstone but I believe this is a good set up.
    The velcro appears strong holding the TS to the area near the shifter.
    I'm not crazy about the audio cable stretched out but no choice since the aux in is on the other side.
    Patchs,
    >audio cable stretched out but no choice since the aux in is on the other side.
    Try a bluetooth adaptor. I use the blackberry one which works incredibly well. The jack on my previous phone failed because I was constantly plugging and unplugging it in the car. Plus it is really great to just get into the car and drop you phone onto the touchstone and have it connected.
    Tacroy

"a few power inverters I have used before (never for the pre or the touchstone) and I was wondering if trying them would be a "bad thing". I read earlier that worse case is it will fry the TS, fry my pre and fry my car if it isn't the right one.... is this legit?"

By power inverters do you mean a box that goes back up to 120AC? I see no reason why that would not work but it is totally unnecessary. You need 1 Amp ( .75 amps seems to work for some but MORE than 500mA which is the old USB standard) at 5 Volts DC. If you look at the specs on a generic car charger adapter for USB you can find one that will work. THere are many posts on the forum about this. Or you can find a 1Amp DC to DC converter on Ebay for about $15 and wire in a USB power port or USB cable directly. More elegant.
    great ideas guys